NOS Turnip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS Turnip

Ya never know what yer gonna find or where yer gonna find it.

Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Every so often one of those TRWs shows up in Canada NOS!
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

TRW in crate

Looks like someones permanent display piece, I assume the metal frame on the crate has been added by a civilian owner?
      Doug.
      Doug McLaughlin #6607
      NorCal, USA

Comment

Read and have seen pictures of these Canadian Army finds over the last few years. Don't know if this is a new one as in recently found?

I'm bad that way since I don't have a huge wallet. I really don't think I would have the self control not to do what was meant when it was produced- assemble and run it.

Of course, meticulous photo records, audio, video, etc. Keep the crate intact and all the documentation. Make a display out of the crate, not the bike.

I just don't think I would have the heart to keep it in the crate. Guess I'm weak - but I like seeing this stuff used for it's intended purpose. Bring it to life.

That's just me I suppose.
        Ray
        AMCA #7140

Comment

Ray,

If you're weak, well meet a fellow weakling. I'm with you. As much as I'd love to have that bike, I'd want it assembled and running. The only way I could manage to prevent myself from putting it together, would be to get another, identical one that is already together and then putting this one in my living room (which would require either a new house, an addition or at the very least a serious redecorating exercise).

I think these finds belong in public museums for all to see and appreciate. That is where they have the most value. As much as I'd be driven to build it, once it's built it's just another bike. It's true value is this captured moment in the life of a bike.

regards,
          Rob
          Regards,
          Rob Sigond
          AMCA # 1811

Comment

A large number of TRWs have been cannibalized over the years to provide pieces to the far more collectible and desirable TR5 Trophy models. Canada used them for years and lots of NOS stock still exists. Occasionally they turn up in places like Jordan and Egypt where they were also used.
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hey Rob - yeah, keep the one in the crate and try to find another to play with :-)
              Ray
              AMCA #7140

Comment

Read this on a triumph forum.

"Those pictures were taken at the Mid America motorcycle auction in Las Vegas in January. The bike was bid to 25K but didn't reach the reserve."

Comment

Cannibals

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                  A large number of TRWs have been cannibalized over the years to provide pieces to the far more collectible and desirable TR5 Trophy models. Canada used them for years and lots of NOS stock still exist.
                  Robbie
                  I used an NOS TRW nacelle half, and several other pieces on my '53 T-Bird.
                  Doug.
                  Doug McLaughlin #6607
                  NorCal, USA

Comment

Originally posted by rousseau View Post
                    Read this on a triumph forum.

"Those pictures were taken at the Mid America motorcycle auction in Las Vegas in January. The bike was bid to 25K but didn't reach the reserve."
                    Hmmm, guess I wouldn't be able to afford 2 :-(
                    Ray
                    AMCA #7140

Comment

These Triumph TRWs were a $1 million purchase by the Canadian government in 1957. A lot of them were never removed from the crates and put into service - just stored in case of some future war????

In the 1970's they were gradually replaced in service by a limited number of Can-Ams and then the military Bombardier (Can-Am) 250cc two-stroke. The Triumphs were then sold off at disposal auctions, the used ones going for perhaps $500, the still-in-the-crate unused ones for around $800.

The 490cc sidevalve TRW was a mid-WWII development and was obsolete by the time the Canadian Army bought them. Their performance was pathetic beside the commercial Triumphs of the 1957 era - those had rear suspension, decent horsepower, etc., etc.

They had a tendency to blow head gaskets if held near the 65 mph top speed for any length of time - as needed with convoy work - and we used to regularly bring one or more disabled ones home in the back of a truck, even though our convoys were limited to 35 mph top speed.

AFJ

Comment

I have had a few of those new Triumph TRW s and in spite of their mechanical shortcomings are a very pretty "parade bike" . Check out this New Old Stock snortin' Norton never uncrated as seen at the Toronto bike show in January.

Comment

Very Nice!!
                          Ray
                          AMCA #7140

Comment

It would be allot nicer out on the road.
                            Dave Swanson
                            1956 FLH
                            1969 FLH
                            1964 XLCH
                            1956 KHK
                            1936 VD

AMCA 11659

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSwanson View Post
                              It would be allot nicer out on the road.
                              Amen to that. I don't think I could leave it in the box. Same with that Triumph.
                              Ray
                              AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
                              X