The "1906" Harley-D at Wauseon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "1906" Harley-D at Wauseon?

On page 20 & 22 of the Winter '08 issue, there is a photo and text description of a "1906" Harley-Davidson that was at Wauseon.

Did anyone take pictures of that machine that they could post?

That is an interesting machine for a number of reasons. It deserves a discussion as to what it consists of and why the owner calls it a "1906" model Harley-Davidson.

Hopefully the owner of the bike will join us in a discussion of his machine.
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

I had heard a few years back that a straptank motor or lower-end popped up at Davenport and that Mr. McGill was the lucky one to have bought it. Glad to see that he has made something out of it! I would like to see photos as well.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, that bike may have been at Davenport in '07. If it's the same machine I'm thinking of then I have a picture or two captured. The only problem is I've accumulated quite a few rolls of film since then and I've yet to develop most of it! Not much help am I? I too think it's great that something got done with the motor, but I'm a little confused how it got labled as an '06.
      Last edited by c.o.; 12-11-2008, 10:37 PM.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
        but I'm a little confused how it got labled as an '06.
        what year is it then?

Comment

Wasn't he at Oley this year to?

Not a 100% sure but I thought those bikes were at Oley this year I stopped to take a look there were some people around the bikes all talking but I was trying to scrounge up some VL parts.

In the article he says that the restored 06 has the 2nd earliest serial number known the motor in the photo has 8 studs.

Either way I think they both look great and it's good to see something has been done with both of the motors and parts.
          Chuck
          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Can anyone see from the mag photo or remember from seeing this bike in person what decal or logo that is on the front of the neck???
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
              what year is it then?
              What do we know about 1906 H-D motors from original photos?

Hint: The kids have no shoes....
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======

Comment

what year is it then?
                I was going to answer you, but I won't ruin Herb's quiz. I don't know the year for sure, but it's not '06. I noticed that Danny indicated that the motor number was the second oldest that he's ever seen. I'm thinking that both Bruce and Lonnie Sr.'s machines surely have earlier numbers..... It would be nice to have more info on Danny's bike though. It looks like he did a nice job.

Herb, I tried to zoom in on that neck badge, but I can't get it clear enough......
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

I was going to answer you, but I won't ruin Herb's quiz. I don't know the year for sure, but it's not '06. I noticed that Danny indicated that the motor number was the second oldest that he's ever seen. I'm thinking that both Bruce and Lonnie Sr.'s machines surely have earlier numbers..... It would be nice to have more info on Danny's bike though. It looks like he did a nice job.

Herb, I tried to zoom in on that neck badge, but I can't get it clear enough......
                  Bruce's motor and the Factory Lobby bike (SNO #1) motor, both 1905 models, do not have serial numbers.

Lonnie Sr.'s motor and the Factory (SNO #2) motor, both 1906 models, do not have serial numbers.

All known 1905 and 1906 model motors have 6-stud construction.
                  Rick Morsher, aka Earl
                  AMCA #1905

Comment

A few years ago there was a 1906 engine in a partial frame that sold at Oley. I wonder if this is that machine?
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                      A few years ago there was a 1906 engine in a partial frame that sold at Oley. I wonder if this is that machine?
                      Could be Oley, but I was thinking it was Davenport. I have been to both meets and my memory sometimes fails me. I never did get to see the motor that was bought. Rumor has it that it showed up, was purchased within a couple of minutes, and ushered out of sight.

Comment

Could be Oley, but I was thinking it was Davenport. I have been to both meets and my memory sometimes fails me. I never did get to see the motor that was bought. Rumor has it that it showed up, was purchased within a couple of minutes, and ushered out of sight.
                        As I recall the asking price was $6,000.00
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                          As I recall the asking price was $6,000.00
                          Wow... there still are bargains out there!

Comment

Think what that would have brought on eBay ...even a picture of it! ...bill in oregon
                            Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

I thought the neck logo might be a Bar & Shield decal, but somebody who saw the bike wasn't so sure about that and thought it might be something else.

If it is a Bar & Shield decal, it fits into my theory why the owner thinks he has a "1906" model (not).
                              Herbert Wagner
                              AMCA 4634
                              =======

Comment

Working...
                              X