Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Sale: 48 Chief Project

SOLD! Thank you.
    The time has come to sell my ’48 Indian project. I started off 15 years ago with a frame, matching engine, and many parts. I enjoyed going to swap meets meeting people and searching for the remaining items. Other callings got in the way and now it’s time to let her go.

What I have: ’48 Chief frame, engine, front end, fenders, and numerous boxes of parts. The frame and front end are straight as an arrow having been checked by John Bivens/Indian Engineering as well as added gusseting underneath the kick start post. The frame is in very good shape. It had some rust on the left side, but it’s original and not hacked up. It’s an early ’48 frame as you will note by the tubular fender brace, the hole in the gas tank support rail for the speedo, and the low serial number of the engine. The front end has been rebuilt, is complete, painted and ready to be installed. The engine, trans, and carb need to be rebuilt. It will need an oil pump, pistons, bearings, gaskets, wiring harness, and exhaust system. The rear shocks have been rebuilt and are ready for install. I believe the rear fender is from a ’47 as it has a hole for the speedo cable. I have seven boxes of misc. parts, tires, tubes, new handlebars, new front fender, foot boards, and much more.

Clean Virginia title! - $13,500.
    I live in southern Delaware and prefer not to ship.

John
    jhswolf@aol.com
    571-217-9886 (call, text, or send email)
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.
    Last edited by swolf; 03-13-2024, 08:37 PM.

Where were you 2 years ago when I got into my money pit '41 Sport Scout, John ? I think you have a great project for someone, and it's priced right. The 1947 Chief is a beautiful motorcycle which exemplifies the final years of Indian. It's tough to let them go, but I'll bet it goes quickly, and finds a good home.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I have to agree with Eric . . I am down a 741 parts-pile/rabbit hole or I would jump. Nice project and you've done a great job bringing things together.

Comment

Great Indian project John~1964 Corvette Rag Top?

*M.A.D.*

Comment

I have a similar 47 chief project that I am considering selling.
          My problem is the price of parts has made finishing the project not really practical considering the prices of very nice restored examples.
          500 for a rim,250 for spokes,250 for a primary chain,650 for an exhaust system,speedometers for 1500-2K.It adds up quick and even with my free labor it seems the cost is not worth it with prices for restored skirted chiefs in my opinion undervalued.

Good luck with the sale
          Tom

Comment

I agree with you, Tom and also think Chiefs are greatly undervalued; which should be a wake-up call for all those young members who complain about the high cost of antique motorcycles. I think the Chief is one of the best values for an old motorcycle because they are reliable, easy to work on, well documented, simple in design, and knock people out when they see them parked in public. I've never had a motorcycle that got more attention than an Indian Chief (both good, and weird). However, I also agree with you about the high cost of parts, but then go to the grocery store if you want a real shock ! I've lost money on every old motorcycle I've owned, but making money on my hobby was never a goal, or an expectation. Old bikes are a passion, and love affair. You feed them when you can afford it and enjoy the long term process.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

" ! I've lost money on every old motorcycle I've owned, but making money on my hobby was never a goal, or an expectation. Old bikes are a passion, and love affair. You feed them when you can afford it and enjoy the long term process." MY BROTHER FROM A DIFFERENT MOTHER!!!! I thought it was just Me!

Comment

It has been my hard won experience that it is cheaper in the long run to buy a complete bike and bring it up to snuff than to build one from parts. It is/was fun. I do think John's asking price is very fair. If I didn't just build a shop, and do a frame off on my '63 Chevy Pickup, I would be all over it. Someone is going to get a great deal Good luck fellas.
                Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                1947 Indian Chief

Comment

I agree that building a bike from parts is more expensive than a complete running bike, but the Johnny Cash approach has been the only way I could do more unusual bikes. I know I made a monetary mistake on the '41 Sport Scout that I am currently doing, but in the long term I know I will be glad I saved an abandoned motorcycle from the scrap pile. The bike was rotting away and in a state of inertia and it's inevitable fate was in the hands of my friend's nephews who could care less about any kind of motorcycle. As a side note; I have to get 2 tooth implants this week which will take months to complete, and cost thousands of $'s. I would rather buy a '60s vintage Triumph Bonneville for that doe-re-me, but time will tell if I am making the right decision . . . Sort of the same thing in an abstract way
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

I hope my comment wasn't taken as disrespectful as that was not my intention. I have cobbled together many in my younger years as many times as that was the only transportation I had! And I agree that rescuing one is a noble task indeed. I was simply stating that I have discovered it was cheaper in the long run to buy one running. If I had the cash I would most likely seriously consider purchasing wolf's basket, perhaps the other gentleman's as well! I also think it's cheaper not to get divorced than build a bike from scratch! After the project's recently completed in my previous post my (comptroller) wife has told me to slow down. Oh yeah, I have had a few of the implants done as well. I about emptied out my HSA account, but to be honest it was a very good investment as I am very pleased with the outcome.
                    Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                    1947 Indian Chief

Comment

To all the folks that replied: Thank you! All the insights are greatly appreciated. It's hard enough to make the decision to sell, but then figure out the pricing and get the pictures, write the ads, is a bit of work.
                      I made some minor corrections in the ad. The bike is all '48 with the exception of the rear fender. I think it's a '47 because of the rear speedo hole in the fender. I started to fiberglass over the hole, but wanted to make sure I did full disclosure.
                      I couldn't agree with the comments about putting money into it versus buying a completed one. I've gone both ways on various projects. Sure you do get to immediately drive a completed bike, but that's not the primary reason for a lot of us to have a bike. It's always been the joy of bringing something back to life or building a bike the way you want it. Cheaper to buy a completed one? Probably, but it all depends what you start with and what your passion is.
                      Regarding the "64 Corvette Ragtop" comment, you are very close. It's a '65. Hard to tell given the limited field of view. Kudos to a keen eye.
                      Keep the comments coming and please spread the word. Selling a bike or a car is a pain. There's a lot of venues, FB, Craigslist, BAT, Ebay, etc, but none of them are pleasant and there's plenty of scammers.
                      Many thanks!!
                      John.

Comment

Originally posted by micmac View Post
                        Oh yeah, I have had a few of the implants done as well. I about emptied out my HSA account, but to be honest it was a very good investment as I am very pleased with the outcome.
                        Thanks for that comment, micmac. Needless to say I'm a bit anxious about the time, and money involved, but it would be nice to crack walnuts with my back teeth again
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

swolf,
                          That's probably the best deal I have seen on a 46-48 basket. If I was looking for a project, this would be it. So often I see baskets that are deplorable condition and more money. Nice factory stamped numbers on this bike! For someone who can do a lot of work their selves, it sure would be attractive and probably wouldn't end up too upside down.

Eric,
                          You always speak such great wisdom. And get those choppers fixed up. I just got my first implant recently.
                          Jason Zerbini
                          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Jason,
                            l appreciate the feedback. Yes, it's a pretty clean project.
                            I'm thinking I should raise the price $10k and maybe I'll get more offers. Lol.

Sorry, I can't contribute to the implants discussion. But if you ever want to talk about crowns.....

Thanks,
                            John

Comment

Originally posted by swolf View Post
                              I'm thinking I should raise the price $10k and maybe I'll get more offers. Lol.
                              That worked for me once. Had an RD400 cafe racer for sale one year for $2500, nobody bit. A year later I offered it for $3500 and sold it quickly.
                              AMCA #41287
                              1971 Sprint SS350 project
                              1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                              1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                              1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                              96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                              2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                              plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Working...
                              X