'55 Panhead exhaust paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '55 Panhead exhaust paint

Any suggestions (color, procedure, and type of paint) to match factory paint on head pipe(s), "y" pipe and "s" pipe?
    Thanks, and what a great forum this is!
    Wayne

High temp exhaust paint, silver or aluminum color.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris...

do you have photos of this size for a Type III WLA you could email me?

George
      George Greer
      AMCA # 3370

Comment

Beware!

Not just any silver or aluminium paint will suffice in the judges eyes. I used Hi-temp silver VHT (because it was the brighter of the two) and it still didn't pass judgement. The end result was too gray. I was told that it was supposed to match the H-D aluminum paint. The word 'Hirsch paint' came up. Any ideas on who has used it in the past and if it is available ..... where?

Wayne E. Feltham #4329

Comment

exhaust paint

The name Hirsch paint is unfamilar to me. I can tell you what I used, and that is the current
          Harley Davidson " Heat Resistant Silver Paint " part # 98660-78. Someone recomended it to me. Got it at the HD dealers. First time I'v been in a dealership in a looong time. It's nice and bright, I was happy with it....Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Rod K View Post
            It's nice and bright, I was happy with it....Rod
            Are you talking about the paint, or the Dealership?

Comment

"Restomotive"s POR 20 is the most heat resistant aluminum coating that I have found, and it suits me fine to represent "silicon aluminum" or whatever the original might have been in Factory pics that fools so many to think they were plated.

A propane torch doesn't faze it!
              But just like POR15 it has just one fatal flaw:
              It doesn't prevent rust under normal conditions.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Rooster.....The dealership was nice and bright also...I kind of liked the old dingy ones in the
                60s with all the chopper take off stuff over in the corner...Rod

Comment

Rooster.....The dealership was nice and bright also...I kind of liked the old dingy ones in the
                  heyyyyy... easy, Rod. I bought that stuff and it is still on MY chopper!
                  Wayne

Comment

Those are the ones I remember. A little grease on the parts counter, where you could pull up a stool and light up a smoke. And not a T-shirt to be found...!

Comment

Problems......

I just got done re-painting my exhaust (and fixing a myriad of other issues) and finally fired up the bike. It's been since Oley.

Immediately, my garage was filled with smoke that was emanating from my new paint job on the exhaust components. Not only that, but that BEAUTIFUL satin smooth finish is g-o-n-e! The "s", "y" and rear header pipes now all look as rough as the painted cast cylinders. And the front header did something completely different - it bubbled.

P1010529.JPG

P1010531.JPG

What the heck?

I had lightly bead blasted the components, not completely removing all of the VHT Silver paint I originally painted them with (and was judged to be too "grey").
                      I then cleaned the pipes with JP-1 aerosol (alchohol) and painted everything at one time with H-D Silver heat resistant paint exactly according to the directions on the can. No curing procedures were done (as none were listed on the can).

I just don't get it. Contamination or humidity can't isolate to individual components as it did.

Does anybody out there have any expert wisdom that can lead me further down this crooked path? Another "do over"! This exhaust has cost me 1/2 point every time. Little did I know it would be such a pain in the #$@. I guess it is true that the devil is in the details.

I guess now I should strip it all completely down to bare metal and simply repaint again with H-D Silver heat resistant - but can it handle the heat? Will it retain that smooth satin finish? Or will it roughen up?

Crying in my soup,
                      Wayne #4329

Comment

Wayne, I have used the HD silver high temp paint on my 48 Pan Head cylinders and got about 600 miles on them. So far so good. My exhaust is painted black. Good luck...Rod

Comment

Working...
                        X