No announcement yet.

Steve Ciccalone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May you rest in peace my friend as you will be missed by many,no longer will we hear the drunken singing session the night before the Keene swap meet,(or at any of the national meets) I'm glad I was there with you last September and was looking forward to next weekend. it will be a solemn day this year. rest in peace

Comment

Without Steve's help and encouragement I would never have started down the Henderson road.
      So many great times over the past 12 years. A man among men!
      God Speed!

Jerry

Comment

What a sad evening it was last night when my spotty cell phone coverage allowed an e-mail on this subject to come through.

I was sitting at the campfire out at the Yankee Chapter's road run up in Charlemont, Massachusetts and told others there of the loss.

Although I never found the time to get to know Steve on a truly personal level, I always found him an affable and fascinating character with whom I enjoyed the time I did get to spend with him.

I recently became editor of the Yankee Chatter (the newsletter for the Yankee Chapter). Steve was a longtime member and supporter of the Yankee Chapter and I had intended to interview him for a "featured member" section in the next issue. Sadly, that is not to be.

However, I think that expressions such as those found here and others would be a fitting substitute for inclusion in a special commemoration section about Steve in the next issue which will be published in mid-November.

Therefore, I would like to make an open call for comments about, and photos of, Steve Ciccalone. I know he served 22 years active duty in the Coast Guard, retired as a Commander (O-6) and remained active as a consultant in the maritime industry and was also very active with Model A restoration, so if anyone reading this knows folks in those circles who would like to submit material, I would really appreciate it if you can forward this to them. I will gladly carefully scan and return any original photos or other documents I receive.

Please e-mail me any comments to editor@yankeechapter.org

Any other material may be mailed to me at home:

Mark Hunnibell
        376 Black Rock Tpke
        Redding, CT 06896
        Tel: 203-240-4423

For my part, I will include a short note about my last conversation with Steve in July... we were discussing what color to paint my 1919 Henderson. The obvious answer is khaki green. However, John Pierce, who is painting it for me, had stripped the frame down and found incontrovertible evidence that the bike rolled out of the factory in bright fire engine red. It was such an alarming conclusion that John had Steve come over to take a look and confirm the finding, which he did. A few days later, Steve posted about it here on a new thread (Interesting 1919 Henderson Color), asking if anyone had ever seen a red Henderson. Steve thought I should probably paint it green because it would be easier for my kids or next owner to explain. I thought that sounded right, but then I thought more about it... and what my wife said, "that bike was BORN red." I hadn't gotten around to telling Steve I am going to have John match the original red, but I think he probably knew. In any case, I will remember him fondly and always.

Mark Hunnibell
        Last edited by MarkHunnibell; 09-17-2011, 09:23 PM. Reason: fix typo

Comment

Funeral Arrangements for Steve from Kent Thompson

Steve's Mass will be @ St. Catherine Church
          Wednesday 9-21-11 - - 11 A.M.
          285 Main St. Charlestown New Hampshire 03603
          603 826 3359
          Last edited by big jesus 151; 09-18-2011, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Those Excellent Singing Sessions !!!

Hey Billy, I will miss them, He was the man, what a voice !!! What FUN!! Carl

Comment

My son Jared and I got the grand tour from Steve one day on our visit to kent's great guy great stories amazing collection...he will be missed by many...my prayers to his family and friends
              Ron and Jared Roberts

Comment

hey steve i will leave ya a yuengling at the front gate at jefferson as i always do ,,will miss you brother! jon szalay

Comment

Just found this online about our friend Steve. http://www.cgaalumni.org/s/1043/inde...id=1&pgid=1150

Ed
                  Ed Glasgow
                  # 2053
                  http://www.edsindianbolts.com/

Comment

Ed. Thanks for posting. Really a modern day hero as someone else noted earlier and more importantly a true great guy.

Comment

My Condolences to his Family and Friends.

I hope I have this right.

His screen name was "Chicagohen", so being new and looking for other club members near me and not knowing anything about Henderson's I sent him a private message asking him if he was from the Chicago area because of his screen name.

Steve's response, "Most of and my favorite bikes are 1922 to 1930 Hendersons".

Rest in peace.
                      AMCA #10930

Comment

In yesterdays newspaper "The Hartford Courant" there was a very nice obituary on Steve and his life. If someone did a google search for it and knew how to cut and paste a link here it would be nice for everyone to see and it would be appreciated. ?? Thanks, 46el

Comment

CICCALONE, Stephen Thomas
                          Stephen Thomas Ciccalone of Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire died at his home Friday, (September 16). Steve was born in Hartford on June 11, 1952, the son of Joseph and Agnes (Kristof) Ciccalone. Steve was a graduate of East Catholic High School class of 1970 (Manchester, CT) and the United States Coast Guard Academy (USCGA) class of 1975. At the Academy, Steve majored in History and had a successful athletic career as a member of the football and wrestling teams, ultimately inducted into the USCGA Athletic Hall of Fame in the Fall of 2009. Steve went on to serve as an officer in the United States Coast Guard for 22 years as a marine inspector, including a deployment during first Gulf War. He retired at the rank of Commander in July of 1997 due to being diagnosed with multiple myeloma. Originally given a prognosis of 5 years, he then went on to live the next 14 years pursuing a second career as the Designated Person for Norwegian Cruise Lines and as a private marine survey consultant. His love of history and all things mechanical led him to his life-long hobby, collecting antique cars and motorcycles. He was an active member of the Chesapeake and Yankee Chapters of the Antique Motorcycle Club of America and the Model "A" Ford Club of America throughout his adult life. Steve was widely regarded in these communities as having significantly contributed to the body of knowledge regarding accurate restoration. An animal lover, he also volunteered time for the Lab Rescue Club of the LRCP while stationed in Washington D.C.. He would foster Labrador retrievers of all sizes, ages, and health conditions, often permanently adopting dogs for which homes could not be found. A devoted son, father, and friend, Steve is survived by his parents, Joseph and Agnes, of Walpole, NH; his son David of Middletown, RI, his son Stephen, daughter-in-law Anne; and grandson Sean of Glastonbury; his long-time companion, Anne-Marie Haraldsen of Barrington, RI; his aunt Ann Salonia of Westbrook; and several cousins and countless friends across the United States.
                          Services are Wednesday, with a morning Mass at the St. Catherine Church in Charlestown, N.H. at 11 a.m. followed by a burial in the St. Peter's Cemetery in Walpole N.H. Fenton and Hennessey Funeral
                          Louie
                          FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                          Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                          YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Thank You Louie. John P.

Comment

good guy always was fun to be with

Im sorry to hear about the passing of Steve. Only great memories even when we were out there trying to get the same part or bike.
                              I will miss you Steve in was my pleasure knowing you
                              Have good ride!
                              Larry

Comment

Fiends,
                                The Chesapeake Chapter would like you to join us for a celebration of Steve Ciccalone with pictures and stories in the WHITEROSE clubhouse at 7PM Friday
                                Sept. 30th.

Thomas Finn
                                Secretary, Chesapeake Chapter

Comment

Working...
                                X