Early 36 Knucklehead Fuel Tanks "Prototype"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 36 Knucklehead Fuel Tanks "Prototype"

These are the early production tanks without the indent along the back frame railA New Phone Pics 031.jpgA New Phone Pics 035.jpg. Used only on the first 36 Knucks. I've only ever seen 1 other set. Solid tanks. Shifter bracket needs replaced. If you have a true early 36, you must have these! $5000.00A New Phone Pics 032.jpgA New Phone Pics 034.jpgA New Phone Pics 029.jpg
    Last edited by hd_doctor; 06-18-2013, 05:37 AM. Reason: clarification

Those are not "Prototype" tanks. They are simply the first design tanks that got changed during production along with a dozen or so other parts. I certinally wouldn't pay 5 grand for a set of tanks. Maybe someone who is out of their mind and has too much money would.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

The "difference" they have is invisible on an assembled bike. And some ape with a hacksaw cut off the shifter pivot. Plus on (+1) to Chris's comments ^^^.
      Gerry Lyons #607
      http://www.37ul.com/
      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

I have heard them called "prototype" because of there very limited production. Well worth the money if you're a purist. Go try to find a set and get back to me.
        Last edited by hd_doctor; 06-18-2013, 05:40 AM.

Comment

If you don't mind not having the real thing go to Tedd Cycle and get a set. Maybe no one will know........

Comment

36EL2025 still had the tanks without the reliefs. I do not think they are anywhere as rare as a few other 36 parts. Look like nice usable tanks however. Price I do not know about and I am happy both my 36's have them already.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
              Those are not "Prototype" tanks. They are simply the first design tanks that got changed during production along with a dozen or so other parts. I certinally wouldn't pay 5 grand for a set of tanks. Maybe someone who is out of their mind and has too much money would.
              Any Member of the AMCA has the right to advertise whatever part he or she wants to advertise for whatever price they want. Helping him with a description is one thing but AGAIN, there is NOBODY in this Club who should take it upon themselves to make comments or bash someones advertisement or appoint themselves The Antique Motorcycle Culb Of Americas official Monitor and or Appraiser or anything listed for sale on this clubs website. Helping people out is one thing but slanderous comments like "people who are out of their minds and have to much money" do noting more than degrade the seller and what he is selling. Do I AGAIN have to ask for a MODERATOR to step in here and censor certain people who never learn their lesson no matter how many times they stick their foot in their mouth? If that is what you want to do MR HAYNES go do it over on YOUR website please. The last time I wrote a check for my membership dues I believe the check DID NOT say PAYABLE TO; CHRIS HAYNES ANTIQUE MOTORCYCLE CLUB OF AMERICA????? I have personally seen more than one 1937 to 1939 set of gas tanks sell for over $3000. Who know what a set of 36 only tanks are worth. This seller himself needs to file a formal complaint about MR Haynes comment. 46EL
              Last edited by 46EL; 06-20-2013, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Chris Haynes is the one, with a little help from a couple of other people, who are personally responsible for owners of '36ELs watching the monetary value of their machines skyrocket from that of a casual curiosity to the Holy Grail of Harley-Davidons, if not all of Motorcycledom, in the 1990s. For decades previous to that, he tracked down and documented what was special about the almost-all-prototypes/constantly improved right-on-the-production-line bikes during the Summer of 1936 OHVs, when few others gave a rodent's posterior.

When the true rarity and curious configuration of original ELs came to light, mostly as a result of Mr. Haynes' years of research in to the subject, every Tom, Dick and Harry who ran across or discovered they might have a two-hole clutch pedal mount, or tapered, round shift rod or skull dash without a hole for the speedometer light suddenly thought his p.o.s. was made of SOLID GOLD, and prices were jacked immediately into the stratosphere. About two thousand 36ELs were built. A couple of hundred are known to have survived, from originals to restorations to choppers to power plants for quarter midget racing cars. All consecutively numbered.

So, anyone who owns, or has ever sold an obscure '36-only Knuckle part in the last ten years for about 700-times what they acquired it for owe Mr. Haynes for their "good fortune." It was Chris who showcased the 36 EL in the first place and brought it to the attention of Harley riders worldwide. Maybe those who've benefitted from his selfless quest for knowledge of '36s should write him a check and send it to him, just out of gratitude, every time they sell a part or a whole '36 for thou$ands more than any other Knuckle is worth.

