Head Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Lock

Does anyone know how to remove the steering-head lock from a 56 straightleg frame ? I' m going to have to the frame stripped, The company doing it, said I should remove the lock, because the chemicals used will destroy the brass in the lock assemble. Thanks D. N.

There is a small pin that goes in from the top around the 1 or 2 o'clock position of the casting. If you clean the paint off you should see it. You'll need to drill it out (it goes right into the outer edge of the lock assembly) and then wiggle the lock assembly out. Given that NOS neck locks for your 56 sell for $50 on eBay, I'd probably let the cleaner's destroy it and then pick out what's left afterwords and put in a new one ... Perry

Comment

Before I let them destroy the lock Id make sure I had another in my hand!
      I have one here but would I sell it for 50.00, I dare say NOT!
      As for the chemical dip..... Why not have your frame bead blasted? Chemicals have been a nitemare for me.
      Which ever way you go have fun and good luck let us know how you make out!

Comment

Chemical stripping is a nightmare. The stuff gets into every tiny crack and crevice and despite what they tell you about getting it all out with the post dip wash, you will have some seepage and it will ruin your paint. If you are concerned about damaging the frame will a coarse abrasive like sand, there are other media available that will do no harm. I leave the key lock in place if it is in good condition. Use good duct tape over the lock and part of the boss to protect it, and then physicaly clean the area immediate to the lock with hand tools.

Comment

nos locks

bills cycle in pa. had the locks nos im sure he still has some

Comment

Attached is a pic of the pinhole location.

It is best to use a left-hand drill bit. I wiggle an old key within the core while drilling to feel when it loosens, lest the drill damage the core.

The hole can be tapped for a set screw for future maintenance, and covered by filling with paint. But if you are really a fanatic, I believe the originals were possibly screws that were chisled off, untill rollpins were introduced sometime in the mid-60's.
            Those are very difficult to drill!
            Attached Files

Comment

First I,d like to thank everyone for your response. This is by far the best $30 bucks I've spent . I belong to AMA,which I think is a great club,also H.O.G. just for the patch & pin. My hat is off to each & everyone of you, for your knowledge & willingness to share it. This is my first attempt at restoration ,and I'd want to do it right the first time . I am not going to strip my frame , I'll have it glass beaded. My neck lock works just fine, and don't want to screw it up. I did locate the pin, it's a 1/2 back and about 3/16 in dia. at 1:00 . INLINE4NUT what would you sell the nos lock for ?I might need it for a 54 frame. FLTHEAD how do I get in touch with Bill's Cycle in Pa ? Thanks D. N.

Comment

ebay head locks

you can contact bill at 1-570-759-9613 [fax] 1-570-759-9684 there is 2 nos locks on ebay now #4538924507 is bills lock / another lock on ebay is 4537249973/ also teds cycle in n.y. makes repop locks that work fine id go with bills great guy with quality stuff

Comment

Thanks FLTHEAD I'm bidding on it right.

Comment

D.N.
                    If yo udont win it on E-Bay E-Mail me at onedollarbill@hushmail.com I wont bend you over as I dont have a need for any longer.
                    Glad to hear your not going to dip your frame youll will never regret it!

Comment

ebay lock nos

ebay #4539098721 buy it now 50.00 nos lock from bills

Comment

Hey INLINE4NUT i e-mailed you but your spam-blocker returned it. I did what it told me to do ? Don't know that you received it. D.N.

Comment

DN,
                          Sorry Ive been a little busy, I did get it and I believe i sent you a reply,if I didnt will do ASAP!
                          Did you get the one on E-Bay?

Comment

INLINE4NUT i don't think i got the lock ?

Comment

Triumph motors used a locking pin that was designed to snap off head once a certain torque value was achived.

I was able to remove by first punching with pin and then drilling 3/4 percent of core out of screw to 3/4 of it's depth, then driving in an old worn out small philips screw driver #1 maybe. Gave frame some heat with propane torch and out it came.

Hope that helps.

Mask inside of lock hole before paint. It's a tight fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X