Barn find 1915 or 1916 HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn find 1915 or 1916 HD

Recent acquistion seems to be a late 1915 or early 16 HD. Has some parts that are supposedly last used in 1915 and some that were not supposedly used until 1916.

Any ideas - this is all I have to it. Jerry

awsome score jerry,wow my heart wouldve been pounding like a jack hammer
    if i stumbled across somthing like that if it could only talk eh!

Comment

I'm doing a 16 J myself. What you have is all, pretty much 1916. The 15 and 16 frames were similar but that's no doubt a '16. You have a lot of frame work to do at the top rear fender mount. 1916 had a very unusual frame configuration that made the rear fender a one year only item. My frame was a real mess there as well. In looking at the pictures again, your front fork may be pre 16. The shadow in the picture makes it hard to see. Let me know if I can help you with anything. You have a great project there and one that is well worth doing.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Eric I appreciate the offer but I have so many projects that are more complete that I will probably trade or sell this. I wished I had the time but don't feel that I do. I had a good couple of days however - yesterday I bought a bought a very nice complete HX 95 carburator with intake manifold on a farm estate auction and today this. It seems that the carb is of the same vintage but came from a totally different source.

Jerry

Comment

Great score indeed Jerry! I noticed this thread a little earlier and thought to myself Eric would be the man to ask. I check back and lo and behold there's an answer.........

Here's a couple shots of '16's.......the first one I believe is Fred Lange's machine.

Here's a '15 although not the best picture....

Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
            I'm doing a 16 J myself. What you have is all, pretty much 1916. The 15 and 16 frames were similar but that's no doubt a '16. You have a lot of frame work to do at the top rear fender mount. 1916 had a very unusual frame configuration that made the rear fender a one year only item. My frame was a real mess there as well. In looking at the pictures again, your front fork may be pre 16. The shadow in the picture makes it hard to see. Let me know if I can help you with anything. You have a great project there and one that is well worth doing.
            hi eric I used a guy maned marty ( lives in N.J.) to repair my 1916 frame he's teh best frame guy I have used so far i have his number some where let me know if you would like it

Comment

1916 hd

jerry if you look at the bottom of the gas tank and it has cast brass mounting tabs you have a 1916 gas tanks the frame look's right as well as the clutch pedal ,I see a lot of paper on the parts are you selling the frame and parts if so I could use the rear stand and would be interested in the whole deal .will be at the davenport meet my spaces are M20-21 thanks billy

Comment

Hey, I have a 16 motor and tranyy for it. Maybe we could build a bike on hear. Buy some fenders and tanks and your are rolling. I too would be intrested in this bike. Terry Marsh 541-882-2613 Row Z space 9 at Davenport

Comment

hello Jerry , Cory etc , My earliest Harley only goes back to 1918 (ex WD and I know the fork and gaurd are 1920) you have a good find , hope it makes the road one day !! Anyway , I have a question , how do you get large pictures on here , I can only do thumbnails ?? Many thanks , happy riding , Ken
                  Ken

Comment

Looks like I can't even do thumbnails !!! trying again , Ken
                    Attached Files
                    Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Lee View Post
                      Anyway , I have a question , how do you get large pictures on here , I can only do thumbnails ?? Ken
                      You need to put the pic's some were like photobucket
                      and after you have them uploaded to there you will see
                      for each pic then you need to copy what is in the box next to IMG CODE and paste it in to your post .
                      Jeff Bowles
                      Arkansas
                      Membership # 14023
                      1957 Sportster

Comment

Many thanks , I will practice within the next few days , got to go out now and wear out some rubber on my '16 Ex , Ken
                        Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Lee View Post
                          Many thanks , I will practice within the next few days , got to go out now and wear out some rubber on my '16 Ex , Ken
                          Ken, so you have an 1916 Excelsior? I have a16 Ex as well. Maybe you could practice your large photo posting efforts with a picture of the 16.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Hello exeric , I'll try but in the mean time you can see it on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/excelsior_big_x/ in the photo's , also there is my '12 model 4B , have patience , I'm ok on old bikes but this modern stuff takes brains !!! Ken
                            PS You could always put a picture of your '16 on here or on the Excelsior site or both , be nice to see it
                            PPS just realised you have to be a member to see the photo's so will do my best to put on here or you could join , Ken
                            Last edited by Ken Lee; 08-24-2009, 05:41 PM. Reason: just added a PPS
                            Ken

Comment

1916 Excelsior

Hope this works , Ken
                              Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X