linkert float

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linkert float

are there any advantages of using brass float instead of new cork float ? thanks mark

There are no advantages unless the cork float won't stand up to moden gas and if you go with brass make sure you get an american made one the ones from India leak a large percentage of the time.

Comment

Brass floats

I do not know which brass floats are the good ones. I have had a lot of bad experiences and wasted hours of carb tuning on my bike because of brass floats. Many are too heavy and cannot be adjusted. Even when adjusted further down in the bowl, the bike will constantly run rich and foul plugs. I just purchased and installed one of Cotten's fuel resistant "Liberty" floats on my servi and it runs and starts better than it ever has. Cotten is frequently on this board and I believe he is listed on the net as Liberty Cycles.

Comment

Here's blurb & address: http://virtualindian.org/5deallib.htm

I just put one of his floats in. It's well made. I have not road tested it yet. I belive some people have had problems with high alcohol content in some gas, which causes the cork float to swell.

For an ear full - ask him about his PEEK manifold seal rings.

Comment

thanks for info and web site.just started motor after total rebuild have it idleling fine and accelerates with out hesitation.plugs look to be running rich and have some weepage around bowl gasket very slight. have float set at about 3/16.tried to use brass float when you screw arm on the the float is way high you would have to do some severe bending of arm and this just did not look right to me. the recess on the brass float for the screw is much higher.any other tunning tips would be apprciated.does any one use hylomar on bowl gasket or should it be put on dry ? thanks again mark

Comment

Brass floats don't

I think 1/4" is the spec for panhead Linkerts.

Brass floats must be set very deep to achieve the same fuel level. Cheap english-brass floats made in India should be leaktested in hot water before setting at ~3/8", as they weigh three times as much as original corks and Armstrong floats. American-made Kokesh floats do not leak, but they weigh four times as much as originals, and must be set nearly out of travel at ~7/16".

They will service, but gas mileage will suffer from the sluggish mass, pivot pin and floatlever fingers will wear, and performance will suffer from the loss of bowl reserve capacity from the gross submerged volume (see attachment.)

Corks log with fuel if there is any cracks or pinholes in its coating, such as from installing the pivotnut/screw. The factory used a sealer of course. But today's fuels digest nearly any goober you can come up with... Even the old Armstrong foam floats swell up in Midwestern P4gas.
            And the fuel won't get any better. (And no, it ain't the ethanol!)

Durable floats for Linkerts and Scheblers (on top in the attachment) are machined from an absolutely solvent-proof closed-cell foam. It even resists methylene chloride paint stripper, and drilling holes in it cannot make it leak or log.
            Availability is limited, so please post me direct at liberty@npoint.net

Thanks for letting me spam atcha.

....Cotten
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X