Howard Heilman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Heilman

I just learned that Howard Heilman died in November, 2010. He was in his 80s. When I bought my first (and only) antique motorcycle -- a 1915 Yale -- anybody I contacted for information said I should talk to Howard. He had been a member of the club since the early days and had restored five Yales. I only met him in person once at Wauseon years ago but he was always willing to share his considerable knowledge, accurate detailed drawings and collection of Yale literature.

Many will remember Howard for his business of restoring early motorcycle and bicycle saddles -- he did hundreds (maybe thousands) over the years. He did the saddle and the leather work on the tool box for my bike with care and skill.

Howard embodied what I think of as the spirit of the antique motorcycle hobby: love of the early motorcycles and their history and an eagerness to share his knowledge. He was a gentleman and a credit to the hobby and he will be missed.

Bob Culp

Howard helped me on some of my books. I never met him yet I counted him as a friend.
    Jerry Hatfield

Comment

Howard did 2 of my seats before he left us. He will be missed. RIP Howard
      AMCA #765

Comment

Working...
      X