New Henderson Long Tank Saddles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Henderson Long Tank Saddles

Almost seven years ago Steve Ciccalone asked me to produce a saddle for the early Long Tank Henderson Deluxe.
    Previously Steve sold me a very original long tank project, complete with a superb original saddle. He also provided the remains of another saddle that was the source of patterns for the hardware for the seat project.
    Before Steve's death in 2011, I constructed new seat pans and produced the 'hard parts' and hardware that would be needed to make 10 saddles. Steve and I were both pleased with the results.
    Steve sudden passing left me with little interest in the project and all things Henderson.

Early this year I looked at the boxes of parts and decided that it was time to complete the task that was begun so long ago.

The results have been quite spectacular. I went to Oley and showed off the first fo the finished saddles to a few Henderson owners.

Pictures attached can not illustrate the beauty of the finished saddled. The are are close to the original as can be done. From the unseen components to the beautiful stitching and embossed logos, these are beautiful seats.

If anyone has a need for a new saddle, please send PM and I will provide more photos.

At present, all saddles are black, per Steve Ciccalone's instructions. It may be possible to have one covered in brown leather, but you need to talk to me.

I have produced components for 10 saddles and do not plan on another run. Five have already been sold. I am finishing another batch that should be ready for delivery in a few weeks.

Jerry

Original seat.jpgHenderson.jpg20171122_130117 copy.jpgunderside of saddle.JPG

Beautiful work, Jerry. I made a limited number of Persons seat pans, and mounting hardware for pre-1920 Hendersons, so I know how much work is involved. I am very impressed with your formed plywood base, and the finished seat is absolutely stunning. Just for reference; is your seat structure the same as the Troxel Jumbo of that era? Again, first class work.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
      Beautiful work, Jerry. I made a limited number of Persons seat pans, and mounting hardware for pre-1920 Hendersons, so I know how much work is involved. I am very impressed with your formed plywood base, and the finished seat is absolutely stunning. Just for reference; is your seat structure the same as the Troxel Jumbo of that era? Again, first class work.
      Eric,

Thank you for the compliments on the seat. The effort required to get all the detail correct surprised me. But in the end, the saddles are really nice pieces.

Plywood base is 1/2" plywood made gluing 4 layers of 1/8" birch ply together on a form. Form, and new plywood, then placed in a vacuum bag for 12 hours. Worked great, but a slow process making 10 seat pans. I actually made a male and female form to do this. Gave me a much better bond.

I am almost positive that a Troxel Jumbo has a wireform frame. Much more complicated to reproduce.

My seat structure is a plywood base reinforced with a flat steel structure.

Jerry
      Attached Files

Comment

The black seats are Persons full pan seats commonly used on pre 1920 Hendersons. The new one is of course my reproduction, and the one in the background is an original. Jerry, some people might say you shouldn't give away your secrets of fixturing, and process; but we know the real secret is amount of work, and time it takes to make a finished product as perfect as your seats. There is a lot more work in the Troxel plywood base seats that you have made, than my Persons. Just as a reference, I posted pictures of the Troxel Jumbo as used on 1916, (and a few years later) Harley-Davidsons.

henseat2.jpghseat1.jpgtroxa.jpgtroxd.jpg
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

[QUOTE=exeric;171810]The black seats are Persons full pan seats commonly used on pre 1920 Hendersons. The new one is of course my reproduction, and the one in the background is an original. Jerry, some people might say you shouldn't give away your secrets of fixturing, and process; but we know the real secret is amount of work, and time it takes to make a finished product as perfect as your seats. There is a lot more work in the Troxel plywood base seats that you have made, than my Persons. Just as a reference, I posted pictures of the Troxel Jumbo as used on 1916, (and a few years later) Harley-Davidsons.

Eric,

In the past I would never have revealed "how the sausage is made". But, these are the only ones I will make.

Now I have no concerns about how this may help someone else. In fact, after I find home for the seats I have made, I would gladly offer assistance to any one that would like to try a similar project. Then someone else can discover about investing time and money into something without a ROI.

This started out as project to provide seats for my bikes and a couple of friends. Steve said why not do 10.(economy of scale BS)
          So off I went. No regrets. I learned a lot along the way and am proud of the end product.

I do miss the "attaboy" from Steve Ciccalone though.

Thanks for your positive input.

Jerry

Comment

It's funny, Jerry. Everyone says, "I'll want one, or two after you make them", and "Yeah man, ya' gotta' make enough for everyone". We know how that goes. I'm still sitting on Flying Merkel, Henderson, and Excelsior parts I have made. People think your parts should only cost 10% above 1915 catalog prices; and if they're higher, you're a crook I wish I had known Steve better. My interactions with him were always positive, and enlightening.
            Last edited by exeric; 06-03-2018, 06:02 PM.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

My experiences have been similar. But I've had a successful career outside of this ongoing motorcycle love affair.
              Making parts for myself and a few friends means I don't have customers calling to find out when I am going to be done. It also means I can be as obsessive as I want to be about the details.

If it pleases me, I know it will please others.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
              X