small batteries in the shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small batteries in the shell

Fun day yesterday. On my way to Rhinebeck, 90 miles from home, 50 miles from Rhinebeck. Alone on my 46 Chief, HO generator and perfect regulator. Rt 208 in Maybrook at 55 MPH the friggin battery exploded. Sounded like a shotgun blast, though I lost a cylinder, it was loud!
    Pulled over, turned it off and there was almost nothing there. The frog was still sitting on what was left of the black shell, but the whole left side was gone. The Powersonic battery and the shell were in tiny pieces.
    Since I had the lights on, NY law, blew the bulbs too. Some kid (?) came by on a Shovelhead and asked if I was OK, I told him I didn't know. Well, 10 minutes later he came back in a Jeep with a low trailer and took me back to his auto repair shop 2 miles away. His boss, ED, ordered all the 6 volt batteries that AutoZone had, which was 1, a VW battery. They gave me wire, duct tape test light and everything I needed to strap that 40 pound battery to the luggage rack. Made it to Rhinebeck on the crappiest looking Chief there, but made it.
    These guys were the nicest guys I ever met, saved my behind, and wouldn't take a dime.
    Of course, after a couple hours at the Meet, I turned for home, 140 miles. Almost made it, 5 miles away I had to hit a Lowes for 3 flashlights, taped 2 to the fork and 1 on the rack. It was pitch black! Then I saw the battery acid from the non-sealed VW batter all over the fender from bouncing around. Not fun!
    Does anyone make a real, lead acid battery for Indians now?
    Also, bear with me, ever see an old VW battery? THey used 2 6 volt batteries in series to give 12 volts. Now these new Harley 12 volt batteries, can I take the top off one and break that middle connector, put it in parallel, and have 2 6 volt batteries in 1 shell? Any reason this won't/can't work?
    Thanks, no more tiny batteries for me.
    Bob Courboin,Beard Machine.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Bob. Shame you can't get the original batteries rebuilt. I'm dating myself here but back in the mid seventies when I got my first Indian we could take our batteries down to R & R Battery in Aleexandria Va. and they would cut the sealant out of the top and clean it out. Cut new lead plates to size and reseal the top. They would do it while you waited if you had the time.

Comment

batteries

I remember them. Actually about 12 years ago there was a guy from Phily that came to Harmony and did it also. He even repaired cracked cases.
      Dennis Craig rebuilt one about 10 years ago and said he'd never do another. Jim from Ohio sold a rebuild kit for the Wisco's and Dennis gave me one. I may give it a try, that having battery acid allover me and the Chief is el sucko!
      But, worth it. Yesterday was the most perfect day for a 300 miler on my Chief. I was the happiest guy in the world when I forgot about the big battery on my fender.

Comment

life's been so much better with a 12-volt!
        Burned out a generator on the way to Farmington one year, found parts at the meet, made it 30 miles before it smoked. Buddy and I rigged jumper wires between us and made it home. Ran a VW Bosch and HD batt after that, but still had to mind the ammeter and the battery. Pretty much worry-free with 12-volt alternator and gel batt.

Comment

12 volt

Thanks, I know what you're saying, but at what point does it not still be an Indian? That's my problem, I want to ride what they rode 60 years ago. I have the orig 6 Volt Auto-Lite oil filled coil that I love too. I'm not going to lose all the cool stuff cause someone can't make a decent battery.
          Bob

Comment

http://www.splitdorfreg.com/Blancard/revolting.html
            i saw this yesterday while looking for splitdorf stuff hack up a 12v.
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

the 12-6 conversion

Thanks, that's my plan! But today, I took an old Wisco battery apart. It was the dirtiest job I ever did. All the stories about lead toxicity and all. well there was lead all over the place. I did it outside and still a mess. Took a shower and washed the clothes, not pretty,
              I have a Jim Cook rebuild kit, so for now I'm going to attempt a rebuild using a Indian Battery Co case and new guts.
              Thanks again
              Bob Courboin

Comment

I followed Lee Standleys advice - put a voltage regulator off a vw - 6 volt and alterd the gen. So that you have a 3 brush gen with voltage regulation. Been running it about 20 years. Though I had trouble about 6 years ago, trying to find another 6 volt regulator.
                Johnny Eagles does a neat set up too, he rigs the generator to charge at half rate and leaves it there. With the flipp of a switch, it goes to full charge if needed. Both systems keep you from over charging you bat. Good luck with yours.

