R.I.P. Titch Allen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Titch Allen

Titch formed the VMCC (http://www.vmcc.net/) in the 1940's, and came up with the format used by every classic vehicle club in the world.

Vince
    AMCA #9037
    www.vinceandersononline.com
    1973-1/2 LWB BMW R75/5
    1971 Norton Commando
    1952 Triumph TRW
    1936 BMW R2

RIP Titch

A true pioneer for our cause.
    RF.

Comment

I am very saddened to hear this news. What he did for vintage motorcycling is inestimable. His recently published autobiography was a great read. His love for Broughs and Scotts was difficult to match. I looked forward to "Matters Arising" more than any other feature of the monthly VMCC journal. In the 1960's his contributions to Motorcycle Sport magazine gave us the definitive history of Broughs and Nortons amongst others. I had the great pleasure of meeting him at the 50th Brough rally in 2008. He was one of my heros. My sincere condolences to all his family and friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
        I am very saddened to hear this news. What he did for vintage motorcycling is inestimable. His recently published autobiography was a great read. His love for Broughs and Scotts was difficult to match. I looked forward to "Matters Arising" more than any other feature of the monthly VMCC journal. In the 1960's his contributions to Motorcycle Sport magazine gave us the definitive history of Broughs and Nortons amongst others. I had the great pleasure of meeting him at the 50th Brough rally in 2008. He was one of my heros. My sincere condolences to all his family and friends.
        The founders of the AMCA based the club on the VMCC after one of them went to a VMCC event in England in the mid-1950s. "They actually ride the old bikes over there" was the report which promoted the start of the AMCA.

An obituary of C.E. "Tich" Allen can be found at
        http://www.vmcc.net/scripts/news.asp?refid=334

The "Tich" nickname is British slang for a small, lightweight person. Charles Allen might have been physically small, but he was a giant in the old motorcycle field. He was in his 95th year.

Like Barry Brown, I finally got to meet "Tich" two years ago after corresponding with him over the years on various old bike matters. At 93, although needing a motorized scooter to get around the rally field of over 200 Brough Superiors, he was as voluble and concise as ever about the bikes he was checking out, and the many admirers who were there to talk with him.

AFJ

Comment

He was a great man! In my opinion, he was the most influential person in the worldwide historical motorcycle movement.

I was in England in 2007. I asked about visiting him. I was told that he was very frail, and was advised that a visit was probably not a good idea, especially since I was only in country for eight days. However, I did get an autographed copy of his biography.
          Jerry Hatfield

Comment

rest in PEACE !

Comment

Working...
            X