Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTB HD bike, running or project. Just started into antique bikes. Please read..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB HD bike, running or project. Just started into antique bikes. Please read..

Hey guys, my name is Jason and I live in Spartanburg, SC. I have been a member of the AMCA for about 7 months now and I am looking for my first older Harley. I have always had and worked on metrics, but not ready for my first antique bike. I was set to buy a 79 ironhead xls this weekend from a guy on CL an two hours from me but he sold it today. Ugghhh. I don't trust buying on eBay. But don't have a problem paying for shipping if it is a bike from one of you guys or reputable forum like here or ciamag or shop. My budget tells me I am looking for a 70's ironhead, k model, (wishful thinking) WLA, WL), or similar. If any of you guys have or know someone that has a running or project bike, motor or frame, just a start for me to get into the wonderful world of an American made antique motorcycle's, please please please message me or give me a lead to one. I have fabricated both metrics into (bobber and chopper inspired) bikes. Please help this newbie get into this wonderful world of American iron. Thanks so much... Jason

My email is jasonwillis29307@yahoo.com.
    Thanks guys

Comment

Jason welcome to the addiction. If you don't have any luck thru the forum check out the dates for a National meet near you and there are always a lot of bikes for sale at the National meets. Good thing there is you get to touch what you see and talk to the owner and make your own opinion and or deal. Anyway, good luck Ross Metcalfe AMCA VP
      Ross

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply Ross. Yes, I would much rather buy in person, but I tell you, for some reason, there are absolutely no bike or auto meets in a 4 or 5 hour radius from me. My local AMCA chapter had antique bikes on main which was a show. There was a little swap meet but mostly parts or knucks, or pans and a few 45's show quality bikes for $15,000 to $22,000. And I was to have one to build or work on. Or people on CL near me have nothing for sale under 1980. Man I was bummed about that ironhead. Anyway, I will keep searching and if you guys hear of a lead and think, "I remember that post on AMCA and this project will be great for that guy" please message me. Oh, btw, I was gonna post my above message caimag.com, but I don't see a post new thread button. But I have posted there before? Any ideas about that? Thanks again guys

Comment

Are you sure you were signed in on that forum? Are you looking to restore a bike or something close, bobber, chopper?

Comment

Since you are now an AMCA member, place and ad in the Trash and Treasure portion of the club magazine, it's free, and see what comes of that as well. It make take some time but don't be so anxious that you jump on the first thing that comes down the pike. Take your time and do a lot of research on what you want so that when you do look at something you know what you are looking at and can make an informed decision and make sure it is a project you are willing to take on from and time and money perspective.
            Good Luck!

Tom (Rollo) hardy
            AMCA #12766

Comment

Hey Pan, yeah, I am signed in. I had a new password sent and still the same. I don't know but I'm gonna email the webmaster. I would really like to restore back to close factory. If it was a 70's ironhead, probably change the bars to pull backs and maybe dish the tank. Anything older, WL, K model, even a 50' XL etc.. defiantly close factory. I am really looking for a more than likely non runner (due to my budget) to restore to a runner. First metric I got it was in running condition. I was new to motorcycles and wanted to learn. I tore it down, fabed a rear fender, changed the bars, made fabrications so I could put on a spring solo seat, fabed a sissy bar and fender struts. Second metric was a basket case I tore down to the frame and re did the top and bottom of the motor, so I could learn a motorcycle V motor and all sheet metal etc. But I am ready for my first antique Harley. I have always wanted one. I have been reading the history of each model, Manuals, and research stuff from the AMCA library. Thanks again

Comment

That is a good idea Tom. I didn't think about trash and treasure. I have been doing a lot of research and have looked at a couple of bikes so far. One was an 74 ironhead that the seller didn't tell me he already made a mess of the frame trying to chop it. Very poor welds and his streach was terrible. The other was a "whole panhead" that was just a frame that was so rusted, it was beyond repair, and he wouldn't just sell the motor. The 79 Ironhead I was going to look at this weekend was in great shape but I wasn't able to drive the two hours to the seller until then and he sold it. I will make a add in t and t next issue. Thanks again.. Jason

