1948 Chief Auction in Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1948 Chief Auction in Missouri

I have no affiliation with this bike, just came across it online and thought I would throw it out there in case anyone was close and interested.

https://estateauctionpros.hibid.com/...48?ref=catalog

1.jpg

6.jpg

16.jpg

12.jpg

57.jpg
    Eric Olson
    Membership #18488

[QUOTE=EricOlson;n321287]I have no affiliation with this bike, just came across it online and thought I would throw it out there in case anyone was close and interested.

https://estateauctionpros.hibid.com/...48?ref=catalog

I am not an Indian guy but I could see this one. Jerry

Comment

There is always something unique about one ownership motorcycles. Pretty good little description about the gentleman that owned that '48.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Wow. That's one like my dad was buying for $100 in the mid-1960's. My how times have changed. Never forget in 1968, Dad bought a late-model 1936 4, a '48 Chief, a '36 Chief with a '48 engine in it and a '37 Jr, all for $750 and except for the Jr, all ran good. in fact the 4 had a new babbitt job done by the old Indian dealer in Council Bluffs.
        Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
        https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

Howdy chaps,

it wasn’t until I actually started attending swap meets and road runs, rather than just reading about antiques in our mag, in 1990, that I came across the most appealing category of machines. Dusty, very original road worthy riders, often with storied histories. The province of the club cognoscenti, these were highly valued and well beyond my reach at the time. Well before the emergence of the shop worn term, patina, I commenced search for a solid machine quite a few notches down on the aesthetic scale that I could bring up to the appearance of these coveted machines. The pics below are the result of that search, historied, 15k mile example 346 purchased in 92. Did a mechanical all over, rattle can paint job, made all the leather from one hide purchased at Tandy and bob’s your uncle. I’ll likely be riding it again at Bike Week this year. Ever increasingly hard to find, this is the perfect platform for the same objective of a young less affluent enthusiast like I once was .

Last edited by PRG; 01-30-2024, 10:19 AM.
          Cheerio,
          Peter
          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Interesting that your 46 came to you with a chrome girder.My 47 was also a very original bike with the only extra chrome the girder.I think it was a dealer option,but not sure.
            Tom

Comment

Not being an Indian guy, what do you guys in the know think this bike is worth, as is? How about after a mechanical restoration?
              Just curious about the reality of what it could become after getting it road worthy. I did look on Hagerty valuation tool for rough #'s

What does it cost to rebuild the engine/tranny? I know its a guess.........

Comment

Originally posted by eddiepanhead View Post
                Not being an Indian guy, what do you guys in the know think this bike is worth, as is? How about after a mechanical restoration?
                Just curious about the reality of what it could become after getting it road worthy. I did look on Hagerty valuation tool for rough #'s

If you got this for 15K.you could easily spend 10k to to restore if you do most of the work yourself except for machine work,chrome paint,and after maybe a year of labor bring it up to the 20-25k range.
                If you wanted to just do the engine ,trans,brakes, tires battery etc you could spend 5k pretty quick,(thats just parts and machine work), and maybe be in the 18k range.
                Just guessing but I think Im in the ballpark.
                Nice bike for someone
                Tom

Comment

Just for Kicks, i'd say the final bid on the '48 Chief will be...$18,500. *(Not counting additional fees).

*M.A.D.*

Wow, hit it right on the button.

*M.A.D.*

Last edited by JoJo357; 02-05-2024, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eddiepanhead View Post

Eddie, here are results from the recent 'BiG DaDDy' Vegas Mecum auction. Although not entirely accurate on prices, it will give you some idea of the Indian motorcycle market. Some of the restored late 1940's Chiefs went for very decent prices. Mecum takes 10% on a reserve & 6% no reserve. That doesn't even include their travel expenses. So, some of those Chiefs went for peanuts.

*M.A.D.*
                    Last edited by JoJo357; 01-30-2024, 03:19 PM.

Comment

JoJo357, I can’t find what the bikes sold for in your link. Can you give me any direction on finding that information? Thanks

Comment

Barry, you have to sign in first to get prices. It's easy, in the upper right corner, it will say 'Sign in//Log in', just hit 'sign/log in'. Usually all Mecum wants is a standard email address. Or, some kind of account like a Google or Facebook log in.
                        Sounds like you're not a Mecum Member, so hit the sign in / log in first, then the picture below comes up. At the bottom it will say, 'Not a member yet'--hit--'create a profile'. Good Luck.

Image 2-1-24 at 7.52 AM.jpg

*M.A.D.*
                        Last edited by JoJo357; 02-01-2024, 06:56 AM.

Comment

About 3 days left and the bike hasn't budged from $12,500. I'm guessing most of the bid up will occur in the final sprint to the finish line. I agree with you JoJo, something about the one-owner story makes me want it all the more. If time and finances permitted I'd be keen to throw my hat in on this bike. Hopefully someone here gets it and will document getting it back on the road. I'd love to see it's story live on a little longer.
                          Eric Olson
                          Membership #18488

Comment

Ya' Eric, that 'Chief' has low babied miles also, and its original stock. It wouldn't take much $$ to get her going! Maybe we'll get lucky and someone in the AMCA will score it and keep us informed on its current fate. A shame those saddlebags didn't make it?

They have a nice little 2-dr. post '56 Bel~Air up for grabs too.

*M.A.D.*
                            Last edited by JoJo357; 02-01-2024, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post

If you got this for 15K.you could easily spend 10k to to restore if you do most of the work yourself except for machine work,chrome paint,and after maybe a year of labor bring it up to the 20-25k range.
                              If you wanted to just do the engine ,trans,brakes, tires battery etc you could spend 5k pretty quick,(thats just parts and machine work), and maybe be in the 18k range.
                              Just guessing but I think Im in the ballpark.
                              Nice bike for someone
                              Tom
                              I cannot even imagine wanting to restore this thing - get it running and ride it. Restorations destroy history. Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X