Early Pan Fork Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Pan Fork Lock

Any experts on removing / and installing fork locks on a early pans...just spent a ridiculous sum for a NOS LOCK and I would like to make sure it operates after installing...the last time I installed one it did not work...tricks to remove old one...check out pin in frame and install new one would be appreciated..thanks .tc (oldpan*)

Naturally I forget the size of the drill bit,....

But the t-clamps must be removed, and it's a left hand drillbit.

Late pans like 65's used a hardened rollpin instead of a peened screw, and they are a doublecusser.

The most important thing is to know when to quit, if you hope to pull the core out and have it cleaned.

I tap the hole for a setscrew for future repairs, and hide it with thick paint.

That aught to be a good clue for a drill size.

Comment

pan fork lock..need more info!!

thanks,...but you are moving way to fast..if you can..lets start at the beginning..ok.....I am looking at a fork lock that does not work..so I...........????..I need a detailed description of the whole process..I really can't afford another lock!..thanks to you and anyone else that wants to add to this description of a job that I need to learn..tc

Comment

OP!
        I'll try to attach a photo of a stripped headstock that shows the where the pin was drilled out.

It is at about 1 o'clock as you look straight at the core, and usually you can feel the nub of whats left after the original pin was chisled off.

The drillbit must lay nearly against the headstock, so the front fork must be removed. As I posted before, the critical aspect is to only drill out the pin, and not into the lock core! I use an old key to hold and wiggle the core, and eventually pull it out.

Note also that the plunger must be removed for cleaning as well, and you will see where the welch plug on the very front of the headstock has been removed for access.

Grease everything for reassembly, and I religiously omit the spring.

Now lets see if I can post this pic:
        Attached Files

Comment

now you're taking!..thanks..I appreciate your efforts in showing me this..TC (oldpan)*

Comment

WHOOPS...forgot one question...do I put a new pin in after installation..and is that part of lock..or do i need to find this pin somewhere?/..thanks again..tc (oldpan)*

Comment

As I posted before, "I tap the hole for a setscrew for future repairs, and hide it with thick paint."

The original may well have been a self tapping screw that is sheared off intentionally with over-torque. ('Xcept those late Pans with rollpins.)

Comment

fork lock

GOTTCHA...THANKS..TC

Comment

Working...
                X