Chief problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief problems

I've been having problems with my Chief this week. It would start and run as normal but I couldn't get much further than a 1/4 mile before it would lurch, hesitate, and finally quit. I suspected it was a condenser, so I changed it out but the problem remained. I tried 2 more condensers thinking they were bad. . . They were good. Next; I replaced the coil, and had the same problem. Fortunately, I noticed a separation in the solder joint at the "Y" gas line connection. I re-soldered the joint and voila, we're back in business. Obviously it's like having a hole in a straw but it sure had all of the symptoms of an electrical problem.

After I got it fixed, I went for a nice long ride. I stopped at the post office and as I was leaving, an older woman parked next to my bike, complimented it, and then asked the most intellegent motorcycle question I've ever been asked by a stranger. She wanted to know if it was a real Indian.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

I wanted to put something in the Indian Chief catagory because you don't see much activity here. I guess if it ain't about knuckleheads, it ain't $#!t. I know many people in this club and I know a lot of them are very knowledgeable about motorcycles other than knuckleheads. AMCA members need to support this forum and they need to contribute their knowledge and experience. You can talk all you want about getting new, and younger members involved but you will not get that done by pandering to one make and one model of motorcycle. Let's broaden our horizons and show the casual forum surfer what we know about old motorcycles.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Knucklehead owners usually don't know much about Indians. I guess it would be up to the members of the Indian community to find something of interest to post. Offhand all I can think of is that those Indians are such fine machines that the owners never have problems thus no need to post.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Yep, thats it Chris :-). Your right Eric, sure not much action on the Indian side of things on our forum anyway. Though we can count on a couple guys speaking up, Red Fred for certain. I'am surprised at how few in our chapter spend time on the AMCA site, very few really - I don't know why that is? I as alot of you, like checking in regular to see what's going on. At the meets and runs I have attended, Indians have been well represented in numbers. We seem far less active on line,or maybe everybody is over at Virtual Indian:-)

Comment

I rarely visited the AMCA Forum, but I have lately discovered the "What's new" button. That feature sure streamlines things. As for Indian content, I haunt the Virtual Indian, where most of the chatter seems to be about the Club lately!
          I try not to be glued to the screen, but I do find I have more time for it during my almost 2 years of un-employment. I also find that I'm getting less & less accomplished by being on the screen.
          That's it, I gotta go now.
          RF.

Comment

Eric, I have to agree with your sentiments. I'd be b.s.ing if I said that if a knuckle showed up in my shop that I wouldn't be happy about it. Having said that there many other brands to talk about. I found your comments regarding your Chief's behaviour interesting and thanks for sharing it. As for participation on this forum, I recall some years back now running into AdminGuy at a rally. He asked me if I ever visited the AMCA forum. My reaction was typical non computer guy with a "what for?" He mentioned that it was a great place to talk old bikes and there were some great people particpating. I guess it took me a couple seasons to finally give it a try. If I remember right he had sent a few e-mails telling me to sign up. When I finally did get going I discovered a wonderland of information and some really great people. AdminGuy was right!!! I have made an attempt privately to try and recruit a few very knowledgeable folks in the Indian world but so far I haven't had much luck. I guess some folks just aren't inclined to type on the computer. It's a pity though as they are missing out and so are we. Thanks for taking the initiative to try and get a dialogue going. This forum has been rather sad up until the last couple of days. I think we are all still reeling from the ranting and raving and politics. It's nice to see a focus on motorcycles appearing again.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              show the casual forum surfer what we know about old motorcycles.
              Yes, I think that's a good thing. I, for one, like to know about the history of early motorcycle manufacturing, sales, racing, famous rides, etc. The side car topic is really good along these lines by the way....

From what I know, for example, HD and Indian were simply one of many "players" with lots of other manufacturer's vying for sales in the early years. Where did they go? I think Indian and HD were very close in sales prior to WWII and this forum does have a "lean" towards HD if you count the number of postings (I think). That's not bad, by the way, but if forum postings on other brands of bikes were just as numerous it would be so much for the better.

So, the internet, or World Wide Web, is just incomprehensible in how extensive it is, I don't think we can fully understand how many people get exposed to something like this forum. So if folks can "surf" here and find lots of cool information, stories, photos, etc.... it can't hurt.

it's my 2 cents.
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Hi Eric,
                Not sure why Indian participation is low, much the same on other sites tho, as for the VI list i`ve asked questions there getting no answer only to see another ask the same and get replys! (maybe a timezone/shuffle down list thing?)
                Latest one was why has my 40 front drum got a R/H thread for the bearing nut/ok to use?
                nothing till Red Fred posted similar subject & i inadvertently got my answers ( thanks fred)

Agree a newby coming on here, maybe a tad dissapointed when looking for Indian material, perhaps we can remedy that?

Comment

Being one of the newbies, I've found that all you have to do is ask. It might take a day or two before you get a reply but my experience has been nothing but positive. Mr. Beard in particular was very helpful and generous with info on Indians. Also thanks to Mr. Slocombe for his help with the 34VD.

Comment

There are other kinds of bikes besides Indians?
                    Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                    1947 Indian Chief

Comment

There are other kinds of bikes besides Indians?
                      Sure there are, just about anything that runs!
                      Robbie
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I don't know Robbie, I went on a ride this summer that included a '47 Chief. That bike ran like a scalded cat when the guy turned on the wick. This guy had Harleys too but none of them ran.....
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                        X