seat post springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seat post springs

Has anyone come up with a good spring combo for a 200lb guy? I bought a seat post from v-twin, supposedly a heavy duty high dollar POS that bottoms out at the drop of a hat. Anyway, with that off my chest, I was looking at the ASRaymond spring website, and they have springs that will fit in the seatpost, but I have no idea what pounds per inch to buy. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks for any input! Mike http://asraymond.com/help/search.asp

I also being on the heavy side have done this with great sucess!! cut a shock spring off a sportster(see HDs are good for something!) and fit it over the seat post works good for BIG bumps and small!

Comment

Is the spring rod at bottom of post adjusted right?

The compressed length of 3 bottom springs is

STANDARD SPRINGS 150-180 LBS=12 INCHES

" " 180-220 LBS=10& 1/2 INCHES

H/D SPRINGS OVER 220 LBS=11& 1/2 INCHES

I would check to see what they're set to then try tweaking them a bit.As you pre load the springs they're rate in LBS will go up.

Comment

One of my buds put a big block Chevy valve spring over the seat post and works for him, I would do the same but it would ruin my frame cover unless I trim it. Spike

Comment

I'm pretty sure what Dave is getting at -is that if you have the proper springs and they are adjusted correctly you don't need a helper or cheater spring. The pogo can be adjusted to anyones weight, and I mean ANYONES!

Comment

Yup.........I know a fella that rode a 45 hard for many years, and he was huge............. When a string-bean buddy of mine bought it from him, he had to do some adjustments. Until that time his first few rides felt like a true rigid.......

Comment

You got it Adminguy
              These things aren't assembled with love,they'll just put the springs on and do up the nut to keep them in place.

The springs may not even be in the right order.It will make a differance.

Comment

With a fleet of Pans and knuckleheads Ive tried everything suggested! Ive been riding them for well over 40 years now,my fatass and the pogo is helped tremendously by the for after mentioned spring,use it and smile or dont .......it makes no nevermind to me!

Comment

There is an AMCA member that has taken the time to make up spring sets to accomodate any size rider. He has done his work well and sells a set for around 50.00. It was money well spent for me. Send me an e-mail Mike and I will send you the contact info.

Comment

I think I set mine at 11", I'll tighten it up to 10 1/2" and check it out, Thanks for the tip! Koans,yes I'd like the guys e=mail you spoke of, I couldn't find your address though. Mike

Comment

Would this "spring man" by any chance have stouter springs for the seat on a '27 Henderson? They're not at all like the Harley post springs, but I'm figured it's worth a shot......

Comment

koans, I pulled my post out to verify the spring stack lenght, with the adjuster nut threaded all the way to the end of the threaded part of the rod I get a minimum lenth of 11 1/2" I don't see any way, other than adding more threads to the rod, to get 10". Please let me know if you can find the "spring" dudes' address, Thanks for the help! PS I also checked with AS Raymond spring corp. and found various springs that are physicly the correct size but with various spring rates, determined by the wire size used to make the coils. I'm thinking I could possibly measure the wire diameter used in my seatpost then move up a size for the replacements, problem is the price is about 20 bucks each, and I would still be guessing. Mike

Comment

Call Dave Croft at 440-322-0749. He has the plan for setting up HD posts, but I don't know if he has worked out a system for other makes. I just saw him at Oley, but didn't get a chance to talk with him about springs for my Chief.

Comment

drop an old FL outer valve spring over the post. an old guy turned me onto that trick a long time ago . won't cost nothing to try.

Comment

bmh thats too simple everyone these days wants something more than simplicity !

Comment

Working...
                              X