Looking for my Father's 54 FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for my Father's 54 FL

I know this is a longshot for a lot of reasons but I am looking for the bike in the photo attached. It is a 54 with chrome tins, light blue frame and the name "Norm" on the seat skirt. My father sold it near Pittsburgh PA in the early 1960's but didn't keep any records so I don't have the VIN.

If you've seen it I'd love to hear from you. Otherwise maybe you can suggest a way to track down a VIN using the owner name and address.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Originally posted by purplepanhead View Post
    I know this is a longshot for a lot of reasons but I am looking for the bike in the photo attached. It is a 54 with chrome tins, light blue frame and the name "Norm" on the seat skirt. My father sold it near Pittsburgh PA in the early 1960's but didn't keep any records so I don't have the VIN.

If you've seen it I'd love to hear from you. Otherwise maybe you can suggest a way to track down a VIN using the owner name and address.
    This sounds like a good project. I hate to be the frequent promoter here on the forum but this could be an interesting thread in the Member Bike Build forum. Its a build of a different kind and could help anyone that follows to trace and document histories. Badger34's comment about state records is a good one and good place to start. I would also look also to friends of your father for comments. One other more specific group to ask is the Allegheny Mountain Chapter AMCA http://amcaamc.com . AMCAAMC are a great bunch of enthusiasts from the Pittsburgh region and I'll bet they could answer some of the where to start questions like what badger34 suggested. They may even know the bike. The good thing is your are starting with a period photo and some tell-tale leads like the "Norm" signature. Good luck and consider my suggestion of telling the story of your hunt. I am always willing to help get people started by helping write or anything else. This is already a great story.

Mike Love
    AMCA Forum

Comment

Hello purplepanhead if you don't object I would like to post your photo in our Vintage Pics of the Day feature here on the forum. Maybe we need to pin this to the proverbial milk carton.

Mike Love
      Last edited by ihrescue; 12-09-2020, 12:58 PM.

Comment

badger34

I followed your firs suggestion and found the same website. He referred me to the PA state Law Library. I talked to a librarian there this morning and he confirmed that they have some records from this period. Unfortunately due to COVID he could not access the records because no one is allowed in the building right now. It appears that this avenue will be on hold until the pandemic blows over.

Many thanks for your suggestions though. I think there is good potential here.

Comment

Mike,

I like your suggestions. I will post to the other forums. Feel free to use the photo anywhere you think might help.

Comment

Mike,

I like your suggestions. I will post to the other forums. Feel free to use the photo anywhere you think might help.
            Excellent thanks. Also are you near the Pittsburg area? If you are I would highly recommend (here I go promoting again) joining the Allegheny Mountain Chapter AMCA. They have some great road runs.

Mike Love

Comment

Working...
            X