Flex seat for 1981 FLTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex seat for 1981 FLTC

Does anyone know if there is a parts diagram for this? Whats the difference bewteen the model for 77-79 and the later 80 part numbers?

Just wondering if they made that much of a difference?

Thanks

I don't have a parts book in front of me but I can tell you that the '77-'79 frame was totally different than the new for '80 frame with the rubber mounted engine/trans set-up. I suspect that is the reason for the different numbers. Note the "T" in the model name, that designates rubber mount frame!
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

According to my parts book the -80 part numbers were only used on the 1981 and later model seats.`

Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

The 77-79 models still used the seat post, 80 models had no provision for a seat post so the spring assembly is different. Ugliest contraption ever, but some people found them to be comfortable.
        Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Thanks everyone so the early model would not work on the 1981... Thanks again

Comment

Anyone know what years after 1980 these where used Thanks.

Comment

Anyone know what the difference bewteen a Flex seat assembly for a 81 FLH and a 81 FLT was? Will the 81 FLH fit the FLT properly? Thanks

Comment

I have a late model comfort flex spring assembly and back rest with pad in black if your interested for 125. plus shipping
                Moose
                aka Glenn

Comment

I just put one of these seats on a 2009 Police bike for a friend of mine. He wants to keep the 'pogo' type suspended seat on the bike, but his wife wants to ride as well. It was actually a super easy conversion.

We used the original air bag and seat T, then welded on the seat bracket with some strengthening gussets. Set the angles and actually moved the seat 1 inch forward, which made a more comfortable riding position for the owner.

The seat itself is a NOS harley seat from eBay. It's perfect and was inexpensive.

He loves the seat... says it's very, very comfortable.

klaus harley `.jpg

Below is what I call my new/old bike. 2006 Springer Classic. For when I want electric start and fuel injection. It has a sprung (pneumatic cartridge, actually) seat, WL windshield w. black canvas, '41 - 46 rocketfin muffler, and lots of little 'old' parts to complete the theme. Rides like a dream.

new old bike.jpg

Old seats are great on new bikes as well as on old ones. They totally transform the looks and the ride.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

My Father actually ran one (early model) on his '65 Panhead for a little while. Same reason as above. It was more comfortable for the passenger. Once she stopped riding he put the deluxe buddy seat back on with the plunger. He did drill some holes in the rear fender to mount it He actually liked the comfort flex seats. First one was on a 78 special edition.

I still have it. Nice white one. I need to get it out on Ebay along with some other seats that are taking up space.
                    Last edited by rbenash; 05-06-2011, 05:45 PM.
                    Ray
                    AMCA #7140

Comment

any pics of this seat?

Comment

Originally posted by freebird914 View Post
                        any pics of this seat?
                        If you mean my seat, sure I'll post some pictures out tomorrw. Won't be until later in the afternoon though EST. 99% certain it's a 77-80 version since he never ran any FLH's newer than that.
                        Ray
                        AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by rbenash View Post
                          If you mean my seat, sure I'll post some pictures out tomorrw. Won't be until later in the afternoon though EST. 99% certain it's a 77-80 version since he never ran any FLH's newer than that.
                          That would be great just want to see the early set up also. Though it will not fit a 81 FLTC. As like to see different stuff...

Comment

Here you go - well not that nice as far as conditon as I remembered. But it is complete. It still has the clevis to attache to the plunger on the pogo style bikes. Date looks like 1976

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/rbenash/

If someone is in the Philadelphia area and wants this seat let me know. Probably going to put it up on Craigs list if I don't hear back. Might as well get rid of it, no plans for it.
                            Ray
                            AMCA #7140

Comment

THanks that was great if you don't mind I may copy pics to my album for reference.

Comment

Working...
                              X