Reading Standard Crankcases, 1918 1200cc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading Standard Crankcases, 1918 1200cc

Looking for a pair of crankcases to replace my now broken ones. It's a 1918 model but all offers of help will be gratefully received. The main bearing bosses have cracked and started breaking away on both sides. It happened last week but luckily we stopped for another reason so there was no catastrophic departure of the flywheels. [ATTACH]23698[/ATTACH]ONFIG]23698[/ATTACH] Andrew@vintagesteel.com.au

Any photos of the damaged area? This can be welded up on those cases and machined back as RS cases seem to be some of the easier cases of the period to weld we have found. Trying to find replacements are quite difficult.

Comment

A good friend in Italy made some new onces(seems most off them are broken..) and machined them.
      He made them on several spots stronger, but can also deliver them as original onces.

kees20180318_092058_resized.jpg20180318_092108_resized.jpg20180318_092124_resized.jpg20180318_092134_resized.jpg

Comment

Or have this original pair for sale20190322_120730_resized.jpg20190322_120737_resized.jpg20190322_120741_resized.jpg20190322_120800_resized.jpg20190322_120820_resized.jpg

Comment

What price do you have on the original damaged cases?

Comment

Morning,

The original cases are euro 2000 incl sending
            The replica cases without machining are euro 2500 excl sending

kees

Comment

Originally posted by keeskoster View Post
              Morning,

The original cases are euro 2000 incl sending
              The replica cases without machining are euro 2500 excl sending

kees

I understand the time it takes to make the patterns unless the old cases were used as casting patterns. Using the old cases as patterns would make the new castings around 7% smaller per shrink value. 7% shrinkage does not sound like much, but it really is.
              So did he make new patterns or used the old cases as patterns?
              Thank you
              Last edited by ryan; 03-25-2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

When we make new onces they are 100% in size as the old onces, and, only difference is on the inside, on the week spots on the original cases we added material, so they are stronger and a far better aluminium than they used.

They are mad to use them, rallye, and not for show

kees

Comment

That is amazing work, kees. I have so much respect for people who put the effort, time, money, and dedication into such a noble project. Reading Standard is one of my favorite motorcycles, and I only wish there were more of them out there.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    That is amazing work, kees. I have so much respect for people who put the effort, time, money, and dedication into such a noble project. Reading Standard is one of my favorite motorcycles, and I only wish there were more of them out there.
                    I agree Eric, I would love to be involved in a project like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X