Early Panhead Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Panhead Horn

I have an early Panhead ('50) that was converted to 12 volts before I owned it. They also hung the cheeziest little horn on it that I've ever seen. I picked-up a 12 volt "replica" that I thought wouldn't look too bad for now, but even with the chrome cover removed you can tell its Taiwan from 50 feet. After disecting it, I got to wondering what the difference is between a 6 and 12volt horn, and could an OEM 6volt be converted to 12? All sources I've seen say not to put 12volts to a 6volt horn when converting, but I have an old 6volt horn in one of my old trucks (converted to 12 volts) that been OK for years- maybe I just don't use the horn much. Guess I could hide a volt-drop behind the fork tins. I'm sure I'm not the first to 'rassle with this problem, anyone have any ideas?
    Doug.

Check here:

www.45partsdepot.com

https://flatland.oursafeserver.com/4...duct_id=144808

I can special order it for you in 12-Volt if you want.

Kurt

Comment

Kurt, can anyone buy at the 45 Parts Depot website? I've seen lot's of great stuff there but it looks like it's restricted to dealers.

Comment

Yes, anyone can buy.

If I may, why do you think it's only for dealers? I'll try to make sure that no one else thinks so.

I also have a box for AMCA members to check when they register. I donate 3.5% of the product sale to the European Chapter to help them grow.

Kurt

Comment

Doug, I converted my pan over to 12v four years back and didn't swap out the horn and the 6v horn has been working just fine all this time for me.

Kurt.. I'm another person who thought that 45partdepot was for dealers only. Thats why I was excited to hear about you opening a store front operation in Warren. -Steve

Comment

Is it because of the new registration process?

Comment

Kurt, Several times guys have put up links to your site, but all I can get is the main heading on your home page. I see it says I have to accept "cookies", maybe that's the problem. Why do I have to take cookies? Do you have an analog(printed) catalog?

Steve, I've used 6volt horns with 12volts before and got away with it, but for what I've been seeing HD horns go for lately, I was concerned about frying one.
              Doug.

Comment

Doug,

Sorry, no catalog at this time.

This is a better definition about cookies than I can write:

Without cookies, websites and their servers have no memory. A cookie, like a key, enables swift passage from one place to the next. Without a cookie every time you open a new web page the server where that page is stored will treat you like a completely new visitor.

Websites typically use session cookies to ensure that you are recognised when you move from page to page within one site and that any information you have entered is remembered. For example, if an e-commerce site did not use session cookies then items placed in a shopping basket would disappear by the time you reach the checkout. You can choose to accept session cookies by changing the settings in your browser

Comment

Originally posted by KDR
                  If I may, why do you think it's only for dealers? I'll try to make sure that no one else thinks so.
                  Maybe it's the link to Colony USA on your top web page? I thought they were wholesale only. Clicking on the link I see it takes you to eBay so they are listing some things there now. ...bill

Comment

Bill,

Actually Colony USA (& soon Colony Europe) are my companies. We are a worldwide distributor for Colony....both retail and wholesale.

The link to the Ebay sales is only temporary as we are working on a new site for their entire line of products. We have them all listed there (Ebay) now, but I honestly dislike Ebay and want to have a website of my own.

Kurt

Comment

Re: Early Panhead Horn

Originally posted by D.Mac
                      I got to wondering what the difference is between a 6 and 12volt horn, and could an OEM 6volt be converted to 12? All sources I've seen say not to put 12volts to a 6volt horn when converting, but I have an old 6volt horn in one of my old trucks (converted to 12 volts) that been OK for years- maybe I just don't use the horn much. Guess I could hide a volt-drop behind the fork tins. I'm sure I'm not the first to 'rassle with this problem, anyone have any ideas?
                      Doug.
                      The difference between 6 and 12 volt is the size of the wire and the number of turns. When doubling the voltage, The rule of thumb is to half the wire size area and double the number of turns.

Now, that being said, I've been involved in converting several (4-6) Harleys to 12 volts with converted 32E generators and the regulator from Kurt. None of the horns have been changed out. At most a minor adjustment was needed to get the honk to sound right. I assume if people have had problems it's been with the motor driven horns. The Delco Remy 16 horn is pretty much indestructible ... Perry

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I feel more comfortable with using a stock horn with my 12v system. Eventually that is what I will do, for now I'm stuck with my Taiwan "replica", because I got mad and modified it to look at least a little bit better. (post terminals, no phillips screws, etc) I don't have a problem with re-pop parts per-se, but I don't understand why anyone goes to the trouble to have a part reproduced that either doesn't fit, is just plain wrong or both. This month the worst offender has a 2 page spread in our magazine, seems to me like a slap in the face to all of us. Sorry for the cranky rant, I feel better now.
                        Doug.
                        Last edited by D.Mac; 02-22-2008, 03:38 PM. Reason: better wording
                        Doug McLaughlin #6607
                        NorCal, USA

Comment

All that was mentioned in this thread was the Model 16 horn. I want to run 12volts and use a '54-'64 style jubilee horn with a stock 6v power pack. Do I need to add a resistor or? Is anyone currently doing this that could comment on whether 12v into a 6v power pack will work? Thanks.
                          Last edited by BigLakeBob; 10-13-2018, 03:32 PM.
                          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by KDR View Post
                            Bill,

Actually Colony USA (& soon Colony Europe) are my companies. We are a worldwide distributor for Colony....both retail and wholesale.

The link to the Ebay sales is only temporary as we are working on a new site for their entire line of products. We have them all listed there (Ebay) now, but I honestly dislike Ebay and want to have a website of my own.

Kurt
                            I agree and thanks for all you do Kurt.
                            AMCA #765

Comment

resistor m.jpg This is from a book called 'Motorcycle Science' written in 1977. Does anyone know the resistance value of the horn or how I can determine it, or the amps required to operate the 6v horn?
                              Last edited by BigLakeBob; 10-14-2018, 06:15 AM.
                              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
                              X