Harley Davidson 45 Springer Front End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley Davidson 45 Springer Front End

This is a 45 springer front end in really good condition. Straight and mostly rust free. It's missing the rockers and top clamp. I believe it is early 40's. I tried to take a picture of the casting numbers, but it didn't come out. I'll try again if anyone is interested.

I'm located in Concord, NC. Asking $1,000

IMG_0698.JPGIMG_0700.JPG

[QUOTE=willphelps52;n292092]This is a 45 springer front end in really good condition. Straight and mostly rust free. It's missing the rockers and top clamp. I believe it is early 40's. I tried to take a picture of the casting numbers, but it didn't come out. I'll try again if anyone is interested.

I'm located in Concord, NC. Asking $1,000

That front end was made sometime between the start of them in 1940 to 1943ish. Did someone mess up the threads on the stem? Reasonable price.

Jerry

Comment

The post has some surface rust on them, but the threads look okay. I took a brass wire brush to them just now and took a close up picture.

Threads.png
      Attached Files

Comment

As I asked elsewhere, are the rocker holes 7/16" or 1/2"?
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I just can't seem to get a large size image to load on this thing. I must be doing something wrong. Anyway, the threads look fine once the surface rust is brushed away.

I bought this thing thinking it was for a big twin, to use on my panhead project, only to find out it was for a 45. Rather than butcher it up, I'd rather sell it to someone with a 45.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
            As I asked elsewhere, are the rocker holes 7/16" or 1/2"?
            The holes are just under 1/2". Like .444 or something like that. I can check tomorrow.

Comment

Sounds like the holes are just over 7/16” (0.4375) as opposed to just under 1/2”.
              Mark
              Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

I'll take it for $1,000 shipped to 97424

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
                  Is your name Richard??
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead 61 View Post

Oregon, huh? I'll weigh it and get a quote for shipping. Do you want the pictures of the casting? I was going to do that tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by willphelps52 View Post

Oregon, huh? I'll weigh it and get a quote for shipping. Do you want the pictures of the casting? I was going to do that tonight.
                      yes please. thanks

Comment

When I was looking at the numbers through a magnifying glass, I thought the last number looked like a "nine". But zooming in on the picture, it looks like it could be an "eight".

On page 103 of the new third edition of "How to Restore Your Harley Davidson", it looks like this springer is the same as photo "A", a "non-notched die 5 found on 1940 and some 1941 models.". I'm not sure.

But here's the close up of the forging numbers.

Springer_Forging_Numbers.jpg

Comment

[QUOTE=willphelps52;n292397]When I was looking at the numbers through a magnifying glass, I thought the last number looked like a "nine". But zooming in on the picture, it looks like it could be an "eight".

On page 103 of the new third edition of "How to Restore Your Harley Davidson", it looks like this springer is the same as photo "A", a "non-notched die 5 found on 1940 and some 1941 models.". I'm not sure.

But here's the close up of the forging numbers.

Looks like an '8' to me. At least some 1940 WL's had a 'swept' front like 1936 to 1940 Big twin. Jerry

Comment

The springer has been sold.

Comment

Working...
                            X