1929 JD Project With Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1929 JD Project With Title

I'm offering for sale my 1929 JD project bike. My father owned a JD back in the 1930s and I was hoping to experience what he experienced as a young man. He told me several stories of adventures he had on the bike. I've been collecting parts for several years and had some engine work done by Eric Horbol in Cleveland. The early set of cylinders have been bored .060 over and some of the broken fin areas have been coated with braze to start fin repair. I have a new set of Eastern .060 pistons to fit the cylinders when they're honed. The connecting rods have been shot peened, magnafluxed and checked for straightness. He also installed new wrist pin bushings and sized them to new wrist pins. I also have 2 steel pistons and another set of late '29 cylinders that are rough but restorable, The engine is a later production version with a 5 digit engine number and matching belly numbers. The fenders, jiffy stand and center stand are OEM, the tanks, tool box and battery box are from Replicant Metals as well as the steel oil / gas lines and seat t bar. I also purchased a reproduction ignition coil and brown leather Messinger seat from them. The frame is correct for a '29 with double gussets. The generator is correct for the year. The springer and front brake assembly is complete. The transmission has the correct year part number. I have a reproduction Model 3 taillight assembly and dual headlights. I have Kelsey Hayes 19" safety rims with new stainless steel Buchanan spokes. The footboards, rocker clutch and rear brake assemblies are complete. I have new canvas backed rubber footboard pads. A complete Schebler DLX 58 carburetor is included with a reproduction air laundry assembly. New reproduction nickel plated fuel valves and chrome gas and oil caps are also included. I have an original dash that is very rusted and a reproduction dash with a reproduction wiring harness and a Weston 354 ammeter. The bike still needs an exhaust system, tires, tubes, control cables and a front brake lever assembly. I have over $16,000 in the project and would like to recover what I've invested. Call or text me at 330-361-1719 if you're interested.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JC Hixon; 11-13-2022, 05:56 PM.

I had a '28JD, and I've always loved those last JDs before the V series. They looked longer, and leaner than Vs and had the exposed push-rods that screamed 'antique'. That sounds like a great project JC and sorry that you have to let it go. From everything you have described, it sounds like a good deal for someone that wants a true vintage Harley-Davidson. I am currently doing a 1941 Indian and even though I got into it for a good price, I have spent a lot of time and money getting it to where your bike is. The real pleasure of this hobby is in the building, collecting, and learning so you are offering something that gives someone a good jump on a fun, and do-able project. Again, sorry you have to move it on but hope you find a good home for it.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Eric, I hope you're successful getting your Indian completed in the near future. Is it a Chief or a Scout?

Comment

I'm slaving away on an 1941 Indian Sport Scout, JC. . . Well, that's not true; I'm lollygagging away on a Scout but I am having fun.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Do you mean the carb you have is a DLX 25 stamped into the top of the body?

Comment

Originally posted by 26harleyj View Post
            Do you mean the carb you have is a DLX 25 stamped into the top of the body?
            Thank you for pointing out my mistake, DLX 58 is stamped into the carb body. I'm attaching more photos of parts since I reached the maximum number of attachments in my original listing.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by JC Hixon; 07-21-2022, 04:32 PM. Reason: Oops!

Comment

I'll be posting more photos soon.

Comment

The JD is SOLD

Comment

Working...
                X