Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '65 circuit breaker kit.

Hi People!
    Well I am still looking for that one part for my '65 FLH. The circuit breaker conversion kit, pt# 74585-65. I though I had a line on it, from another member, but I never heard back on it, and I don't have a contact point for it.
    Thanks, Mike

Not sure what you're after but would this work?

www.EBeyond2000.net/quickstart.html

Comment

Nope, I need a real HD cicuit breaker conversion kit, not a spark interuptor.

Comment

What is it?
        Conversion to what?
        Was '65 dual point, originally?

Comment

Re: '65 circuit breaker kit.

Originally posted by portagepan
          Hi People!
          Well I am still looking for that one part for my '65 FLH. The circuit breaker conversion kit, pt# 74585-65. I though I had a line on it, from another member, but I never heard back on it, and I don't have a contact point for it.
          Thanks, Mike
          Hi Mike
          Now be nice,don't bite.Where did you get that number?No such # shown on HD master parts list.74586-65 (contact set?) is nearest.

Dave.

Comment

74586-65 Circuit breaker, only FL, FLH late'66-'69. early Shovelhead.

I can get them for you. Import or U.S.A. High priced though. Paps

Comment

That number is listed in the 68 parts list. Late 66 added a circuit breaker between the battery and the rest of the bike (except the starter). The conversion kit isn't illustrated, but based on the wiring diagram for late 66 it looks like it would be the circuit breaker and two wires (battery to breaker, breaker to regulator). I guess the kit might also include a mounting bracket or chrome cover ... Perry

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Ruiter
                That number is listed in the 68 parts list. Late 66 added a circuit breaker between the battery and the rest of the bike (except the starter). The conversion kit isn't illustrated, but based on the wiring diagram for late 66 it looks like it would be the circuit breaker and two wires (battery to breaker, breaker to regulator). I guess the kit might also include a mounting bracket or chrome cover ... Perry
                Is that 74585 or 74586 ?

Comment

Both ... Perry

Comment

Uhhh....I'm getting it now.
                    You don't mean the points thingy...also known as a circuit breaker.
                    I never knew this existed.
                    I just hang a 15 amp breaker off my negative terminal.
                    Goes right to the frame lug.
                    I suppose you're trying to stay original, though.

Comment

Hi Charlie
                      Yes i have a 15 amper hanging there now. I beats frying the harness when a wire shorts out inside the handle bars. Everybody else, look on page 113 of the '58 to'68 parts book. Mine is printed by Antique Cycle Supply. The part number, again is 74585-65. The bracket, and the breaker, I think, are all one piece, and the wires are molded on, too. I think they mounted it on the side, or underneath the battery tray, depending on the chrome cover that was on the particular bike. I suppose this was a dealer installed part?

Comment

the breaker

i know the one you are talkin about, do you need a factory one?

I have them on different bikes in the past
                        there is the one that mounts on the battery
                        and the one that mounts under the battery box i believe...

i am sure you can get em aftermarket

Comment

Yes, I want a factory one. I am trying to do this bike right. Not like the fakes on ebay that go for ridiculous prices. I am doing this for myself. Period. This is not a points bike. It says 1965 on the title, then that is what it will be.

Comment

You might try finding just the 74586-65 breaker,and adapting it to fit. This type has the molded on wires, which is likely what was contained in the kit. The first FXs had a similar circuit breaker, too.
                            VPH-D

Comment

Yes, I have one of those. But if you look at the parts book picture the mount is different. The one you mentioned uses the pop rivet through the middle of the bracket, behind it. THe original, I believe was all one thing, with an upper and lower hole in the bracket for mounting. Seems like a lot to go through just to get a breaker mounted, but I want it right. These bikes are just old enough to not interest a lot of AMCA members, and too old for me to find a dealer around here that remembers, or goes back that far.

Comment

Working...
                              X