1970 flh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 flh

Hello I'm looking to buy a 1970 FLH what should I look out for any problems . What did these bikes. Come with from factory what did base FLH come with. I have found some listed for $8000- $10000 any help would be great.

Todd, I have an extremely nice op low mileage one that I am considering letting go, but it wont be in the 8 to 10 range, thanks, Larry

Comment

how much are you looking for it?

Comment

It will be 15K, thanks, Larry

Comment

Wow that is high that's twice what I can pick one up for.

Comment

Respect to all, but IMHO, I don't believe you will find an OP bike for 7500. Larry, I've no doubt your bike is worth the money. Randy

Comment

Thanks Randy, I know it and you know it. A restored one brought 17500.00, and mine is unrestored and looks like the day it was delivered. I don't have to sell it, but I have thought about letting a few of my bikes go, I am not getting any younger, thanks, Larry

Comment

Todd, here is just one shot of it with out the white buddy seat which I have, I just prefer riding this bike the way it is, thanks, Larry

Comment

here is a closer shot of it

Comment

Wow that is high that's twice what I can pick one up for.
                    If that is the case why are you looking for one? You should already have it....
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I didn't mean any disrespect that is a very fine machine you have there. I was just telling you what I have found for sale I'm sure the bikes I have found would not stand up to yours. Last thing I want to do is piss off people who I'm sure I will need their help some day.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                        If that is the case why are you looking for one? You should already have it....
                        I think the OP has looked at a lot of stuff on eBay etc. where stuff can trade at that level. He may be looking for an entry level machine and that may be his budget. He never said original paint or an AMCA Winners Circle machine or even a perfect preservation class bike. In the range he is looking, I think he will find a bike. He will probably find something adequate, presentable and almost certainly a bike he can have a ton of fun with. So we shouldn't assume he is looking for that 1 of 1000 machine that is going to be the centerpiece of a Shovel collection....

That said, while he may find an ok bike in the 8-10K range, there are also a lot of dogs in that price range. Many on eBay. But for someone who wants to get in the door and is willing to put some time and $$ into the bike as they go, I think he is very realistic in his request and his price range. He won't get a museum piece, but he didn't ask for one either.

That said... Larry's bike is an amazing machine. IMHO, if one wants to get into a '70 FLH and have something really first rate, this is a great bike and I don't think the price is at all out of range. One can drop $6K into a $10K "adequate" bike and still have "An adequate bike" that's now cost $16K. You can put lots of new parts time into an OK bike... and it still won't be close to what Larry has posted.

But not everyone has $15K. Not everyone wants the best of the best (or they do want it... but have to accept that sweat equity and personal restoration skills will bring their lower-cost bike up to snuff... which is great! I am all about sweat-equity...). Ultimately, asking for a '70 FLH is a big tent request and could mean a lot of different things... And doesn't necessarily mean the OP wants (or can afford) a bike of the caliber Larry is offering.

So let's encourage Todd, not denigrate his goals or his thoughts on price. If it were me... I'd find a way to scrape together the $$$ for Larry's bike or, at least, look for something in that category. But if that's not in the cards... Todd, get what you can and come back to us for help, advice and input that will help you get a bike into the shape that makes you happy.

Just my $0.02.

And, Larry, that's a gorgeous machine. Thanks for sharing. Someone will be proud to own this.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

excuse me for my ignorance. I plan on buying a 1970 flh this year I'm looking and learning I would appreciate any help you can offer me.

Comment

I totaly agree with everything that that Sirhr posted.
                            Todd, Good Luck finding a bike that meets your needs. You don't need to be excused. I hope we can help.

Comment

Todd:

Some thoughts for a '70 FLH.... Since you asked for advice and I didn't really give you any. I am sure others will have some good input. But since all we've done is pontificate... maybe I can provide some advice.

Great bikes and you will find a good one. I think you price range is really realistic. Not for a museum piece. But for an outstanding rider.

