lots of pressure in lower end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lots of pressure in lower end

My '48 pan with 1000 miles on it is burning oil(at idle and on deaccel, not noticeable at higher rpm) and leaking oil, the top end has been checked for the common sources. Is it possible the lower end has too much pressure built up, forcing oil up past the rings? I removed the primary cover and attached a hose to the breather tube, NOTHING comes out of it... If I remove the timing hole plug it has lots of pressure, but not sure whats normal, it blew away a stack of newspapers 4 feet away. The breather gear timing has been double checked!
    Thanks for any advice! Dick

Breathing..

Dick!

I've triple-checked breathers and STILL been wrong. I didn't start at the start.

Flatties are even worse.

Comment

I found out why I didn't have pressre into the primary... The internal passage, where it takes a 90 degree turn, just behind the oil pump, opened up like a '65. now I have 2 problems, how do I plug that so my chain gets oil again???

Comment

The hole I'm refering to is the 1965 breather vent,(a pic is worth a thousand words, see below I don't know what came out of it to allow the breather to vent there, but I can't oil my chain til I plug it again... any ideas??
        Attached Files

Comment

I think that hole uses a pan shaped plug. I don't think automotive freeze plugs come that small, but you could stop at NAPA and check what they have. VW uses some similar type plugs in their oil galleys in the cases.

Comment

I lucked out, upon further investigation, my hole is tapped for 1/4 inch IPS, just screwed a plug in it!! The old one must have worked its way out...

Comment

Hey Pan64:

Following this discussion, I can't see if/how you resolved the problem you originally posted. Did you find that pressure in the bottem end was causing the problem.

Can you clarify whether replacing the plug solved oil buring problem you mentioned in your opening post?

Comment

Working...
              X