Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Pics of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by ihrescue View Post

Here is another photo of the cycle but now with the whole company. Also notice the officer in the front seat has a double breasted uniform coat and the firefighters have all plain coats.

Attachment 30036
    This image has previously been posted by the H-D Museum, it's the Lloyd St. station Eng. Co. #24 circa 1919-20. The 1918 engine house roster shows no man named Kirby.

Very interesting photo! From the motorcycle, to the architectural details of the firehouse windows and the house next door, and to the truck with its two-triangle logo on the top of the radiator shell and what appear to be wooden spoke wheels. Nice clear picture but I don't see our man Kirby in the crowd!
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Quote Originally Posted by pisten-bully View Post
    Very interesting photo! From the motorcycle, to the architectural details of the firehouse windows and the house next door, and to the truck with its two-triangle logo on the top of the radiator shell and what appear to be wooden spoke wheels. Nice clear picture but I don't see our man Kirby in the crowd!
    Yes I really like this photo. All the guys are looking in different directions - all with stern faces. Did you notice the small white object in the photo to the left by the house? It looks like a kid sitting there playing. I would imagine those tires are also hard rubber. Imagine that kidney buster ride across cobblestone streets. I was able to communicate with someone from the Milwaukee Fire Department Historical Society and he said that the person identified as Kirby is more likely from Harley Davidson plant security. He said the uniform and badge are all wrong fro the fire department. I guess it shows us once more the value of questioning even what we see.

Vintage Pic of the Day - October 19, 2020

Looks like a nice outing to a longtime burger place.

IMG_6169 copy.jpg

Mike Love
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by pisten-bully View Post
    the truck with its two-triangle logo on the top of the radiator shell and what appear to be wooden spoke wheels.
    Must be a Dodge!

Dodge.jpg
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Mike Love, Of interest to you might be that I used carbon tetra-chloride by another trade name to kill the fumes in used gas tanks when I welded them and to clean my M-16 after qualifying on the gun range before heading to Southeast Asia in the late 60's. It used to turn your hands white. They never told us it was cancer causing but a bullet would do did the same job anyway. Rich
    DrSprocket

Quote Originally Posted by RichO View Post
    Mike Love, Of interest to you might be that I used carbon tetra-chloride by another trade name to kill the fumes in used gas tanks when I welded them and to clean my M-16 after qualifying on the gun range before heading to Southeast Asia in the late 60's. It used to turn your hands white. They never told us it was cancer causing but a bullet would do did the same job anyway. Rich
    No RichO they didn't tell you. Maybe they didn't know either. My brother was showered with Agent Orange every day for a year in the Viet Nam jungles and ended up with a certified cancer link tied to the defoliant which ultimately killed him. I do try to make sure I use gloves and a 3M respiratory when using solvents. If I don't I do get the reaction to the skin and always have a week of lingering cough if I don't protect the lungs. Hope everyone dons the PPE.

Mike Love

Vintage Pic of the Day - October 20, 2020

So, even way back people chose to wear the name of their favorite cycle on a sweater.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 8.05.09 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Vintage Pic of the Day - October 20, 2020

So, even way back people chose to wear the name of their favorite cycle on a sweater.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 8.05.09 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love
    The year is 1914, that's Miss Della Crewe and her dog Trouble photographed on Chestnut St with the H-D factory in the background.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...lla-crewe.html

Way to go Badger 34 -thanks for those details.

Mike Love