Comment

India battery, any OK?

Is anyone running one of the real lead acid batteries from India and liking it? If I buy 2, possible one would be fine? 3? I'm in a battery nightmare!!!!

Comment

small batteries in the shell

I have had good luck with Jim Cook's battery rebuild kits. My first one I did around 1985 and got 7 years from it. The second one lasted about 5 years. I am now into my 3rd year for the next one. I have 2 more kits left for my future rebuilds. I am sure that plates could be removed from a new automotive battery and cut down to fit the Indian battery cases. When I run out of Jim's kits I will have to try that. Tom Wilcock AMCA # 381

Comment

battery

Thanks Tom, That's kind what I'm doing. I have 6 batteries cut apart now. A Powersonic, a 12 V Jap battery, a Wisco, a Ind Bat Co, and 2 auto. I think I'll get one of those tractor 12 V batteries, they come up to crazy CCA's, must be real good. And then cut the plates to fit.
                      It's just a shame that for 70 friggin years there wasn't a battery problem. No other vehicle has a battery problem and here in 2010 we can't buy a good battery? We can buy copper head gaskets, forged pistons, 12V generators and we can't get a battery??????? We should not have to do this disgusting, polluting crap.
                      I'm also on everyone at Tedd's to straighten this out.

Comment

Originally posted by cdf6333 View Post
                        Thanks Tom, That's kind what I'm doing. I have 6 batteries cut apart now. A Powersonic, a 12 V Jap battery, a Wisco, a Ind Bat Co, and 2 auto. I think I'll get one of those tractor 12 V batteries, they come up to crazy CCA's, must be real good. And then cut the plates to fit.
                        It's just a shame that for 70 friggin years there wasn't a battery problem. No other vehicle has a battery problem and here in 2010 we can't buy a good battery? We can buy copper head gaskets, forged pistons, 12V generators and we can't get a battery??????? We should not have to do this disgusting, polluting crap.
                        Bob
                        here is what I did with the India battery. before putting acid in, mix up 2 part epoxy force it down around where the posts come out of the case, when it is set cover this with gylptal. let dry before adding acid, do not overfill the acid.
                        I have not had this setup leak and the battery lasts(as long as you don't screw up like I did and let the acid get too low)
                        Kevin Valentine 13
                        EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Originally posted by cdf6333 View Post
                          Bob,

Here`s my 12 Volts on Indian electrical systems:

First, Powersonic batteries, TC regulators, & cutout relays do not work together. Main reason is, no voltage regulation. The "battery in a shell" setup has issues too. Battery capacity is about 1/3 of the original Indian battery. Then you must take the battery out to maintain the electrolyte level. The "made in India" batteries have quality control issues.

The best solution I`ve come up with, is go 12Volts. Convert your generator to 12v, 2 brush style. Add an electronic regulator, & use a "Big Boar Mini" 12V AGM battery. 180CCA (available at J&P Cycles) Change the bulbs over to 12V, along with the coil & "Problem solved" Horn is a lot louder too.

I`ve been running 12V since 1987 in my 351, this particular battery is on season 5 with absolutely no maintenance required. I take the cover off every winter for a visual inspection, & go down the road. 12V bulbs are way easier to locate too, another 12V benefit. if you want to use a 6V coil, a 60`s-70`s Mopar coil resistor mounted between the tanks should solve that issue.

IndianFrank

Indian Generator Restoration

Comment

Frank,

I'm thinking of converting my 46 chief to 12 volt. I would like to convert my existing autolite and hear that's what your good at. Can you help me get this going.

Thanks Peter

Comment

Phil,
                              Sorry for the slow response. I can convert your Autolite generator & cutout, or TC regulator to 12V with electronic regulation, no problem.
                              For you die hard 6V fanatics, I can do that too. Finally found a lithium Ion battery that fits inside an Indian battery shell, weighs 1.2 lbs, 18 amp hours. No acid to corrode anything. Must be used with an electronic regulator though.
                              You can find me here: indianfrank@yahoo.com

IndianFrank
                              Indian Generator Restoration

Comment

Working...
                              X