For Sale: 1947 Chief 74 c.i. complete motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Sale: 1947 Chief 74 c.i. complete motor

For Sale: 1947 Chief 74 c.i. complete motor, partly disassembled for inspection. SOLD 6/1/21

This motor was running well when pulled from my bike for top end inspection about 10 years ago. I got distracted by work and it sat on my bench since then.

The good: Two nice cylinders, within spec at std. and +010 bore, without liners or broken fins. Clean heads with no broken fins. Also included - two sets of cams and lifters, both std and Bonneville. The rods are good, clean bushings and tight big-end bearings. Two sets of new pistons (a pair for each cylinder) with rings and pins are included. Iron oil pump with minimal wear on the spiral shaft and pin and clean gear cavity for the return side. The carb is a 1.5 inch L&L (bronze) with custom-made matching manifold. The distributor is intact and working with cap and rotor, though the bushing is a bit loose.

The bad: the timing side main bearing is loose, about .020 side play. The drive side seems OK. The oil baffle plates below the rear cylinder are partly missing and were already gone when I acquired this motor in 1970. It still ran good but probably burned a bit more oil than desired, one reason why I pulled the top end for inspection.

Also included a complete set of gaskets and many spare parts, old cylinders, pistons, etc. This is a good deal for a complete, easily re-buildable Chief motor.
    Last edited by nortonclub; 06-12-2021, 05:04 PM.

For Sale: 1947 Chief 74 c.i. complete motor - SOLD 6/1/21

After cleanup with a ball hone, the cylinder bores look good, measured at std 3.250" (front) and +10 3.261" (rear). New pistons and rings are included, and a spare set as well. The valves have only 500 miles since new and should be fine. Many more spare parts are also included - cylinders, rods, valves and gaskets.

Top End 2.jpgTiming Side.jpg cams.jpgCarb Intake.jpg
    spares.jpg(Extra cylinders are +.060 and scored, probably not useful)

Last edited by nortonclub; 06-12-2021, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X