Sam Pierce built 1940 Sport Scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Pierce built 1940 Sport Scout

Sam Pierce built 1940 Sport Scout. Runs good. $12000 or best offer. Located in North Central Illinois. Email is rbrand39@hotmail.com
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Rodger Welcome;
    Nice bike and a Sam Pierce!!!!
    Can you tell us a bit of its history?
    Thanks

Comment

I see 'AIMCO' stamped into the motor case. I got a lot of parts for my first Indian from AIMCO back in the mid '70s. I thought AIMCO was the inventory that Sam Pierce sold. I would get personalized receipts for my purchases, and replies to my part inquiries but I don't recall Sam Pierce's name on anything. I thought AIMCO was a husband, wife business. Was Jacob Junker involved with AIMCO?
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

AIMCO was the American Indian Motorcycle Company started by Sam Pierce to keep the brand alive in the late 1960s. He had thousands of new old stock parts and would build bikes to suit the owner’s taste (or his own) usually with more modern hydraulic front ends. This bike was bought by a guy who was in the service at that time and he rode it from California to Illinois when he got out. He got killed on a bike in 1979 and this bike sat in a shed in the family’s back yard since then. I did the normal things to it: cleaned the gas and oil tanks, new fluids, battery, spark plugs, etc. After 2 prime kicks it started on the first kick after sitting for all that time!

Comment

As I recall, Charlie Mathre in Mokelumne Hill, CA had parts that came from Sam Pierce. The '48 Chief project I started with had parts receipts from there. He once told me about the annual Calaveras County Frog Jump contest that was in that area.I think Charlie's wife may have been related to Sam. I have a San Gabriel Pierce - Indian license plate frame on my Chief. Years ago my friend and mentor Ken Edmiston told me he was one of the few that Charlie would allow to go look through what he had and pick what he wanted to get..

Comment

Thanks for the great background story, and clarification about AIMCO, Rodger. I hope you do well with the sale of a good looking, historical Indian SS.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by jcrawford View Post
              As I recall, Charlie Mathre in Mokelumne Hill, CA had parts that came from Sam Pierce. The '48 Chief project I started with had parts receipts from there. He once told me about the annual Calaveras County Frog Jump contest that was in that area.I think Charlie's wife may have been related to Sam. I have a San Gabriel Pierce - Indian license plate frame on my Chief. Years ago my friend and mentor Ken Edmiston told me he was one of the few that Charlie would allow to go look through what he had and pick what he wanted to get..
              Thanks for the additional information on AIMCO. The name, Charlie Mathre sounds very familiar. I wish I had saved all the correspondence I had from parts hunting for that Indian, and other bikes (pre internet days of letter correspondence). I gave all that to the friend I sold the bike to but like me, he's a pack rat so I'll bet he still has it. This kind of historical reference is what makes the AMCA so great.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

The Scout is sold

Comment

I tried to buy this bike a few years back but someone told the owners it was gold so it never happened. It was built by the old Indian dealer in my area.. scout 4.JPGscout 1.JPG
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                  X