Hard to re-finish parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to re-finish parts

So I was wondering, what is everyone else doing to re-finish things like the cover dowels in engine cases or trans cases? I really hate to disturb such things and dread the thought of pulling them to re-plate or parkerize, but they are exposed after assembly and will need protected from corrosion. Then there is an item like the bushing that the release finger shaft passes through in the kick cover. It was put in, so I know it could be removed, but I don't think it was ever intended to be and I would rather not. How are folks dealing with these things?
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

bmh,

You have read my mind, as I get closer to finishing the motor I too have found myself asking what do people do?
    Josh Richardson
    1948 EL Panhead
    www.GrandpasHarley.com

Comment

Maybe what we should have is anyone that has done a 95 plus resto post what they have done to get to that point. It would save a lot of us tons of time.
      or maybe a new section on resto procedures and a second for companys that do certain things, like cad, parkerizing, wheel straightening and rebuilding etc.

just my humble opinion why reinvent the wheel
      Moose
      aka Glenn

Comment

The dowel pins in trans cases and engine cases are natural machined finish. I shine them up with a scotch bright pad. Once you have your trans top or cam cover on for the last time, put a little bit of clear varnish on them to prevent them from rusting, especially the trans ones.
        A.M.C.A. Board Member

www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.com

www.pre1916scramble.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Mathew, I have done the clear nail polish over trans dowels in the past to keep them from rusting. I guess I just figuired there had to be a proper way to restore them. Any advice on the kicker cover bushing? I see now it does have it's own part number so it was figuired to be renewed when neccesssary. If it's gotta be pulled , plated , and pressed back in.... any advice on pulling it? Other than heating up the cover first?
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

removing kicker cover sleeve

the sleeve removes easily without heating the cover. use a thick washer slightly smaller than the od of the sleeve. using a short piece of all-thread with the nut and washer on the bottom inside the cover and a deep socket or piece of pipe larger than the sleeve and an inch or so taller, another thick washer and nut on top and the sleeve will pull out easily with a box end wrench or i use a gear wrench. reinstall to the same depth as before---measure it. while it is out just parkerize it along with the rest of your hardware. you can press it back or usually it will tap in with a dead blow hammer without damaging the finish. hope this helps

Comment

We use a slide hammer and heat to remove ande replace the bushing, most were cad plated except for war year models. Our slide hammer has a depth guage for reinstalling also, it makes it a piece of cake.
              Carl
              http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

removing the kicker sleeve

hello carl----i'm sure harley made a tool somewhat like a cam bearing puller for the job. i was just trying to help someone with a low tool budget that might only do it once or twice. i mostly restore knuckleheads so i parkerize them. right now i'm restoring a 43F a 45FL two 46FL's two 47FL's and a 47 EL
                i always get a kick out of the tv shows that build all the fancy billet bikes. who couldn't build a bike with 3-4 million dollars worth of equipment!!!??? throw it all away and most would be lost. you have always been a lot of help when i have called. thank you----stillman

Comment

Thanks guys, the slide hammer and heat was my planned course of action. Though the socket and bolt deal sounds intriguing.
                  Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Removing pressed-in index dowels for the sake of cosmetics?

A Q-tip full of earwax makes more sense.

...Cotten
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Man....this is Fantastic! I agree with Cotten 100%! If you are thinking about Traumatizing your castings, in one of the Few places they have Probably NOT been molested, for the sake of the Cosmetic appearance of a Locating Dowel, then you Probably need to take a Long Ride, on an Antique Motorcycle, on a country road just to clear your head.
                      http://laughingindian.com/
                      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                      A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

I'm sorry guys, but if I'm going to invest several years worth of my very limited free time to restore one motorcycle I'd like it to be as showroom fresh as is possible when I'm finished. Anything worth doing should be worth doing correctly, don't you think? My question was in regards as to how to restore such items without removal.
                        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Rub it with a piece of Crocus cloth to clean it. Then a bit of paste wax to keep it looking fresh.
                          Be sure to visit;
                          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                            Rub it with a piece of Crocus cloth to clean it. Then a bit of paste wax to keep it looking fresh.
                            They don't make wax like they used to..

....Cotten
                            Attached Files
                            AMCA #776
                            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I'm trying to imagine the factory that cranks that stuff out!........
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X