rear brake drum for '56 KHK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brake drum for '56 KHK

I have new 49T and 51T sprockets, but only one rear brake drum. I am considering buying a spare rear drum so I will have one with a 49T sprocket and one with a 51T sprocket. That way, I can switch ratios without having to mess with rivets. It appears that later (1954?) drums have "cogs." I am not sure what this means. J&P / V Twin sells one but it is not clear whether it has cogs. Does anyone have a suggestion where I might find a good, correct rear drum for my '56 KHK besides swap meets and eBay?
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Aren't the drums pretty much the same from 52-78? I'm curious how one could rivet a 49t sprocket, which would have to have a smaller diameter, onto the drum?
    VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by vph-d View Post
      Aren't the drums pretty much the same from 52-78? I'm curious how one could rivet a 49t sprocket, which would have to have a smaller diameter, onto the drum?
      VPH-D
      The '49 tooth sprocket as used on the KH/KHK was the same inner diameter, only the tooth pitch, outer diameter was smaller. They fit any K/Sportster drum. The 'cogs" are merely cast in blocks on the back of the drum.
      Last edited by Rubone; 10-24-2020, 11:12 AM.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I didn't know that, thanks...
        VPH-D

Comment

Here is a tutorial on riveting sprockets to a drum from "Dr Dick" on the xl forum:
          http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1526811

I have copied his advice onto a Word document which is attached. The photos would be helpful, but are too voluminous to attach. If you need them, send your e-mail to me and I'll shoot them out to you. Rear Sprocket Riveting Tutorial.docx
          George Tinkham
          Springfield, IL
          www.virmc.com
          AMCA # 1494
          1941 Indian 841
          1948 Indian Chief
          1956 H-D KHK
          1960 CH
          1964 BMW R69S
          1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
          1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Good timing, thanks George! I'm installing a new sprocket on my Chief drum and it's quite a lot of hammer work, so far 6 out of 12 peened and that XL discussion helps!
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Working...
            X