gas & oil cap bungs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas & oil cap bungs

Just took on a 26 JD barn find. The left side gas & oil cap bungs are not attached to the tank. This in turn allows the shifter gate to fall off. What held the threaded sleeves to the tank from the factory and what needs to be done to reattach? Thank you for any help.

Soldered up.
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Reference site specific to JD's: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/harleyjd/info
      Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
        Soldered up.
        Does that require tank disassembly to solder internally? If yes is there a temporary way to secure them to get it running prior to full restoration?

Comment

I've soldered them from the top. Everything has to be surgically clean. I use 50/50 solder, and liquid flux. You have to be careful with the heat because there is a seam at the outer edge of the tank and the oil compartment can be breeched if you get the area too hot. I would look into using a heavy soldering iron if you can find one. A propane torch is not a good way to go because it can get things too hot, put contaminants into the flux, and it can melt solder at the seams, as mentioned. You might also want to 'prime' the sheet metal, and bungs with a low melting point solder before you go with the stronger 50/50. Filling the oil tank with water would also protect the oil tank seam when you solder the gas bung which is going to require more heat. Those are things I have done on soldered tanks; hopefully someone with more experience will jump in.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by otis71 View Post
            Just took on a 26 JD barn find.
            Hey Otis, that sounds like a good find! What's the chance of you posting some photos of your find for us to drool over?
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks to exeric for the advice. Sure I will need a lot more advice as I go.

Comment

No problem Otis. Things like this are a learning process, and most of it will be trial and error for you. I get my solder, and flux from McMaster Carr and they also sell a heavy duty electric soldering iron but they are expensive. I got my electric soldering iron at a flea market for $2, but I prefer the old timey copper irons that you heat with a torch. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Here ya go Otis. These are left over from when I practictest being a craftsman before the word computer aded machine entered my life. Pick one and I'll sell it to ya dirt cheap in the name of restoration. Bob L
                  Attached Files
                  AMCA #3149

Comment

DSCN2655.jpgDSCN2656.jpg

Comment

What a beautiful machine. Enjoy it brother.
                      AMCA #3149

Comment

Thanks to you and all present and future. I am sure I am going to need much help in the months to come.

Comment

Wow, that's great! Thanks for putting up those photos, looks like a great project you're starting!
                          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks for soldering iron offer. I have a drawer full from when I did cornice work on historic buildings. Hopefully some ability goes with them.

Comment

Obviously, you know what you're doing when it comes to soldering. Maybe you could show us some tricks of the trade.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X