Chris is just being Chris, and like the rest of us, bemoaning the Johnny-Come-Latelys making beaucoup bux following a trail he personally blazed. Don't be so hard on him.
                Last edited by Sargehere; 06-20-2013, 11:32 PM.
                Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

Originally posted by 46EL View Post
                  Any Member of the AMCA has the right to advertise whatever part he or she wants to advertise for whatever price they want. Helping him with a description is one thing but AGAIN, there is NOBODY in this Club who should take it upon themselves to make comments or bash someones advertisement or appoint themselves The Antique Motorcycle Culb Of Americas official Monitor and or Appraiser or anything listed for sale on this clubs website. Helping people out is one thing but slanderous comments like "people who are out of their minds and have to much money" do noting more than degrade the seller and what he is selling. Do I AGAIN have to ask for a MODERATOR to step in here and censor certain people who never learn their lesson no matter how many times they stick their foot in their mouth? If that is what you want to do MR HAYNES go do it over on YOUR website please. The last time I wrote a check for my membership dues I believe the check DID NOT say PAYABLE TO; CHRIS HAYNES ANTIQUE MOTORCYCLE CLUB OF AMERICA????? I have personally seen more than one 1937 to 1939 set of gas tanks sell for over $3000. Who know what a set of 36 only tanks are worth. This seller himself needs to file a formal complaint about MR Haynes comment. 46EL
                  You are entitled to voice your opinion here, as am I.
                  Be sure to visit;

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
                    Chris Haynes is the one, with a little help from a couple of other people, who are personally responsible for owners of '36ELs watching the monetary value of their machines skyrocket from that of a casual curiosity to the Holy Grail of Harley-Davidons, if not all of Motorcycledom, in the 1990s. For decades previous to that, he tracked down and documented what was special about the almost-all-prototypes/constantly improved right-on-the-production-line bikes during the Summer of 1936 OHVs, when few others gave a rodent's posterior.

When the true rarity and curious configuration of original ELs came to light, mostly as a result of Mr. Haynes' years of research in to the subject, every Tom, Dick and Harry who ran across or discovered they might have a two-hole clutch pedal mount, or tapered, round shift rod or skull dash without a hole for the speedometer light suddenly thought his p.o.s. was made of SOLID GOLD, and prices were jacked immediately into the stratosphere. About two thousand 36ELs were built. A couple of hundred are known to have survived, from originals to restorations to choppers to power plants for quarter midget racing cars. All consecutively numbered.

So, anyone who owns, or has ever sold an obscure '36-only Knuckle part in the last ten years for about 700-times what they acquired it for owe Mr. Haynes for their "good fortune." It was Chris who showcased the 36 EL in the first place and brought it to the attention of Harley riders worldwide. Maybe those who've benefitted from his selfless quest for knowledge of '36s should write him a check and send it to him, just out of gratitude, every time they sell a part or a whole '36 for thou$ands more than any other Knuckle is worth.

Chris is just being Chris, and like the rest of us, bemoaning the Johnny-Come-Latelys making beaucoup bux following a trail he personally blazed. Don't be so hard on him.
                    So I guess that this Classified Section should have some sort of disclaimer for all fellow Club Members to read? Maybe say something like "post any and all advertisements but please be aware that other self appointed Club Members have the right to bash and degrade your items and the price you list it for" How do other Club Members selling things feel about that??? Ever wonder why so few people list stuff here for sale? Lesson learned is instead of listing parts here for sale to give fellow club members first shot only to be bashed by someone who has no interest or intention in buying it just list it on ebay. Sell it overseas for all the money to buyers who are appreciative and don't give you any grief? Anyone here sick of watching parts on ebay go for all the money and you can't afford the prices? Thank Mr Haynes for that! When is someone on the Board of Directors going to implement some rules and regulations as far as negative comments go in the Classifieds sections on this website? And my apologies to the original poster for the highjack. 46EL.

Comment

If you can't afford the prices being asked for this useless emphemera, thank the profiteers. FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS being asked like that had any grounding in reality for a pair of hacked-up fuel tanks got the antennae up when it was posted.

So, yer tellin' me that the market standard is "about" five hundred bucks for any other tanks (and I remember the days when they went for $25 a pair) but if it's for a Thirty-six Eee-Yell, well, we'll just jack up the price ten times! No doubt, out of kind consideration to fellow clubmembers, eh?

You post insanity like that on a forum, it's fair game. Maybe that's how some of us TRY to inject a little sense back in what's gone completely out-of-control. Ain't NO murder-sickle wurf dat!
                      Last edited by Sargehere; 06-22-2013, 05:08 PM.
                      Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

Amen, Sarge, well said.
                        Rich
                        Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                          Let's go back to my original post. Read it carefully. Did I bash anybody? I simply pointed out that these tanks were not what they were advertised to be. I then stated that I wouldn't pay that price and only someone out of their mind would. I believe that to be a fair assessment. I at no time proclaimed myself to be a monitor or appraiser. I only stated my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions,
                          Be sure to visit;

Comment

If this guy is asking too much for these tanks, they will not sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Panuckle View Post
                              If this guy is asking too much for these tanks, they will not sell.
                              Sure, that's called a "free market," and prices find their own level. That's the American Way.
                              Along with Freedom of Speech, however, in a public forum, for tire-kickers to express their opinions. Otherwise, this might as well be a one-way Craig's List or your local classified ads.

Hopin' no one got offended. To thrive on the "boards" these days, one does have to develop a bit of a thick hide, and let things bounce off & keep goin', often a little wiser.
                              Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

Working...
                              X