Low mileage examples are out there. Those are good ones to go after, but remember that a bike with low miles also may have issues from lack of use. If you can find one that someone else has put back in service and ridden gently, then they will absorb the cost of re-commissioning... not you.

eBay remains a great place to buy a bike. But don't bid on it. Ask seller question and open a dialogue. Go see the bike. It's a big investment, even if only at the $8-10K range (at least I call it a big investment...) and so never buy sight unseen. Things in pictures always look better than they do in person. But eBay is still the biggest source for bikes and it can put you in touch with sellers. I've bought almost all my old bikes from eBay, without ever placing a single bid.

If you have a bike that has sat a long time, careful recommissioning is always worthwhile. Freeing up rings, pre-pressurizing oil system, Cleaning out gas tank and making sure it's not full of varnish. Fork oil, new brake seals, etc... If you buy a non-runner or one that has sat, avoid the urge to 'just start it up.' It will probably start, but if rings are stuck or it's got crud in it, it will chew itself up. Careful recommissioning is always a great investment in time.

Shovels in general. As reliable as gravity. But they tend to wear out top ends every 30K miles or so. They do require maintenance. Evo's got rid of a lot of that maintenance and became HD's first 100K mile engine. The Shovels are going to take maintenance and rebuilds at much closer intervals than modern machines. If the bike you are looking at has 30K miles and has never had a top end job... you may have to budget for a top end on your new bike. There are 'no lead' conversions available, but not entirely necessary. It takes a long time for valve seats to recede, etc. so it's not always worth the 'conversion' price.

As far as riding... they are great! My first HD was an ironhead Sportster (note I did not say Shovelhead... I learned not to do that here...;-) and I currently have a 1980 FXWG that is a hoot. All the subtlety of a steel drum full of cats rolling through a rock quarry. And that's a good thing. They have all the 'agricultural' fun of a Pan or a Knuckle, but the Shovel motor is a lot more powerful and responsive. It's one of the best motors HD ever made. There are a ton of parts available to hotrod or rebuild them. You can get amazing power out of a Shovel with some minor tweaking. Lots of people put S&S carbs on... personally, I never liked them. But on an electric-start machine they are fine. OEM everything was fine, though. So no real need to change carbs and the like.

If you are looking for a really original bike (or to create one) make sure that some of the often-discarded but harder-to-find parts are there. Original pipes... spam can air cleaners, seat, etc. are there. They can be expensive to find. Some of the old fiberglass (bags and, if fitted, batwing) can be showing signs of age. Fiberglass shrinking, cracking, etc. Those can be hard to fix or at least to make look good without a lot of work. Bodywork can be expensive on 'glass.

Brakes are going to be good, but not if you are used to disks. It will stop fine, but it won't do Standies like a modern bike with dual front disks. Once you are used to it... no worries. Clutch is heavy, but reliable. Chassis is definitely a throwback to the Panhead era. Rigid engine mounts. You will feel vibration. Personally, I call that a feature. Not a canyon carver, but able to carry you down the Interstate in good comfort. You could still get sprung/pogo seats then, I think, and those are very comfortable. You could take a 1970 FLH across country and back without missing a beat. It won't ride like a new Ultra, but you'll get there. And do it in style.

Curious if only the '70 is on your list? Because the Electra-Glide between 66 up until the mid-80's are largely the same. I think they went to a fiberglass tank somewhere in the range... and I never liked those. But if you open up your year range, more bikes obviously to choose from. That said, I made sure my Pan was a '64 because it's the same age as I am. So I totally understand if it has to be a 1970 for whatever reason.

Last thing is to use original-style tires. Some of the modern tires just don't look/ride as well. MT90's I think they are called... just don't do well on older bikes. But original tires are readily available and they look/ride just right. If the bike has sat a long time, assume it will need new tires immediately. Old, hard, out-of-round tires are not only uncomfortable and unreliable, they are bordering on unsafe. Get new tires.

And before you buy, get a couple of books on Shovels. And a service manual. Read through a Clymer manual and you will learn a lot.

IMHO, Shovels are the best deal in a vintage Harley. The engines are iconic (they are older, now, than Panheads were when I bought my first HD...) and are the last of the line that extended back to the '36 EL. They are a comparative bargain and have nowhere to go, market-wise, but up. They are the perfect entre into the vintage bike world as they bridge the period between the modern evo and the Pan's that so many people covet.

Buy one! Enjoy and, as I mentioned earlier, there are lots of folks here who look forward to helping you with your new machine.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
                              X