Sportster For Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster For Sale

I really don't want to do this. After nearly 4 years of restoring this machine and never even having had the chance to ride her! I'm nearing completion of a 1957 Sportster Restoration. Its not finished just yet, it needs further assembly. I'm just putting it out there to see if there would be anyone interested. Again I really don't want to sell it, I have worked very hard on it. The fact is I'm getting married, she wants a house, and the money would help a lot going for a down payment. I am very reluctant, and not happy. Maybe I'll hit the lottery. At least I am talking to a group of people who appreciate antiques, that makes me feel much better.

-Paul

SportsterEngr@gmail.com
    New York City
    1957 Sportster
    AMCA Member# 9766

Selling your project bike for that reason will be something you will never get over. It will fester inside of you causing bitter feelings. Find another way to get your down payment or wait till you have saved the noney. I speak from experience.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Even selling for a good reason, like to finance your next project bike, you'll still wish you would have found another way! Also speaking from experience...Mike

Comment

antiques are hard to find

but there are plenty of wife's out there

I should have is a phrase to remember
        Moose
        aka Glenn

Comment

I had my old panhead for twenty-five years. I don't think that more than a week has gone by in the last ten years that I didn't think about that bike and wish I hadn't let her go. It seemed necessary at the time, but oddly enough I can't remember exactly why the situation seemed so urgent.

Chris is right--find another way. Making a sacrifice of that kind will be bad ju-ju on the union.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
            antiques are hard to find

but there are plenty of wife's out there

I'm telling your wife, Glenn!

Comment

Your wife will want alot of things for the house after you buy it, which means the bike will never return. Find another way if your not happy to sell it. Also from experiance.
              1959 XLCH

Comment

My wife and sister-in-law sell real estate so we truly understand the difficulty in getting financing on a house. However, do try to find a way to keep the '57 even if you can no longer to put any money into it. A good friend of mine, who I buddied around with for many years with early 'Vettes came to me in a bit of a bind several years ago wanting to sell me his loaded '64 Coupe. I talked him out of it and he found another way to get out of his financial pickle. We often talk about it and he thanks me for my advise. And he still has the Coupe.

What it boils down to is that when you sell it, it is gone and the money will soon be gone. You will always have that "Woulda, coulda, shoulda" thought.
                Lonnie Campbell #9908
                South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Ya know, it's worth a lot more put together. 57 is a good year, and I'm sure you can get some good money for the project, but it's really hard to get back out of something even money if it's not running/assembled. If it's mostly together as you say, finish it, fire it up, and get decent money for it.
                  Or sell it to me cheap...I'll trade ya two Sportster project bikes?

Comment

Last thing i need is more projects. I'm going to take the advice and keep it. We're actually going to go to contract on a house today, didn't need to sell it after all. I've been building this thing with my father, don't think I will ever sell it. Thanks guys.
                    New York City
                    1957 Sportster
                    AMCA Member# 9766

Comment

You won't regret keeping it. More often than not when someone sells something because they think they need to it works out that they did not really need to but the item is gone forever! I have sold things I regretted even though I felt I needed to at the time.
                      Good for you!
                      Robbie
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I agree keep it if you can.

My dad bought a 63 BMW R60 back in 1970 for $125 bucks, from a guy that needed the money to get married! Now he doesn't have the bike or the wife....

My dad and I just recently got it up and running again, after 30+ years of storage.

Even if you can't work on it for awhile, it will be there when the time is right.
                        AMCA #10930

Comment

Working...
                        X