80 compensator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 compensator question

I am trying to align the drive and clutch sprockets on my Indian. Even with all the shims removed, the clutch sprocket is further out than the engine sprocket. Is it acceptable to put a larger thrust washer behind the compensator quill to move the drive sprocket out?

I understand that in rare cases trimming the back of the clutch basket shaft is needed.

I think this is where a long running issue with gen drive failure is comming from and would like to get it squared away. Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill
    The thrust washer behind the sprocket only controls end play. Have you "lined" up the trans case and engine case flats, gasket surfaces? Are the rods centered? You could move the flywheels over by fattening one thrust washer and thinnning the opposite side.You could also move the rods over between the flywheels to help accomplish this.
    Occasionally, and I do a bunch of Chief engines, I have to shim the left transmission bearing into the case .010" to .040".
    Shims are available either from guys that do car differentials or the old style orange Dorman drawers in the older auto parts stores.
    I have a good sheet on this if you want some tips.
    Bob Courboin
    Beard Machine

Comment

Hi Bob, thanks for the response and the heads up about the thrust washer. The end play at the crankpin is .007 which I think is fine. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I believe they call for .005-.010. I used a 24" Starrett ruler and my engine and transmission case alignment is dead on. The shims behind the bearing seems like a great idea. The rods appear to be centered properly and I am comfortable that the bottom end is correct. It was done by someone well known for his Indian expertise. I would like to see this sheet of tips you have. Please let me know how I can get a hold of one. Thanks again, Bill
      Last edited by Bills37; 11-09-2010, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bob, I got your e-mail. Lots of great info. It shed a lot of light on the subject.

Comment

Bob, your little sheet of tips is already paying off. I checked my mainshaft and sure enough it's bent .020. Looked like a wet noodle wobbling between centers.

Comment

Working...
          X