Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pewter Run 2012 -- Gets better every year!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pewter Run 2012 -- Gets better every year!!!

The 2012 Pewter Run is over and despite the rain (light and misting with occasional showers), almost every registrant showed up and we had an awesome run! 48 miles for the full course with a medium and short course for the oldest bikes.

A fantastic array of machines showed up including 3 (maybe 4) Brough Superiors... I only saw 3, but heard there were four. Earliest bike was 1913.

Lots of AMCA members who not only didn't 'hide em' but who got 'em wet and muddy and had a great time.

Our class (Post vintage) was probably the toughest competition for the winning honors. The Third, Second and First place finishers were 48, 35 and 9 seconds off a perfect time. I was second in class with 35 seconds off a perfect time.

I got the Sportsman Award, in part for best costume. But I didn't have the heart to tell them that I wasn't wearing a costume. This is how I dress for riding. Thanks guys...

In addition to the Broughs was a stunning Vincent and a gorgeous Norton International. And a couple of Chiefs that I covet... In fact, I would have happily ridden home on some or all of the bikes attending! Special kudos to an awesome little barn find Sport Scout that just ran like a top and made it's longest ride since, probably, the 1960's. And did it in the wet. What a treasure of a machine.

I have pictures and I'll post more shortly. And you can visit pewterrun.com and they will have a ton of pictures posted!

Great seeing all my AMCA friends there and putting some faces with handles! See you next year for sure.

IMG_0246.jpg
    My EL and a gorgeous 45 Chief that the owner (AMCA member) rode to the Run

IMG_0247.jpg
    Flathead 80 with some great period accessories -- including spoke lights that illuminate via brushes on the hub

IMG_0271.jpg
    Dan Margolian, Yankee Chapter starting off on his outstanding '26 JD

IMG_0278.jpg
    Me getting back just 35 seconds off perfect time. Winner in our class was just 9 seconds off perfect. Way to go!!!

IMG_0249.jpg
    Dan Margolian's JD. What a beautiful machine and sounds as good as it looks.

Cheers,

Sirhr

IMG_0247.jpg
    This unrestored 80 has some amazing accessories including a Chicago Cycle Supply fender skirt and illuminated wheel spinners that power through brushes. Amazing machine. Ran like a sewing machine.

IMG_0255.jpg
    Morning line up. Of all the registrations, only a tiny handful didn't make it because of the rain... This is the toughest bunch of Pewter Run riders ever ;-)

IMG_0263.jpg
    Norton Dominator was ridden by a lady from Virgiana. She won the long distance award.

IMG_0267.jpg
    Vincent, Flathead and, I think, the barn find Sport Scout 101 on its first ride since the 1960's.

IMG_0271.jpg
    Dan Margolian on his JD; I think the early Norton that won its class; Excelsior (I think) and one of the Broughs. I can't make out this photo too well, so apologize for errors... Starting line!

Cheers and hope you enjoy. For those who were there with cameras... more photos!!!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybCKz...ature=youtu.be

YouTube video of the EL starting off at the beginning of the Pewter Run. Not a bad sounding 61"!

Cheers,

Sirhr
      Last edited by sirhrmechanic; 09-30-2012, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Sounds OK but I really need more than 12 seconds...!
        Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

I told that to the cinematographer... due to the family nature of this site, I will not repeat her response.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

LOL, I just hate it when they get personal in public!
            Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

I always say that rain is "part of the experience"... Great stuff Sirhr!!!!
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

I know Phillie took a ton of great pictures. Hope he posts some here!

Comment

http://rememberwhenphotography.smugm...8726&k=jCsKV9x

Phillie pictures from the Pewter Run. Awesome. Great photographer and pictures!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Thanks for the link!!! Those are great pictures!!!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks c.o. I was one of the wimps that left my bike home...lol I still went to support the event with my camera though!!

Comment

Originally posted by phillie View Post
                        Thanks c.o. I was one of the wimps that left my bike home...lol I still went to support the event with my camera though!!
                        Well... at least you brought your camera! Thanks again!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

I've been watching this run for a few years and have brought it up here on this forum and others a few times and hope to make it one day. But I see it as a run similar to the Brighton run in England and think it would be great for a lot more pre 20 bikes to run. Being over shadowed by the cannonball run where teens and twenty bikes are running thousands of miles it is just not to impressive for later model bikes from say the 40's up to run a hundred miles. I'm taking my VL on a 2 hundred mile camping trip this weekend to a Panhead party that's on it's 24th year, hell I figure someone should ride an old bike up there. I would love to see this run grow into a huge early bike run and I'm glad the dates were moved as to not conflict with the Davenport meet. Hopefully, I will be able to make it next year, thanks.
                          Louie
                          FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                          Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                          YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Outtasight.....
                            Mark Evans
                            Gloucester, Mass.

Comment

Originally posted by LouieMCman View Post
                              I've been watching this run for a few years and have brought it up here on this forum and others a few times and hope to make it one day. But I see it as a run similar to the Brighton run in England and think it would be great for a lot more pre 20 bikes to run. Being over shadowed by the cannonball run where teens and twenty bikes are running thousands of miles it is just not to impressive for later model bikes from say the 40's up to run a hundred miles. I'm taking my VL on a 2 hundred mile camping trip this weekend to a Panhead party that's on it's 24th year, hell I figure someone should ride an old bike up there. I would love to see this run grow into a huge early bike run and I'm glad the dates were moved as to not conflict with the Davenport meet. Hopefully, I will be able to make it next year, thanks.
                              Louie:

Great event for all the reasons you cite. And agree that a 50 mile run is not that stressful for the 1930's bikes.

That said, the more difficult/challenging/time consuming you make an event, the fewer people can do it or take the time. The Pewter Run has managed to strike a great balance where lots of busy people can bring bikes out and show them, ride them and have a ball doing it. Every year, it gets bigger, more widely known and more popular.

The fact that this year people brought their bikes (including some high dollar Brough and Vincent machines... as well as leather belt-drive bikes, etc) out in the rain... tells me that they have the right formula... at least for The Pewter Run!

I love your thought of a London-to-Brighton style run for really early MC's. And I think there is a Flavor of that in the PR... but London to Brighton has become a high-dollar, high-prestige, major production that has priced a lot of enthusiasts out of the market. Bit like playing at Pebble Beach when it comes to cars. The PR has really done well being a low-pressure, fun, accessible and enjoyable event with no pretentions. Riders with old iron... riding. I think it serves that purpose well. And the faithful definitely attend. Rain or shine.

Hoping that next year, it's even bigger. And with guys like you (Louie) both looking forward to it and hopefully promoting it, the event can only get bigger and better. I just hope it stays fun and low pressure. Because that's what differentiates it from a lot of the events these days where competition trumps fun.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
                              X