No announcement yet.

Do you want a gen race bike discussion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you want a gen race bike discussion?

How about a general racer sect. in H-D, IND, Brit. ???

Give me ten votes and I'll do it.
    H-D
    0%
    IND
    0%
    British
    0%
    Scrap that idea!
    0%

The poll is expired.

I really don't know if I can vote on this subject, as the only thing I know about race bikes is what I saw in the movie "On Any Sunday" Love that movie by the way.

Jim

Comment

Stand Up and Be counted!

You've got my vote!... ....RacerX.. Hrdly-Dangrs PS Jim were you watching 'On Any Sunday' yesterday too?! Great movie. If you go on E'bay and punch in 'Trophys' you'll see there are some of Gary Nixon's original trophys for sale. Neat.. PSS Racing and its various subjects are great reading and learning and there is much that can be applied to your everyday riding skills and maintenance techniques!

Comment

G. Nixon is doing something w/ J. Wood auctions @ Daytona. Something about a road ride or autographs or something. I'll hear about it now ...most likely.

He's a great guy. Go say hi.

Comment

I'm not a huge racing fan, but like some aspects of it.

I like vintage hillclimbing.

Is that racing?

Very cool looking hillclimbers in the late 20s into the 30s. W.G.'s new book has some good racing photos I hadn't seen before.

There was a pretty good article in the last Cycle World about TT racing. Showed a stripped Knucklehead. Nice to see...

Also like the early endurance run stuff -- way way back.

Comment

Would this also include a belt drive class?
            I mean leather......flat.........pre-1915.......?

Comment

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

We've got 90 views and seven votes. Lots of lurkers out there. Come on people!

I would pay money to see a couple of belt drives go full out, head to head -for five miles. He who has the strongest legs legs would surely win. He who finishes -would win.

hope someone shoots some video of Bruces journey to the big H-D 100.

Comment

Another thing we could do is put Bruce on a scale before he leaves, and weigh him in when he arrives in Milwaukee, and try to determine how much he pedaled.......

Those early bikes had a tough time getting thru all the road ruts and mud. But this trip should be across smooth back roads.

We could start a poll with the winner guessing how many miles Bruce has to pedal.

My guess is ZERO !!!!

Comment

OK, so I voted. Only because it was brought up about Hill Climbs, and old belt drives which leads me to think about board track racing. Some pretty brave souls back then. I have baseball hats thicker then some of there helmets.

Jim

Comment

Re: Brd track. I was amazed at the amount of oil that was blown onto the boards from the cut barrels. Video. What happened if it rained? Did cars go first or bikes?

I wonder what sort of spares dept. will accompany Bruce? Yes, lets vote on the variables. Give me some catagories. Some positive and some negative.

OHH!!! here's one. How many times will Bruce be asked what year the bike is? 50,100,500,1000.

How many quarts of oil will he use? Will he get a flat tire, broken spoke? Number of times Bruce grunts, as he trys to sit down on his painfully brused butt? Will he use the original seat? Will his gas tank hold together? Number of times that fellow bikers wave to him?

Which major oil company will sponsor his run? Or better! How many sponsorship logos will Bruce be able to fit onto his jacket? 10,15,20?

It would be great if a corp. picked up an exclusive on this action. Some organized TV coverage along the route -would be great fun also.

Comment

Bruce's Ride to 100 H-D

This Bruce ride to Harley's 100th seems to be taking on a life of it's own and really deserves a thread of its own.

A friend looked at the calendar photo of Bruce's 1905 Harley and said: "He's going to ride THAT bike from Ohio to Milwaukee?

It's true there arent' many muddy ruts or deep sand anymore, but there are stoplights and traffic cops. How's he going to deal with that stuff? That bike doesn't have a clutch, only a belt tightener. Won't he have to pedal at stoplights to get going? Or push and jump on? If you use the belt tightener as a clutch won't it burn out the facing in short order?

The only thing I can figure out is he'll bypass towns and cities and only stop when necessary and use rolling stops AMAP. But coming from the east it's pretty civilized and he'll have a million cars on his butt.

Unless he rides in the bicycle lane, hmmmm....

What a GREAT epic journey. Probably one that hasn't been attempted for 80-85 years when clutches came into use....

Hey, isn't Bruce's bike the EXACT same model as SERIAL NUMBER ONE (Alpha-shiny) and SERIAL NUMBER ONE (Beta-beater)?

Comment

Great discussion... but this particular thread is all over the place. It seems to have turned into a race with no particular destination.
                        Who is Bruce? I kinda can decifer he is riding a 1905, and he is wearing a leather belt, does he sport a chaufers cap?
                        Speaking for myself I like old race bikes, or any old bike. But I am not a racer. Never raced anyone on 2 wheels. My favorite bumper sticker reads "I MAY BE SLOW BUT I AM AHEAD OF YOU". I am also partial to to the ones that read "DRIVE LIKE HELL... AND YOU'LL GET THERE" or "THIS TOO SHALL PASS". This thread has already derailed so I interject that I saw a sticker on the back of a car the other day that read "I LOVE ANIMALS...THEY'RE DELICIOUS !".
                        Back to the point count me out on the voting. I am tired of having some smart guy on a fast bike wearing color coordinated clothing blow my doors in as I tool down the higway at a leisurely pace.

Doug
                        I am going slow because I am where I want to be.

Comment

AMCA Member, Bruce Linsday's 1905 Harley is on the front cover of this year 2003 Calendar. His intention is to ride his 05' from Cleveland to Milwaukee for Harley D's 100th Anniversary......Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Thanks Hrdly,
                            Any truth to the story that Bruce Springsteen is leading a ride to the 100th from the Stone Pony?
                            Doug

Comment

AdminGuy whats the next step for this 'Racer Discusson Section??.... ..Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Working...
                              X