inebriated linguistics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inebriated linguistics

This is dumb -I would suggest reading something else -but I discovered something interesting.

I was shooting the bull with a fellow ant. M/C guy. I had a few - so in describing a fellow M/C restoration guys skills, I was looking for a non-derogitory creative word to descibe the guy in conversation. I said; "Ya, he's very persnickety with his resto work." We had a good laugh with that one. As you don't hear that word very often.

I later thought to myself. Is that even a word? Did I have one, too many? Well, now I know - yes it is, and in fact a period correct word to boot! So there ya go. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

P.S. I'll bet $50 that Bob McClean will love this word. Someone tell it to him. I've noted he LOVES to say "Schickel". But then again - who doesn't!

per·snick·e·ty
    Pronunciation: p&r-'sni-k&-tE
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: alteration of pernickety
    Date: circa 1905
    1 a : fussy about small details

I knew I should have © that word when I used it on a post some time ago..

Comment

Ahhhh-HA! Thanks man. It's a goodie.

Comment

Sorry, but I think the copyright on that word has to go to my Grandmother.........

She used it all the time.........

Isn't this great, we all like the old machinery.......
        and now we're starting to like using all the old words too !!!

Comment

Re: inebriated linguistics

Originally posted by AdminGuy

per·snick·e·ty
          Pronunciation: p&r-'sni-k&-tE
          Function: adjective
          Etymology: alteration of pernickety
          Date: circa 1905
          1 a : fussy about small details [/B]
          Perfect!

As in: "Bill Harley and the Davidson brothers were very persnickety when they started building and selling their excellent motorcycles in 1905."

http://www.atthecreation.com/

Comment

Will their ever be a book written on Dixie Distributing®, Eastern®, Tedd® (pretty persnickety about their casting detail), Superior®, Lifeline® Taiwan, and any others I've left out? The parallel universe of AM manufacturers that have catered to our replica/ bobber wants and needs for the last century? Our history, as being written today. Have you looked at a set of Knuckle replica heads lately? http://www.hydra-glide.net >Miscellaneous Pictures
            You want living history? Buy your Flathead, Knuckle and Knuckle/Pan (crossover parts) from Chuck Wesholski. You want to interview this person while he's still around. He's persnickety. You want to get to know this person if your interested in Harley-Davidson history in the U.S.A., or getting the right part, first issue. Hillclimb, fuelers, stockers, who rode them, who built them. Who has ever called Chuck and ordered a part that he's been out of? He usually never has time for chit-chat, unless he has a bone to pick about about something and then you might get him to run-on about about a subject before he catches himself and says, "Well, I hate to be rude, but I've got to punch-in and get to work here". The aftermarket could not have a better, more qualified leader than Kick-Start Chuck. When he's gone, a big hunking chunk of resource will fall off in the ocean. Reach him at (616) 245-8991 Mon.-thru Friday 10-5 (EST).

Comment

Hummm..OK, who hasn't put a plug in yet? Raise your hand.

Comment

Yes..your right Earl..I have no claim to "persnickety". But I have conjured up and original bumper sticker slogan for post-election California, which reads:
                "I WOULD have voted for McClintock!"©

Comment

Chuck at KickStart is a great guy and knows plenty. He put me on the right track when it came to the "Knuth's Special" hillclimbers of the 1920s and some other things too. He was smart enough to tap into the knowledge of some very knowledgeable old timers now dead and gone forever. I'd say that 90% of American motorcycle history and knowledge has been lost because nobody bothered to record it from the main guys involved. Luckily we have the old mags and newspapers yet.

http://www.atthecreation.com/

Comment

"Persnickity" is lots of fun to say. But a true antique bike sort is more likely to be absolutely "punctilious" instead of merely persnickety, right? ("marked by the precise exact accordance with the details of codes or conventions")

Roy

Comment

Working...
                    X