• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the 55's?

Not an antique owner, but I want to be.
    Looking for a 1955 Harley Panhead.
    Went to the Dixon meet this summer.
    Great show, cool bikes, cool vendors.
    I am turning 60 in a couple months and have been looking for a birthday bike.
    Craigslist and ebay are not getting it done.
    Where are the 55's?

Welcome to the circus. Myself, and probably others will say "Keep looking". After you locate what you think is the ideal bike, "Slow down". Take plenty of pictures and post them on here or Caimag.com to get a pretty accurate assessment of what is right and what is wrong. Make SURE you get pics of the "Vin" number and "Belly numbers" if possible and get someone here or on Caimag.com to verify that it is not a re-stamp. This is most important along with correct year frame and sheet metal which can and will make or break what seems like a fantastic deal. It all depends on what you are looking for in the end. Are you looking to have it judged and be a "Winners Circle" bike?? Or are you looking to just have a dependable rider in your birth year. This will also affect value greatly.

Good luck in your search and ask questions, questions, questions, and take pics, pics, pics.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I would like for it to be mostly 'correct' but it doesn't have to look new. Primarily I want to ride it so it won't stay brand-new looking very long anyway. I'll take your advice and slow down a little. $49k doesn't sound like a smoking deal anyway for one that isn't restored. Here's the link: http://www.walnecks.com/motorcycle/1...ark-il-60035-0
      My understanding is the engine serial number on a four is on the left side of the block below the seat and the SN on the frame is behind the left rear spring. Is that correct? Is the 'Belly numbers' something different? Thanks for your help.
      Jim

Comment

Okay is it just me that is confused or was they guy looking for a 55 pan and some how we end up with a 40 Indian 4? One things for sure to look for is the heads on a 55 and the valve covers only have six screws holding them down. Somehow the MOCO thought that the twelve they had been using were too many and for 55 only used 6 and then must have heard all the grief and changed them back to twelve. Only way to make sure is check the date codes on them. I know there are plenty of other distinguishing things but that one is a dead give away and hard to find.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
        AMCA #12766

Comment

Confused me too. Looking for a 55 pan. Have been doing research
          for a while now. Have looked into a number of bikes advertised
          that were not even close. Not just wishbones, even in swingarms.
          Got close to one but the belly numbers were 57. My biggest worry
          is getting it transfered to California title.

Comment

Ok, two subjects here. Yes, on a Four the motor numbers are on the left side sitting on the bike on the portion of the case that houses the flywheels. The VIN numbers start out with the LETTERS DDO then whatever sequence of production it was. There are NO belly numbers on an Indian Four or otherwise. the frame numbers are not in the usual place on a 440. Normally they are on the lower shock mount that is part of the frame itself, however on the 40 four it is located on the part that the axle slides on. This part was prone to breakage if a sidecar was used. It is also on the left side of the bike.
            Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 11-04-2014, 06:10 PM.
            D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
            X