Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Traveleer Saddlebag?

Just for confusion, Fletcher,..

Your accessory page mentions the Chieftains' "mounting plate permanently riveted to bag".
    This set has removable plates with 3/8" studs and nuts (which have been lost, presumably when the mounts were painted with a brush).
    The rivets seem to secure the bag to itself quite well.

At least they have the 'expanders'!
    They are surprisingly clean inside, and have never been molested with neats'foot or mink oil fungus food.

The backside of the bags are tailored for clearance over a shock, but much, much less of a pocket than some sculpted BUCOs on the wall.
    (The underside has a rectangular plate riveted.)

....Cotten
    PS: We might have answers for these questions if the AMCA hadn't ostracized those who know.
    The so-called "judging system" has destroyed far more History than it ever, ever preserved.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-09-2020 at 03:07 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Your accessory page mentions the Chieftains' "mounting plate permanently riveted to bag".
    Chieftain bags were listed and pictured in other catalogs without mounting plates. Would be happy to look at any photos you can share.

Don’t know if you saw item #12 in this thread, but my guess was and still is Chieftain. Possibly just a different production version. Possibly shown in some catalog I haven't seen or never shown in a catalog.

Don’t know what distinguishes (a) “permanently” riveted bags (e.g., Chieftain and Roamer) from (b) other riveted bags (e.g., Traveleer) or mounting plate fitted bags (e.g., Vagabond) or other bags shown with mounting plates (e.g., Tourist). According to Indian, the separate accessory replacement mounting plates are permanent too.

I don’t know what Indian was like, but things may have been crazy as and after they went under. Someone was still putting out accessory catalogs and selling accessories.
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

I think in an earlier post, I think I mentioned showing the inside and backside of my bags. Here you can see the metal bar (inside) the bag that attaches to the mount on the back fender. There are 2 Wing Nuts on each bag that hold the bags to the fender. These are pictures of the LEFT SIDE saddlebag.

DSCN0614.jpgDSCN0616.jpgDSCN0615.jpg
    Jim

AMCA #6520

That's how the bags in my previous posts mounted, Jim!

But I'm confused about two wing-nuts: Aren't there five studs?

Your 'shock-pocket' is a sewn-in separate piece of leather, however my example was only cut and shaped before stitching, and probably giving a lot less clearance.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776

The three posts in the center are (I suppose) alignment "pins" and are not threaded studs like the outermost two, which is where the wing nuts attach. I take it the center three pins also help the weight of the saddlebag "hang" on the extra pins rather than just hang on the two outer threaded posts.
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The three posts in the center are (I suppose) alignment "pins" and are not threaded studs like the outermost two, which is where the wing nuts attach. I take it the center three pins also help the weight of the saddlebag "hang" on the extra pins rather than just hang on the two outer threaded posts.
    Uh oh, Jim,..

My example has only four threaded studs for each bag.

No idea what the nuts were...

...Cotten
    AMCA #776