1911 Yale Single

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Yale Single

Anyone have any Yale's out there? or any photos, ads, parts, or information on 1911 Yale singles? I also was curious if the belt drive 1910-11 Yale single frames would work for a twin or a single. Some have said that the 1913-14 Thor frames would be the same for a single or twin motor, I was curious if these early Yale's would as well work with either motor?

Here's a Yale ad............. don't know enough about them to answer your question though....

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

1911 Yale Motorcycle

Thanks for the ad Cory, that would be the model I'd be looking for parts for. As far as I can tell, pre 1910 Yale singles were all under 4 hp, and the fender braces were still round stock until around 1911. Yale engineers also had to reconfigure the frame design half way through 1910, since their 1910 frames with a raised headtube neck, had obvious strength issues. Now I'm not sure about 1912 singles, I think they are still very close to the 1911's. Also, the Pratt seems to be a Yale in disguise, just rebadged. I'm hoping someone might have some of the following bits and pieces, some of the stuff wouldn't have to be Yale specific, but I need an early Troxel seat, gas tank, pedal crank assembly, front wheel, rear drop stand, spare motor parts or whole, etc. Even good patterns or drawings would be fine.

Comment

Sounds like you've got quite the interesting project. I did a little research and you seem to be up on the changes through '10 and '11. I'm pretty sure I've got Yale info for 1912 but not much on the '11. On the internet one fella seems to keep coming up in the credits for info.........Howard Heilman. Maybe you could get some help if you headed in that direction...
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

1908 Yale ???
          Attached Files
          Louie
          FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
          Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
          YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Yale

Thanks for the photo Louie, something seems a bit odd with that front fender, like it's incorrect, or the braces perhaps, but I'm no expert. Curious if anyone has any photos of 1912 Yale singles? that would help me determine if 11's are indeed that similar. Also, I do believe Howard Heilman has a lot of knowledge on the subject, and eventually I plan to consult him on it, I'm just trying more cost effective approaches first before I go that route. So no one has any Yale bits collecting dust?

Dave Koenig
            AMCA#1388
            dmk441@yahoo.com

Comment

Here are a couple of ads for 1912.......

Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Oh, and here's a link to an '11.............

http://www.yesterdays.nl/yale-1911-p-788.html
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

I have observed that 1911 seems to be the last year for seats with the hair spring front spring. I guess it must have looked "old timey" by late 1911. It's interesting to see the 1912 advertising copy using the earlier seat.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

While we're talking about Yale's........here's a clip of an open port '09 on the bench.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhVPd17iw9A
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

1911 Yale

Thanks for all the insight so far, those 12' ads are pretty nice. Wish I could tell by frame numbers or motor mount serial numbers what year Yale's were.

Comment

Wish I could be of more help Dave. I am going to pay attention though. I've always been partial to the early machines and it's nice to think of them up and running with people enjoying them.
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

from davenport 2008

aka HAWG
                          1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
                          1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
                          1940 indian chief military
                          1965 sportster xlch
                          1969 sportster xlch bobber
                          1971 bsa A65 chopper
                          1969 harley ss350 sprint
                          1960 harley topper
                          1963 harley topper
                          H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
                          H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
                          1949 harley model 125 bobber project
                          1959 harley model 165
                          1960 harley super 10
                          1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
                          EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

Cool pics!!! There's also a great one on the old photos thread that Scott Parker posted.......
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Dave, I'm going on an antique ride this weekend to a museum that is supposed to have a 1912 Yale. I'll get some pictures and see about recording the serial number.
                              Louie
                              FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                              Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                              YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Working...
                              X