Johnny Eagles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Eagles

Sad day for the So Cal chapter and all who knew him. Johnny passed a couple days ago after having a bad stroke about a week and a half ago. He was the last surviving founding member of our chapter. Still riding his antiques up until about 90 years old ! He will be greatly missed ! RIP Johnny

Tom, So sorry to hear about Johnny. I remember first meeting him at one of the first La Mirada meets when your chapter was first founded in the early seventies. He told me about working with Dewey Bonkard after he got out of the Navy and getting spanked by Dewey's BAD Super X while racing him with his Chief. He thought he'd teach that "old man" a lesson. He built a ton of great bikes making a lot of people happy and rode a ton of miles. He's the last of the old SoCal crew. We were just young boys on choppers and they and Johnny taught us about "old bikes". He will be greatly missed. Super memories. A good man has left the building. Rich
    DrSprocket

Comment

Johnny Eagles helped me with my '17 Henderson. It was a single issue but great advice, and I remember wishing he lived in my neighborhood as he was a wealth of priceless knowledge. I think of Johnny Eagles, Bud Cox, George Yarocki, and many, many other icons born in the 1920s who were friendly, tangible touchstones to an age, machines, and people we admired. We are the beneficiaries of inciteful, sharing enthusiasts (oddballs of their day) who were glad to pass on what they had learned the hard way. God bless, Johnny, and my deepest condolences to his family, and numerous friends.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I would like to add that Johnny Eagles was one of the genuine "good ol' boys" who would help an eager young enthusiast like me when I met him. This was after a few interesting and informative phone conversations mostly about 101 Scouts and using castor bean oil and other ideas. Travelling to S. California with a friend in the early 80's, we enjoyed spending an afternoon with him. I think Max Bubeck was with us and we all went to Dewey Bonkrud's place to see his Chout, a stroker Standard Scout,.among other bikes. Johnny had a fast (stroker) and good looking 101 Scout. He is the reason I was able to obtain the appropriate Corbin speedometer for the '31 101 project I had. He accepted a later Corbin I had found as a good part of the cost of the earlier one he was willing to sell (in the days before they were kept in vaults!) Soon after, I sent him the magneto for my 101 Scout and he serviced it, including installing a seal to stop oil seepage from the cam case hole. We also enjoyed our favorite Southern bourbon together a few times at Colorado AMCA Road Runs and elsewhere. I loved his enthusiasm, his hint of a Texas-type drawal, and that he was so friendly and approachable. I had not seen him in quite a while, but will remember him for this and more, Rest in Peace Johnny..

Comment

I didn't know Mr. Eagles, but i thought i'd do a little tribute to him. From the sounds of it, it seems he would have been a real treasure to have known & hang around and ride with.
          God Speed~Johnny Eagles.
          https://www.facebook.com/AMCASoCal <------- If you type his name in at top right magnifying glass search, there is a lot more information on Johnny.

*M.A.D.*
          fullsizeoutput_1d99.jpeg

91774030_1789720421183564_213128045437911040_n.jpg
          fullsizeoutput_1d9b.jpeg
          278620835_10224923142980209_409128483365494764_n.jpg
          Last edited by JoJo357; 04-19-2022, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Very nice article about Johnny Tom. It should also be noted that Dewey worked for Jud for quite a few years after he came west and Jud's old shop still stands in the Northwestern corner of the circle in downtown Orange. Jud was in charge of all the Indian race bikes back in the mid-teen forward. That covered the board trackers too. He provided 16 year old Joe Petrali with his first ride at Fresno. A lot of history through Jud to Dewey to Johnny.
            DrSprocket

Comment

Thanks Richard, I wish I could of got more from Johnny and a lot of other's. Like you said their all gone now, our chapter is far worse for the loss, I tell you. The old timers were one of the best things about our club and how we will miss them. I was getting a kick out of visiting Johnny and he seemed to enjoy it more as he was really getting old. He liked talking about the old days and friends gone by. Sorry I did not get that story about Dewey, sounded like great fun. I got to meet him, but sadly like several others I have met, they were on their last legs and hurting unit's.

Comment

I had the pleasure of meeting John on one of the early Colorado road runs in the late 80's or early 90's John was a true gentleman, always willing to talk with me, answer questions and share his knowledge with me. I leaned on him a lot in the early days when I started working on magnetos, he was a wealth of knowledge and always a joy to visit with!

I look back at the days of the first few Rocky Mtn DJ Road Runs and think of all the great old timers I was blessed to meet. John was one of them and like so many of the rest, he has passed and taken so much of his wisdom, knowledge and great stories with him. I'll miss calling him from time to time. Rest in peace John, and hopefully you're enjoying a ride somewhere!

Comment

Gene, I'm setting here looking at my '87 DJ belt buckle. Ben Chesney, Bob McClean, Herb Ottaway, and Hatfield and Bubeck pulling in from California on their 101's (no trailer for them). SoCal meets with Johhny, Ernie Skelton, Chuck Vernon, Ed Kretz, John Cameron, Bob Ross, and more. I remember the early Sandhill meet in NorCal rubbing elbows with Dick Mann, Hap Jones, Sam Arena, Tom Sifton, and others. For a guy in his twenties and early thirties it was the best of times. it will never be like that again. Glad I didn't miss it. That's were I first met you and John Crawford at the '87 DJ run.
                  DrSprocket

Comment

Rich,

I remember that ride very well! You were the lone Brand X participant! I admired that but didn't know squat about Brand X at the time. I too was a young guy in my early 20's for those first DJ rides. It was an exciting time for sure!

Gene

Comment

Just saw there is going to be a memorial ride on June 4th for those that are in the area or want to travel. Sounds like he touched a lot of lives. That's a pretty good legacy in my book!

https://www.socalamca.com/events/202...ration-of-life
                      Eric Olson
                      Membership #18488

Comment

Working...
                      X