Comment

Hello Jason, and welcome to the AMCA. I was at a swap meet in Ft. Meyers yesterday, and there was a 'messed with' but all together 1969 Sportster for sale by Thunder Bay Cycles out of Tampa, Fl. I looked at it, and even thought about it, but I have too many bikes, and my wife would have . . . . Well, been upset if I had dragged it home The price seemed attractive at (somewhere over) $2K but I don't know anything about ironhead Sportsters, and I don't know what is correct, parts wise. I am looking for a project, and I love doing the research, and parts hunting for a project. However, (and take this to the bank) know about the era of bike you are looking for. There are a lot of parts out there for Sportsters, but every bike has it's rare parts and you should know what they are, and what years they apply to. The fun thing about a project bike is the learning process; and even though it seem daunting at first, you slowly become an expert because you will look at the minutia, and details that everyone else ignores. Of course, knowledge always comes with a price tag, and that is where your homework can save you some grief, and wasted money on wrong parts. There are people here at this forum that know everything about Sportsters so I would ask them what years they would recommend, and what to look out for. Again welcome to the AMCA.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    Hello Jason, and welcome to the AMCA. I was at a swap meet in Ft. Meyers yesterday, and there was a 'messed with' but all together 1969 Sportster for sale by Thunder Bay Cycles out of Tampa, Fl. I looked at it, and even thought about it, but I have too many bikes, and my wife would have . . . . Well, been upset if I had dragged it home The price seemed attractive at (somewhere over) $2K but I don't know anything about ironhead Sportsters, and I don't know what is correct, parts wise. I am looking for a project, and I love doing the research, and parts hunting for a project. However, (and take this to the bank) know about the era of bike you are looking for. There are a lot of parts out there for Sportsters, but every bike has it's rare parts and you should know what they are, and what years they apply to. The fun thing about a project bike is the learning process; and even though it seem daunting at first, you slowly become an expert because you will look at the minutia, and details that everyone else ignores. Of course, knowledge always comes with a price tag, and that is where your homework can save you some grief, and wasted money on wrong parts. There are people here at this forum that know everything about Sportsters so I would ask them what years they would recommend, and what to look out for. Again welcome to the AMCA.
                    Jason!

If you are a masochist, by all means, go for a molested '69 Sportster!

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

You are such and asshole, Tom and you have no competition in that department. Jason is asking for support, and advice which is why people join the AMCA. I don't know Sportsters but other do, and getting a conversation started is the first step. If you know a lot about 1969 Sportsters, then enlighten us with your profound insights. Dumb-ass replies like yours are an embarrassment to this forum, and our club; and do nothing to further involvement by new members. If you have a problem with me, send me a P.M. but don't seek revenge at other's expense. I await another one of your insipid, childish rebuttals.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Hello Jason, I have been a member of the AMCA for a whopping month but since I just went through a year ago what you are going through now I have a few tips that may help. The more you know about whatever model you are looking at the better off you are, the more you know up front the less to learn the hard way. Please ask questions, "engine rebuilt huh, who did the work?, "oh, Bob at his repair shop about a month ago", " Bob have a lot of experience with Harley's?, "no, but he is really good with lawnmowers and he's cheap too". Better that conversation before you hand over your hard earned cash. And my favorite, 80% complete. What exactly is 80%? That 20% could cost you $3000 and 6 months at swap meets. Is it worth it? You bet it is. Go bust some knuckles and enjoy the journey.

Comment

Thanks so much Eric and Turbo,
                          You guys are correct, doing research is one of the best parts of restoring a bike for me. Like the two metrics I wouldn't saw restore, I would saw fix and modify. The first thing I did when I was 100% sure the deal was done on these models, was buy a shop manual, a parts manual and a Haynes book. Plus other books of motorcycle electrics, motorcycle carburetors, and one on motorcycle engines in general and on these first two builds, learned the how to fix anything that goes wrong with either, granted they are both metrics. So what's the next step, an american made bike, a Harley, but not just buy a running bike that I do maintenance on. One to build, find parts for, know the part number for whatever part and all the bolt torque specs and an antique bike. By doing research, I knew a knuck, J or JD, Pan would be way out of my budget. That's why I decided on a flathead or ironhead, and a more than likely basket case, which I don't find cause I love learning new bikes. I already have a book on 45's and a book on K Models/Ironhead. I just wish I knew which one it would be so I could start looking for NOS that I would replace regardless, bushing and such. And it doesn't even matter how long it would take me to complete. I just like working on bikes and learning new things. So far Irons have been in my $2000 basket budget. There are plenty of 90's Sportsters for that price but I would love a 50' or 60's model or, wishful thinking a K model or flathead. Turbo, mind me asking what model you have? Thanks again guys

Comment

Hello Jason,
                            I have a 79 Ironhead. I had originally bought one in 1978 from Lasobek Harley Davidson in Fairmont, WV. Had to sell in 1981, sometimes life gets in the way of the fun stuff. I started looking for another one in 2015, I wanted one as original as possible (rude awakening on its way) and it had to be red like my first one. After a while it seemed like every 79 that was affordable has been modified. Some to the point where I had to study the pictures to make sure it was a 79. I finally found one in Maine on EBay, 6950 documented miles, stock except for an S&S carb and it was red. The "runs out as new" was a stretch but overall I couldn't be happier. It took 13 months to find this bike. Keep us informed of your progress, stories like yours are the best part of a forum. For the record,my latest 79 was $4340 plus $650 shipping. The original was $2900, with tax, title and license $3314.

Comment

I think I need to apologize for my language, and to Jason, and 99.999% of the AMCA membership. I was out of line, and there is no place for that here.

Sounds like you're on the right track, Jason. It's great to find the perfect deal, but sometimes it's can be more fun to go with your heart and pay too much for some stupid piece of junk that you can't live without
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X