1939 Big Twin Rear Fork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 Big Twin Rear Fork

Need a 1939 BT rear springer fork. Will purchase outright and/or trade my 1940 fork. Thanks

'39, and '40 are the same kicked forward rigid fork. The spring fork may have different numbers between 3 and 5, but that can be verified with Palmer's new book. The rockers are all the same and that would be no boss at the zerk fitting.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I believe he is right that 1939 and 1940 BT rigid forks are different. The basic fork is the same but the brake anchor is different. The late 1938 fork might also be the same as 1939.

Jerry

Originally posted by exeric View Post
      '39, and '40 are the same kicked forward rigid fork. The spring fork may have different numbers between 3 and 5, but that can be verified with Palmer's new book. The rockers are all the same and that would be no boss at the zerk fitting.

Comment

I've had a number of early forks and the differences I saw in the brake anchor seemed to show up when electric welding came on line. I'd like to see pictures of the subtle differences, as I have a friend that's building a 1940EL; and I also don't want to mislead Shane.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

I should have dug out Bruce's new book before I spouted off. I see there are significant differences in the brake anchors.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
            I should have dug out Bruce's new book before I spouted off...
            I'm afraid to get mine dirty.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

That is funny Tom; but Bruce wants people to get them dirty and dog eared so they'll buy another copy.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Eric!

I'm glad I kept one copy of the first edition, as it has info missing in the second..
                (And my correction notes are more accurate.)

If I get laid up, I'll have time to study the second, with clean fingers.

....Cotten
                PS: I already ordered the first three copies of the second.
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-22-2015, 02:03 PM.
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

IMG_0555.jpgIMG_0553.jpg

Here is the difference in the brake anchors; the blasted fork is the 1940 fork and the painted one is a 1936-7 fork. A 1939 anchor would have been welded and brazed to the fork. 1939 forks would also have the neck slot milled into the side of the stem for the early dampner pin. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X