67 FLH, Front end wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 67 FLH, Front end wobble

My 67 FLH has a wobble in the front end. It starts around 28-30 MPH, and goes away at 40-42. Wheels are checked and found to be true. Swapped front to rear, rear to front. What is the next thing to check?

Seat post bushing.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

A lot of variables. If it is at one speed onl6y, could be the style of tire. Are they repros of the old oem style?. I have had that problem before, which caused a low speed wobble.
      Mike

Comment

wheel bearings are touchy on 67-72. one bearing is in the wheel hub and the other side is in the brake drum on those years. neck bearings to loose or too tight will cause it too
        Last edited by flat-happy; 09-20-2009, 12:09 AM.

Comment

frontend wobble

I have had the same thing happen to me on a full dresser and it was a under inflated tire but you say you swaped out the front and rear could be a cracked in your frame they seem to break under the tranny and on the down tube below the battery box on the primary side,I would also check the neck bearings.. good luck

Comment

Have you checked the adjustment on the triple trees?? thats what it sounds like to me

Comment

Re: 67 FLH front end wobble

Thanks to all who made suggestions. I will start by replacing the seat post bushing, it does have some side to side play, that my 51 FL does not. Will pass on the results.

Comment

Aren't there two seat post bushings on a '67?

Comment

67 FLH front end wobble

I think that I did read somewhere that there are two (2) seat post bushings, thanks

Comment

Now, I know Chris personally, and I trust everything he says --- (usually --- ) But I think this is the first time I've heard sloppy seat post bushings as causing a wheel wobble. My first suspect is always the front tire, if it's developed any weird wear patterns. Then you have to consider steering head bearings and the tension on them. A fall-away test will determine that, but any cables -- such as front brake cable-- should be disconnected so as to not interfere. Then there's wheel bearings, both front and rear, and not to forget rear wheel alignment. A windshield will aggravate a wobble, also.

Comment

Check the spokes before you start tearing into things. It's easy to check and Ive seen loose spokes cause quite a wobble.
                      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

wobble...

Maybe the luggage rack bolts are on too tight? (A little levity....sorry)
                        Life's short.....Ride More !!!!!
                        47 Chief,67 FLH,69 XLH, 2009 FLHTP, 66 C-100 Honda

Comment

67 FLH front end wobble

I have tightend the stem nut, removed the solo seat and drove with a frame mounted seat, still have the wobble. So I think that eliminates the seat post bushings, and the neck bearings. Unless there is something I am missing. Anybody have any thoughts? Tires, have 95% tread remaining, they are Yokahama brand, my tire guy said that they are old remakes, maybe twenty years or more. On the sidewall it says " H.D.S. Classic " size is MT90-16. The tread patteren is similar to the old Goodyear Speed Grip. Someone mentioned wheel bearings, I have swapped wheels front to back, so I would think that at least eliminates the bearings in the hubs. That leaves the bearing in the front brake hub. What would I check for on the front drum and bearing?

Comment

What tire pressure are you running?
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

20 PSI Front
                              24 PSI Rear as per my manual

Comment

Working...
                              X