Quick education in Kick Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick education in Kick Starting

WOW am I gun-shy of kickstarting this this now. It only took two days to do some significant damage to my leg, my knee and my ankle.

Lesson one: Don't straddle the seat when kick starting. You'll end up with a big bruise on the inside of your leg. Put knee in the saddle or keep both legs on the kick side of the bike.

Lesson two: If you use the ball of your foot or the arch, when it backfires it will turn your leg inside out and definitely put some incredible stress on your knee.

Lesson three: If you use your heel to kick start it and it backfires it feels like someone hit the bottom of your heel with a sledge hammer. My ankle is swollen like a balloon right now.

Trying to follow the book procedures to the letter: For cold start: choke, kick, kick, kick, ignition on, little bit of choke, kick and turn throttle. Sometimes it fires up immediately. It gets ugly quickly if it doesn't.

Most times it backfires and kicks me off of it.

I know it is impossible to diagnose from afar, but anyone have any advice for me? Sound too wet, too dry, too advanced, too retarded (the engine, not me), too much throttle?

Plugs out and they look completely dry. Any more than one click of choke when we go to start it and it doesn't even sputter. It's as if I have the ignition off.

It runs GREAT once we get it running. Low speed needle and high speed set

74", large heads, M-74 linkert.

Thanks,
    Jim

Sounds like your compression is good! Sorry to hear you took such a beating so far! I don't know if this helps any but this is how I start my flathead. Choke closed, throttle on and two kicks. Then I open the choke two to three notches, key on and and one good kick and it fires every time! That's with timing fully advanced. Of course like I said that's my little flattie, but a buddy of mine with a '47 Knuck uses the same procedure and it works for him too. I should note he does have to put a little more effort into the kicking procedure with that big '74 OHV! I also understand it that some bikes like to have the spark retarded slightly on the ignition kick. That's my attempt at a suggestion, I'm sure someone will stumble along with just the right combo for you! Good Luck!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

I had the same experience until someone suggested rolling off the spark.

Comment

The first thing I do is fully retard the spark, then it's pretty much the same as c.o., except I learned a long time ago to NEVER have the choke on with the ignition on. Just about burned my pan to the ground that way with a backfire, and a friend's knuck DID burn to the ground that way.
        Just so certain people don't think I'm blowing smoke, I'm talking about 35 years starting the same motorcycle.

Comment

must be a harley your trying to start ................hence the "kick kick kick choke kick kick gasp!choke kick kick kick " you described
          1946 chief 1948 chief 1948 wl 1950wl 1941ulwith sidecar 47 chief(in the works)65bsa

Comment

To help save your knee, always kick it like ya mean it and keep the kicker at bottom dead center till you know if it's going to catch or not. When the arm is all the way down the starter clutch disengages and if it back fires it wont throw you off or destroy your knee. Also remember if it pops in the carb when it misfires it needs more choke, if it pops in the pipes it's on the verge of being flooded.
            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

You have to retard the spark during starting. They'll kick back if you don't. As for starting positon, that's up to the rider (starter). I have a good friend that has two H-D's and 3 Chiefs, a 36 four, a 741, and a 42 sport scout and he starts them all straddling the seat with the kick stand up. He's also 76 years old. I don't mean to make you feel bad because I've been where you are. My '51FL was a bear when I first put the motor together. For what ever reason, it got better as it got worn-in and I learned what it wanted. That sounds rudimentary but man and machine have to come to an understanding.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Kick Starting

Everybody's got thier own method of starting. I always straddle the seat, side stand down,
                left foot on the ground. Like Brian said, kick all the way through and hold the kicker down for a few seconds. Also, always keep my leg bent sleightly, never streight leg. If it kicks back, it won't hurt you. I realize you have to have a long inseam to do this.....Good Luck ...Rod

Comment

No kiddin' about the inseam Rod! I'm a little undertall for that method!
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

I agree with everyone about always retarding the ignition first. If you do that you'll likely rarely get kicked back by your bike again.

I don't like the term "kicking" to describe the action used for starting BT's. I prefer the term "bumping" the kicking arm instead. Weather you straddle the bike or stand to the side is a personal choice, either way all that is required to start a BT engine is a solid “bump” of the pedal not a massive kick. Let those big flywheels do the work for you. Also never start a “bump” with the kicker arm above the eight o’clock position. That also is a waste of your energy.

Now for the no starting thing and finding dry plugs. It could be the heart break of a manifold leak. Try a few extra kicks with the key off and fully choked before going for the money kick.
                    ------------
                    Steve
                    AMCA #7300

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. They really helped. My Dad who has been taking all the abuse from this thing is 5'9" and 155 lbs so the weight and height are not on his side. He does pretty good for a 56 year old though Not quite tall enough to straddle the seat. With his bruised right ankle and tender knee, he's been kicking it over left footed, with both feet on the kick side of the bike. It actually works better for him because he is left handed and has a little more strength and control with his left foot. Luckily he is not heavy enough to topple the bike over on himself. Besides, that is what they make crash bars for right? He's taken all your tips and has a much better time getting this thing started. We found a small leak from a hairline crack in one of the upper tins (bottle jars) or whatever we're gonna call them. Took the front head off. Found pretty solid evidence that WAY too much oil was getting up top. Restricted the flow a little, now cylinders are less wet with oil which helps--nothing up top is squeaking and the IR gun shows temperatures up top are still good so I don't think we've gone too far. Retarded the timing a little for start, got it a little wetter and have had much better luck.

Thanks again for the help.

-Jim (the younger one)

Comment

Just so you know, the average sized rider in the '30s to '50s was about 5'8" and around 145lbs. There were also a fair number of women riders. Electric starts did not exist. So what exactly is the problem? And I'm your dads age and been kicking for 43 years. 5'10" and with my middle age spread about 165.
                        Robbie
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I'll tell you the problem RUB

There is no problem

People gave me some great advice on proper technique and now it isn't so bad.

Glad to know we fit the same profile as the people back then

Also glad to know that we can get out kicked by girls.

Appreciate you pointing that out

Comment

I remember as a 15 year old teenager seeing a tiny black women who couldn't have been over 85 # soaking wet starting her early '60s Duoglide. She launched herself way up to come down on the starter pedal. She did it, too, And then she kicked it in gear and rode off the kickstand because she couldn't lift the bike up to put it up. I always thought of her when I was having trouble getting started.
                            Robbie
                            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Reminds me of a story from a few years back..... a buddy of mine was having trouble getting his Indian 4 started at a bike rally. He booted it, took a break, booted it, (repeat multiple times) and couldn't for the life of him get it started. Well, when he was at his weekest hour a gal walks up beside him barefoot mind you and proceeds to one kick her '54 Pan to life and ride away! The look on his face was priceless! These things happen, ya just gotta take them in stride.....
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X