• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen P. Carter 3/8/06 - 3/17/06

ALLEN CARTER passed away this week.

Thought you guys would want to know.
    He was involved in the 841s and the Indian trikes & had a 101 Scout for
    transportation before WW2
    Also he was very proud of his Motorcycle Hall of Fame membership.

I got to ride in a car with him driving when he was only 94.
    He still liked to talk about them motorcycles!
    If you know any old timers buy them a beer or speak with them while they're
    still around.

Regards, Jim Jones

Allen P. Carter
    3/8/06-3/17/06

Allen Carter, formally of

Brandywine Blvd., passed away at Millcroft Health Care Facility, where he
    celebrated his 100th birthday with family & friends.

Mr. Carter was born on Marsh Rd to the late Alice & Elwood Carter. As a boy, he
    went to work as an apprentice at du Pont Motors on Commerce St. in Wilmington DE
    (a manufacturer of luxury motor cars) rising to become service manager. While
    employed at du Pont motors, he also, became head racing mechanic and raced the
    duPont car at Indianapolis 500 and Le Mans France.

After du Pont Motors closed in 1935, he continued on doing service on the cars.
    Mr. Carter also began working for Richard C. du Pont Sr. helping him develop the
    use of airplanes for the pick up and delivery of mail. During WWII, he worked
    for the Indian Motor Cycle Co. as an engineer helping to develop motorcycles for
    the army. In 1999, Mr. Carter was inducted into the Motorcycle Hall of Fame for
    his work on a folding motorcycle. After WWII, he became an Indian motorcycle
    dealer and later a Harley Davidson dealer; all the while, repairing and
    restoring cars. At one time, he restored bicycles for the Franklin Institute in
    Philadelphia. During his time as a motorcycle dealer, he raced motorcycles on
    the beach at Daytona Beach FL and other races in this country. He also became
    head racing mechanic for Mr. Charles Moraine, racing cars in Europe and Daytona
    Beach and Sea bring Fl. During the late 1950's, he was asked by Rolls
    Royce/Bentley to be a service representative for their cars, a position he held
    until he retired. He spent over 70 years at the same Commerce St location. Among
    his many interests, he also enjoyed boating. For many years he kept a boat on
    the Sassafras River.

He was preceded in death by his brother Herbert Carter, his sister Margaret
    Lily, his late wife Mary Joyce Carter (d. 1962), friend and companion of his
    later years the late Jane Heffefinger. Mr. Carter is survived by his daughter
    Alice Breger and her husband, James Sr. and his grandchildren Joyce and James
    Breger Jr.

A memorial service will be held at the Doherty Funeral Home, 3200 Limestone Rd.,
    Pike Creek on Friday March 24 at 2 PM where friends may call after 1. Burial
    will be private.

In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to Farm Fresh Markets, PO box 15691,
    Washington, D.C. 20003, (202 362 8889) a non profit organization devoted to farm
    land preservation.

My GOD rest his soul in PEACE

Comment

AMEN

Comment

Allen P. Carter

I had the great pleasure and honor to spend a couple of days with Allen a few years ago. He granted a recorded interview that revealed many facts and anecdotes about the Indian Motocycle Company under Paul du Pont. He was a treasure.

Comment

As I read the obituaries I realize that these great people are gone and NOT forgotten, but will never be replaced.

RIP.................. Allen Carter

Comment

Working...
          X