looking for documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for documentation

So I had this k model I did judged at Oley yesterday. I took a half point each for no fender tips front and rear. I couldn't argue the point because I wasn't 100% sure. I got home and looked at everything I had and there was no suggestion of fender tips anywhere. It did get a JF so I'm not worried about it but would like to staple documentation to the sheet so it's not gigged the next time out. These are oem fenders and had no holes to suggest tips, who is right here?

1959 XLCH

Tips or no tips... that's a very pretty bike! Gorgeous restoration and well-deserved JF.

Congrats!

Cheers, Sirhr

Comment

Just for the heck of it, I did some Google searching.... and could not find a single image of a K with a fender tip. Not one. I would think that if such a thing was OEM, at least one picture of a bike with one might be locatable.

Here is something else to look at.

new harley k.jpg

All that said, I am not an authority on these by any means. And learned a long time ago to "never say never or never say always" es pecially when it comes to minutae. Just when you think you have it down... you discover that between X and Y dates, they shipped 50 bikes with fender tips to a dealer in Ulan Bator because his customers all wanted them... Who knows. The judges should and on that note, I'll stop theorizing.

But my comment still stands that you have a gorgeous bike there. It doesn't need fender tips to be a winner in my book.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

I correct myself... I had a thought that if it is a 1953 (anniversary model) it might have a fender tip with the anniversary logo or similar on it. Changed my Google searching to 1953 K model image... and this came up:

1953 k model.jpg

Clearly, there is a fender tip... but based on your tank emblem, yours is not an anniversary model... if it was, would it not have had a V logo? Based on the chrome strip, is it not a '52? Again, not an expert on these, but in comparing the pictures and the other '53 Milwaukee products I have seen, they had special tank emblems for the 50th. And maybe a fender tip.

The Google-Fu is weak today... I should have found that picture to begin with.

Cheers,

Sirhr
        Last edited by sirhrmechanic; 04-28-2013, 07:54 AM.

Comment

K parts books show p/n 59408-51 front and 59884-54 rear fender tips, for 52-56 K models. Accessory items are not usually shown in the parts book, which would indicate the tips are standard eqpt. However, my oldest K parts book is a -56, perhaps someone with an older book would verify this. Nice K model...
          VPH-D

Comment

Gigged if you do, gigged if you don't. If for no other reason that would prevent me from ever subjecting my junque to judging. I like it, I don't give a rip if you do or not.
            That is one beautiful K.
            Rich
            Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

I just looked in the 1952 and 1953 H-D Accessory catalogues and the 1953 K parts book. No K fender tips listed in any of them.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I looked at some K advertising and found no pictures showing fender tips.
                Since this is the machine's first judging, a junior first is the highest score possible. The fender tip issue can be addressed at the next judging.
                VPH-D

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll just address it next time out.
                  1959 XLCH

Comment

maybe the anniversary model was a '54 KH but I'm wrong more than right and that is a beautiful K model

Comment

Fender tips

Originally posted by murph View Post
                      so i had this k model i did judged at oley yesterday. I took a half point each for no fender tips front and rear. I couldn't argue the point because i wasn't 100% sure. I got home and looked at everything i had and there was no suggestion of fender tips anywhere. It did get a jf so i'm not worried about it but would like to staple documentation to the sheet so it's not gigged the next time out. These are oem fenders and had no holes to suggest tips, who is right here?

i looked up the tips in the 52-56 k model parts catalog it shows both front & rear front #59408-51 & rear #59884-54 both are for 52-56 & shows front & rear fender tip kit #59399-54 54-56 hope this helps you out. Email me and i can send a scan of the page. -rick

Comment

No K came standard with fender tips. They were only offered as an add on accessory. They were not part of the Deluxe group and don't appear in the factory motorcycle order forms as an extra cost option. They were sold over the counter to owners who chose to add them. There is a factory '54 order form for sale on eBay right now...
                        VPHD
                        All parts appearing in the parts book were not standard equipment, many accessory items are listed, such as crash bars, spotlights, fender lights, mirrors, etc. If not shown in the sales order forms as part of a specific package they were just dealer or owner add-ons.
                        Robbie
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

All that said, I am not an authority on these by any means. And learned a long time ago to "never say never or never say always" es pecially when it comes to minutae. Just when you think you have it down... you discover that between X and Y dates, they shipped 50 bikes with fender tips to a dealer in Ulan Bator because his customers all wanted them... Who knows. The judges should and on that note, I'll stop theorizing.
                          sirhrmechanic
                          Unless you are trying to restore a bike from a specific and documented special group, such as a Motor Maid bike, or a specific police bike, no part ordered by a dealer on a special order is considered correct for any other bike.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The -59 parts book says these tips are for all K's and XL/XLH through 59. The HD archives book shows a 52 K and a 57 XL with no tips. These were accessories. I would submit these photos and an appeal to Don D, the Chief Judge and get your points back. I am a Field Judge and have processes lots of appeals and have appealed myself. The system works. Dave

Comment

PS, the clutch cable oiler did not appear till 55

Comment

Working...
                              X