Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paint Colors 1937 EL

Quote Originally Posted by ammorest View Post
    Fletcher, that's interesting information. Where did you find that? Thanks Dave
    Looking for original source now. In meantime, below are additional references to color options for MY1937. I don't claim to know for a fact what color options were available for any year. Just sharing information in case it's helpful.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

[END]
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

Page 22 of the Nov 36 issue of Enthusiast said two colour options for 1937 models. Also notice what it said about the oil tank.

Page 60 of The Legend Begins mentions the steel oil tank on the 61, 74 and 80 models is enameled the colour of the motorcycle. Also notice it says 1937 H-Ds are offered in two colour options.

However, the order blank on page 62 provides three colours (as well as silver for police).
    Eric

Three standard colours for 1937 according to this H-D book (#99407-93).

Bruce Palmer’s 37–64 SE (2014) includes another colour for 1937 and it was olive green with black striping (edged in gold - export).
    Eric

Below are references to color options for MY1937, including source pages for excerpts provided above or separate references. Looks like different versions of same material, including (a) earlier (brown/tan) version that references only two (2) color options and (b) later (green) version that references three (3) color options.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

Photo 3:

Photo 4:

Photo 5:

Photo 6:

[END]
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

1. As to the MY1937 order blank posted above, does anyone know of any reference to a date or form number for that order blank (e.g., F-404-37 or F-404-37A)?
    2. Does anyone have a MY1937 order blank that is different from that order blank?
    3. Could there have been an earlier MY1937 order blank that only listed two (2) standard color options?
    4. Does anyone know whether HD stopped using the main color on the oil tank before or after HD introduced the third standard color option (main color “Delphine Blue striped in Red and edged in Gold”)?
    5. For example, does anyone know of any original paint (OP) main color Delphine Blue 1937 model with an OP Delphine Blue oil tank?
    Last edited by FCJ; 09-16-2020 at 11:31 PM.
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

For posterity, below from manual published by Antique Cycle Supply (1984).

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

[END]
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

Just found the answer in some stuff I had not been through yet. Looks like the third standard color option for MY1937 (main color Delphine Blue) was officially introduced effective November 30, 1936 (not long after production had started for MY1937). I assume that there was an early version of the 1937 Season Order Blank that listed only the initial two (2) standard color options (Teak Red and Bronze Brown), but I don’t think I have a copy of it.

Effective on and after November 30, 1936, all three (3) standard color options for MY1937 (Teak Red, Bronze Brown, and Delphine Blue) came with a black oil tank. If you ordered Teak Red or Bronze Brown, you could special order the main color for the oil tank by specific request on the order. But, for some reason, if you ordered Delphine Blue, you could not special order the main color for the oil tank.

Looks like special color orders after November 30, 1936 came with black oil tanks by default. But, I assume that you could specifically request the special color for the oil tank on the special order.

Per the News Bulletin: “Effective immediately, you can place new orders for 1937 Harley-Davidsons enameled delphine blue, striped in red and edged in gold, at no extra charge.”

“The new delphine blue color combination will carry the oil tank in black only and the tank is not obtainable in any other color. Also, our other 1937 color combinations will henceforth go forward with black oil tanks unless stated specifically on the order that the main color is desired. In the future, when motorcycles are ordered in special colors, the oil tank will also be black. For manufacturing reasons, it will be impossible to change color specifications on orders for 1937 models now in the plant.”
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

Thanks all for this information, the decision is made Delphine blue, I’m pretty sure my oil tank is OP and its black.

Then F-404-38 Order Blank Lists three colors
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Then F-404-38 Order Blank Lists three colors
    Did you mean -37? What do you think happened?

Maybe the initial version of order blank F-404-37 listed only two (2) standard color options and maybe (because it was so early in the production year) HD didn’t change the form number to F-404-37A when HD created a new version of the order blank to list three (3) standard color options?

Or, do you think there was never a MY1937 order blank that listed only two (2) standard color options?
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282