Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1930 vl

Good morning all,

I am seriously considering selling my 1930 VL. Its not a perfect AMCA restoration, but its a beautiful bike, and I will be sad to see it go. I am still hunting down a few parts to replace the ones that are "wrong" but only the ones that bother me

The serial number is in the 5000's - low for what survived,
    What isn't correct ?
    - at one point in it's life, the front fork leg was modified to a 1" solid shaft rather than the hollow one, so I left that, although I have the proper cups for the hollow shaft
    - the Corbin speedo works fine, but I left the face unrestored - I always leave something untouched on my car restorations too
    - it has a hub mounted speedo drive rather than the fibre gear drive on the rear wheel - but it is the patent pending one, so earlier than 32
    - carb is a rebuilt M31
    - transmission is correct [ I believe ] and has the 6 tooth kicker gear [ not saying that was a great idea when it was new ]
    - the rims are powder coated and I see that one spoke was broken in the rear
    - the later screw top gear shift is on it, but I have the original
    - Headlights are reproduction Solar Cycle so the lens are logo, but the sheet metal is not
    - a few nut and bolts are not correct, addressing those as I go
    - the paint job is beautiful, but what I liked vs. what it should have been

I'm sure that the purists will find other things , and that is fine

My intent was to ride it, more than look at it, so there is a "fake" battery case with a Shorai Lithium ion 6 volt in it

I am not sure what it is worth, I've watched the sales come and go so if someone has interest, please let me know

I have a little over 1000 pictures over the time it was being done, so can supply that if anyone wants

Regards

Keith

So how much you want for this here cupcake?
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Good morning,

Honestly I don't have a clue what a realistic number is, hoping someone will make a reasonable offer to get this rolling.

I had an appraisal done, and as much as I liked the number, I don't hold a lot of stock in those, so all I have to go on is what I see up for sale. IF this was one of the cars I have done, or a newer bike, I am more familiar with actual resale. With this project, I had things like the engine rebuild done by someone who knows what they are doing, something I wouldn't have farmed out with a newer bike or a vintage car. I appreciate that those external services are sunk costs that I wont recover in the sale.

Regards

Keith

Comment

You may want to attach photos (I'd love to see it as I also have a '30 VL), also where you are located (state) and maybe a contact number. Good Luck!!
        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Good morning,
          Thank you for the note Jim, I tried to upload a picture or two yesterday, without success, The insert image icon, let me grab a picture from my files, but didn't seem to make it to the post - will try again
          I am in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada and I can be reached on my cell at 306-717-3292
          Regards
          Keith
          Feb 7, 2015 - finished 1.jpg

Comment

Beautiful!
            Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

That is really NICE looking!! Thanks for adding the picture!
              Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Keith, I don't know if you know Bernie McAvoy from Bernies Machine in Saaskatoon but he may be able to help you, thanks, Larry

Comment

Dear Keith, I can put your '30 on the 'bikes for sale' section of the VL Heaven website at no charge for a month, if you want to test the water.

Comment

Hi Jim,
                    I also own a 1930V with sidecar but still in pieces. Got itvery complete overthe years.
                    Have a 1931 sidecar with it. Struglling a little bit with brake cross over tube and levers/
                    Is there a diffrence between a 1930 and 1931sidecar frame, because cross over tube I found is correct size with slids for keys at both side but is an inch too short.?
                    Any advise wouldbe helpfull

Comment

I wish I could help... but I don't know enough about sidecars to say. Although, I am pretty sure that the sidecar frame was the same for all the 1930-1936 VL years.

Originally posted by sidecarleo View Post
                      Hi Jim,
                      I also own a 1930V with sidecar but still in pieces. Got itvery complete overthe years.
                      Have a 1931 sidecar with it. Struglling a little bit with brake cross over tube and levers/
                      Is there a diffrence between a 1930 and 1931sidecar frame, because cross over tube I found is correct size with slids for keys at both side but is an inch too short.?
                      Any advise wouldbe helpfull
                      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

I agree that it should be the same for at least 1930-35 but I'll check some reference material tonight and verify... BTW, how wide are the chassis' from outside edge of outer frame bar to outside edge of inner frame bar?

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                        I wish I could help... but I don't know enough about sidecars to say. Although, I am pretty sure that the sidecar frame was the same for all the 1930-1936 VL years.
                        Last edited by Ric Bolduc; 02-16-2016, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Good morning all, I apologize for my lack of a timely response have been travelling for work

Thank you for your suggestions, I am still waffling on selling it, as that was never the intent when I started the restoration - but stuff happens - so will see

Larry - Thank you for suggesting Bernie, I have had him do a couple things for me over the years, but hadn't thought of him for the VL, as he is the local guru of all things Knucklehead. And he is a master at machining - wow

Steve, Thank you also, appreciate that very much, I have a couple more weeks of travelling and then should be done for a bit, so will put an ad on your site at that point, if I haven't talked myself out of evern considering selling it

Regards

Keith

Comment

Working...
                          X