No announcement yet.

Toney Watson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great guy and true enthusiast. I know many of us will miss him.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Last fall at Jefferson, there was an "impromtu" meeting of the Order of Henderson. There were five Chicago deluxe hens and one Detroit. Toney had brought his 28 deluxe. All of the usual henderson suspects were there. We spoke a lot about the bikes Mr. Schwinn had produced and how it soon would be their time. This was a special meet by accident. I had traveled with my good friend Byrne and we were going to leave for home early Saturday afternoon but we could not. Ya see, it was one of those rare late October afternoons where the light spilling off the hills made you feel a lot warmer then maybe you really were. Combined with the conversation and moment, no one really thought about the time. I remember thinking at the time Toney really knows these bikes well, real well. Start taking notes, Mark. I hate the loss of knowledge that death often brings. I have to say, this was one of the most decent individuals I have ever met. He often turned a deal to help club members when there was nothing in it for him. He was a networking genius. The University brought a group of students to the Eustis meet who are working on the school's sport scout racer. Toney has been a wealth of knowledge for that project. He took time out to meet with each one of my students and encouraged them to become involved with antique motorcycling. Nothing in it for him other than another fast sport scout and the opportunity to introduce some youth into our club. Toney, the boys and I worked on the scout until 11:30 last night, line reaming the cam bushings on our big base. We're close. Thanks for all of it.

Comment

I will miss Toney very much. He was an extremely knowledgeable Hen guy disguised in Indian clothing. I always sought his opinion on details that would amount to minutia for anybody else and he always provided a thoughtful response. His passing is a huge loss to this Club. God bless you Toney.

Comment

I always enjoyed talking to Toney about the things we do to keep our Indians on the road. He was always a big help. I will miss him very much. It is so sad when a Really Good person like Toney dies young. I am thankful I was able to see him in Eustis. He was upbeat and Happy to be hanging out and talking about Old Motorcycles!
          http://laughingindian.com/
          http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
          A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by indianut View Post
            I always enjoyed talking to Toney about the things we do to keep our Indians on the road. He was always a big help. I will miss him very much. It is so sad when a Really Good person like Toney dies young. I am thankful I was able to see him in Eustis. He was upbeat and Happy to be hanging out and talking about Old Motorcycles!
            It's sad when anybody dies young not just a "Really Good Person" or old for that matter.
            Dave

Comment

Tony was a sincere man that helped me out of a tough personal situation by helping to broker a motorcycle I had. Had he not been able to do so my life would be much different today. I will will always be in debt for that helping hand. The last few years he had made a point to come out to the races after vending at Davenport, it was kind of like having an older brother droping in to say hi. Sure will miss him
              Jim Wall
              amca 3476

Comment

Toney was always willing to share his knowledge, a real asset to the antique motorcycle community. He will be missed by all who knew him. RIP

Comment

My oldest memories of the AMCA were of Toney. Always a smile and a handshake. The meets just got a little more empty.

Comment

this is toneys brother i dont believe i am riding down to florida after his birthday but i will miss him alot.
                    Richard

Comment

Freckle Peters Dad,
                      I know you will sweetie, my heart goes out for you. It sucks really bad. You just take care of your responsibilities at home.
                      Your friend,
                      Denise

Comment

Losing Toney

I still can't get over it. I've known Toney to be very professional, and down to the tiniest detail. Ever knowing on most things motorcycle, not just Indians & Hens, Toney guided me into the intricacies of doing bikes correctly, and eventually into the world of Judging them. To me, a Road Run wasn't a Road Run, unless I was up there in the front of the pack, being led by Toney. Often I can reflect on how diligent he was on the proper, and correct part, or the best for an application during a build, or road-side fix, only to thank him upon being able to enjoy the results.
                        If we ever need guidance on how to set up a reliable bike, or don the proper riding gear, Toney was the one to look to. A real professional.
                        Thanks for everything Toney.
                        RF.

Comment

Fred, I know what you're talking about. Today, I'm working on the carb for my '40 Chief and it was with Toney's help and guidance that I was able to piece the right stuff together to make a compete DLX130. He's all over the place in my shop and I'm just one of many, many people whose life he influenced. Toney Watson has left a very long shadow on this earth.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Totally totally sucks, what a huge loss. Toney and I spent countless hours going over crap for my 37 and 46 chiefs, all unrestored crap where Tony would search for nuts and bolts and other larger items in his garage and elsewhere. He always sold me stuff at very fair prices and often we would still trade stuff. I can't tell you how genuinely happy he was to find me some real rare stuff- not because of the peanuts he would sell them to me for, but just because he was just happy to make someone else happy, a rarity today. We were working on scoring a 39 four that Toney was chasing with me from an old timer; unfortunately we will not now have the time to get that deal done together. Toney's knowledge and passion in many respects is unparalleled in our club. He also had a very mature approach to our sport despite leaving us so young. He used to tell me yeah Anthony I used to be into all this judging stuff, and I judged for awhile but now I just like to ride and help people out. He certainly put on the miles and helped many club members. I never heard anyone say anything but great things about Toney. I know he was trying to finally get a knuckle again and him and I spoke about selling him one of mine but there again we never quite finished that subject. All the best to Toney's family and Rocky. I will miss him dearly-RIP Good friend and I look forward to seeing you again, Anthony Rutledge

Comment

Working...
                            X